Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Kaiava RAICINCIN Fiji Labour Cps d16/02/1918

christine liava'a

Remembering Today:

Pte Kaiava RAICINCIN, 41, Fijian Labour Corps, who died on 16.02.18. Mazargues War Cemetery, France

Well, is this my reward for reporting the repeated January 16 person? Thanks! :D

Kaiava RAICIUCIU, note difference in spelling, was no 41 in the Fiji Labour Corps.

He came from Lomaiviti, a province in Fiji which includes the town of Levuka, the earliest foreign town in the country., on the island of Ovalau.

9 Fijians from Lomaiviti enlisted, and some 1/2 castes and Europeans

Here is a photo of the cutter from Levuka about to leave for Suva, with prospective recruits aboard.

post-1-1076886705.jpg

Kaiava Raiciuciu is remembered on the Fijian Labour Corps memorial in Levuka

post-1-1076887454.jpg

Fiji Labour Corps Memorial, Levuka

post-1-1076887537.jpg

The Fiji Labour Corps was formed in 1917 under the leadership of Kenneth Allardyce, Secretary for Native Affairs, and his friend Ratu Sukuna, who had returned from service in the French Foreign Legion

They departed for Europe in May 1917, via Hawaii and Canada, causing comment en route

" Hatless, but crowned with the great mass of hair typical of the Melanesian race to which they belong, with regulation army shirt but with the native skirt, and all, with the exception of the white sergeants, barefooted, these troops made a unique and inspiring spectacle. "

Pacific Commercial Advertiser- Honolulu

post-1-1076888090.jpg

The Fiji Labour Corps arrived in France on 4 June 1917 and were stationed in the Pas de Calais, in Northern France, unloading equipment at the docks, until 24 January, 1918.They were then sent to Marseilles, in southern France, and later Taranto in southern Italy. Wherever they were based, the number of workers was able to be reduced by 30% due to their tremendous effort. Several died of chest infections and are buried in France and Italy.

A letter from one of the Fiji Labour Corps to his employer.

March 11, 1918

Dear Sir,

I am writing to tell you that we are doing very well. Notwithstanding the fact that we are far away from our own land, we have always performed cheerfully to the best of our abilities whatever work we are called upon by the authorities to do, just for the sake of our unknown little Fiji. We all wait like a particular person quite ready to carry out whatever our superior officer directs. Everyone seems lively and strong as taro in need of rough handling.

We have already passed many hardships and terrible events at Calais which there is no need to describe here, but no-one has to be daunted about it. At present we are all exceedingly anxious to be sent to the trenches. Wish we were 500 in number. This is the extent of my letter to you with kind regards to Mr Butler and yourself.

Malakai Vunidonu

Fiji Times 27 May, 1918

A letter from Ratu Glanville Lalabalavu, about their experiences in Calais.

Just a few lines to let you know our doings since we left Fiji.Our trip has been very interesting, and it has opened our eyes in seeing the wonderful sights over in this part of the world. We were stationed in Calais from July, 1917 until January 1918. Our stay in Calais was a pretty warm reception. We had air raids every night and morning. When the first raid greeted us, it was a fine sight to see the aeroplanes up in the air, and the shells bursting all around them, But when Jerry began dropping his bombs, I had the “wind up “ right enough. I wish our people in Fiji, just for one day, would have an air raid. I know for certain that our people would think that the Judgement Day had come. Towards the end of January, 1918, we left Calais for Marseilles; we travelled down in a luggage van, 40 men per truck. We were packed like sardines. After several days’ travelling we reached Marseilles at midnight. Early in the morning we were marched to a big camp called Camp Fornia, and from there we moved again to another camp called No 8 Rest Camp, about one a a half miles from the docks.

Marseilles was quite a change from Calais. No air raids, and one could sleep in peace

Kaiava Raiciuciu died in Marseilles. Whether he died of a chest infection or was wounded I do not know.

He is buried at Mazargues Cemetery, along with Sevuloni Tavaga, Avenisa Kalavo, Maciu Natoga, and Sakiusa Qaniuci, in their own small section.

If anyone could take photos of their graves, I would greatly appreciate it

The Fiji Labour Corps

There are only 2 copies of this photo in the world, as far as I know. Fiji Museum own the original, and printed me off another copy. It is a 5 part panoramic photo, 22 1/2 inches long, now reduced to A4

This was taken in Suva before they left for overseas, in 1917. A key did exist but cannot be found, so I cannot identify Kaiava or anyone else.

post-1-1076890282.jpg

Map of Fiji

post-1-1076891698.jpg

Christine

No references in the appropriate War Diaries to his death I am afraid.

Death was almost certainly caused by illness.

The FLC had arrived in Marseilles on 24 January 1918 having been moved from Northern France as it was reported that they were susceptible to respiratory diseases particularly pneumonia and bronchitis to respiratory diseases particularly pneumonia and bronchitis .

• 17 years later...