Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marine Light Infantry

Guest gen_wizard

Guest gen_wizard

Hi Pals,

Does anyone have the war diary for 1st R.M. Bn. R.N Div for the dates of 1st Nov 1917 to 7th Nov 1917? I would like to know where they were on these dates and if there is a mention of Private Walter Frederick Keep. I know that it is unlikely that an O.R. would be mentioned but you never know. I think that they were somewhere around Ypres or Passchendaele. He died on 6th Nov 1917 and is on the Tyne Cot Memorial.

He comes from the town that i'm living in and i am trying to research all the men that died in the great war so any help would be welcome. Thanks to anyone that can help.

Mike

Hi,

1/RM was taking part in the second battle of Passchendaele during the period that you are enquiring about. The RND during this period was part of 13 Corps, 5th Army and took part in heavy fighting to the south of Poelcappel supporting the left flank of the Canadians. The RND were beginning the process of transferring to Cambrai in order to refit for another Ypres tour when your man died, but as a result of the Cambrai offensive they stayed in the Flesquires sector. I presume this is your man:

Name: KEEP, WALTER FREDERICK

Initials: W F

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Marine Light Infantry

Unit Text: 1st R M. Bn. R.N. Div.

Date of Death: 06/11/1917

Service No: PO/1657(S)

Additional information: Son of Mrs. A. Keep, of 1, Mount Pleasant, Station Hill, Didcot, Berks; husband of May Evelyn Annie Keep, of 2, Town Place, Eldon Terrace, Reading.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 1 and 162A

Cemetery: TYNE COT MEMORIAL

His service number indicates a hostilities only enlistment in the RMLI. Do you have his service record from the PRO? He may also have some records at the FAA museum, although I'm trying to establish exactly what records they may or may not hold. RNVR records for the RND that they held are now at the PRO. Might be a PRO trip for this one!

Regards,

Alex.

Guest gen_wizard

Alex,

Many thanks for the imfo. I have nothing on him except his CWGC record. You have the right man, that you found at CWGC. Looking at the dates is it not the 3rd battle of Ypres? I'm new to great war research so i'm not sure. I will try to get to the PRO sometime but being one of those people that are self employed its hard to get time off to get there. If you find out anything else please let me know. I am grateful for the imformation that you have already given me. THANKS.

Mike

Guest gen_wizard

John,

Many thanks for that, it was very imformitive. Read right through the diary from start to finish. I've now put that on faves so if anything else is needed for the RMLI then i'll know where to look. Again my thanks for your help.

Mike