Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mass grave at Fromelles

Guest KevinEndon

Guest KevinEndon

Should the people digging the mass graves at Fromelles identify some of the bodies I expect they will be given a proper burial and a headstone. There names at present are listed on the panels to the missing. What will the CWGC do to the names on the panels. This is a question about Fromelles as its in the news at the moment but lets say it was a soldier on the Somme who is found but at present is remembered on Thiepval, what would happen to his name on the panel.

Kevin

Same as happens on all such occasions.

If a body is found and identified, the grave gets a headstone and the name is removed from the memorial in due course. This can take several years or even decades as it waits until the panel needs replacing. However, the official Debt of Honour is amended immediately.

I go the impression off the BBC news this morning that no decision has been taken as yet, regarding reburials should this be a mass grave.

"I go the impression off the BBC news this morning that no decision has been taken as yet, regarding reburials should this be a mass grave.."

I would think that the best thing to do is rebury the recovered remains in situ with suitable ceremony and dignity and then place a fitting memorial at the scene..

The reason I say this is that way they will be remembered and further more and as important, remembered for what they did.

To repatriate and scatter those that joined up served and fell together will only ensure that they will soon pass into oblivion.

The third option to repatriate and place a memorial is flawed insofar it will not be long before some one want to build a factory or housing estate or even a motorway or airport on the site and if there is only a memorial ... well that could be moved couldn't it, in the interests of progress..... or some other fiscal ploy

• 3 weeks later...

Henry James Kilpatrick 25th Northumberland Fusiliers--KIA-28th April 1917--ARRAS MEMORIAL.

Body found May 1936-- Body interred in Canadian Cemetery No 2 Neuville St Vaast.

June 2007--name still on Arras Memorial

He was from Pomeroy--Co. Tyrone.

Wesley Wright

Cross referencing this topic:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...mp;#entry943908

Bright Blessings

Sandra