Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2601867 Alexander SMART - C.E.F.

Blackblue

I have located a great uncle 2601867 Alexander SMART C.E.F. on the Canadian Archives site and downloaded his Attestation Papers.

According to his papers his initial unit was No. 5 Company R.C.G.A C.E.F. Draft. I guess this is Royal Canadian Garrison Artillery? Can anyone explain the significance of this unit to me? Does this mean this was the 5th Company of the Draft for the RCGA and he was then shipped out to a battery?

Written on the top of the Attestation Papers is also the abbeeviation Ex. B.C.R.M.U.S.A. Can anyone tell me the significance of this? At the time he living in Seattle after having emigrated from Scotland.

Regards

Tim

You've asked a question about the most convoluted and reorganized service in the CEF.

Your great uncle enlisted in Victoria, B.C. in November, 1917. His attestation papers and service number (2601801-2602800) indicate he enlisted in No. 5 Company, Royal Canadian Garrison Artillery Draft. I admit I'm only speculating here, but he might have been transfered to No. 9 Canadian Siege Battery.

Here's the history of the No. 9 Canadian Siege Battery - formed in Halifax on April 20, 1916 as 8th Overseas Battery, Canadian Siege Artillery from personnel of the Royal Canadian Garrison Artillery stationed at Halifax, St. John, and Esquimalt, redesignated 273rd (Canadian) Siege Battery at Lydd, UK, redesignated 9th Canadian Siege Battery at Lydd, UK on January 29, 1917.

The city of Esquimalt (which is next door to Victoria) supplied Garrison Artillery men to the 9th Canadian Siege Battery.

Finally, the three brigades of the Canadian Garrison Artillery were composed of units from No. 1 through No. 12 Canadian Siege Batteries and the 1st and 2nd Canadian Heavy Batteries and Ammunition Columns. The 9th Canadian Siege Battery was part of the 1st Brigade.

The only way to determine where you're great uncle ended up serving is by ordering his CEF records from the National Archives of Canada.

Hope I haven't completely confused you. :lol:

Garth

P.S. - I don't have a clue what B.C.R.M.U.S.A. means. :huh:

Written on the top of the Attestation Papers is also the abbeeviation Ex. B.C.R.M.U.S.A

That is intriguing. Can it be British Columbia Regiment/Recruiting M----- United States of America?

What can the M---- stand for? He was living in Seattle; was he lured up to Victoria to enlist by a recruiting outfit stumping through the Pacific Northwest? Or did he travel up there on his own . . .

Mordac, do you have any links to Seattle papers that might have ads for recruiting meetings around this time?

Why didn't he join the American army?

Again, if only my time machine wasn't in the shop . . .

Peter in Vancouver

Many thanks guys,

Have ordered his papers so will keep you posted. I actually summised British Columbia Recruiting Movement USA as well. I would be interested to learn what it means. I have been researching him for a while and already obtained his SA Constabulary papers. I knew he went to Seattle but had no idea he joined the CEF. I was actually researching another relative and threw his name in on the off chance. Amazing things these searchable databases!!

Incidentally I will be in Vancouver from the 1st March and in Canada and the US for about six months on Long Service Leave from work. I am a reservist here (Australia) and I have actually organised an attachment to the 39 Canadian Brigade Group which funnily enough includes the British Columbia Regiment - small world!!

My shout for a beer Peter (or anyone else in the area) if you are about when I am there.

Cheers

Tim

Tim, I actually suggested to Mordac (Garth) today that we need another get together. Besides us two, Rob Bulloch and Bydand (Neil) comprise the West Coast Bakers Pals.

We'll be in touch . . .

Incidentally I will be in Vancouver from the 1st March and in Canada and the US for about six months on Long Service Leave from work.

Hi Tim:

As Broz has mentioned, it's time the West Coast Pals had another get together. Hope we can meet with you.

Garth

Cheers guys. I'll drop you a line some time in March.

TD