Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospital wounded list

Desmond7

Hope this is of some use to someone - you’ll find Scots, DLI, Cheshires, KOSBs, Glos. ... you name it.

The Observer published a list of wounded men at ‘The Waveney’ on a regular basis. If there is a ‘market’ for such lists, I’ll do my best to key them in over a period of time. I thought I’d start with this one which is post-Somme.

Last week of July 1916

Soldiers in Waveney Hospital Ballymena

FIFTY wounded men arrived by the 4.30pm train in Ballymena on Monday last and were transferred to the Waveney

Hospital in cars kindly lent by local gentlemen.

These men have all been wounded in the great advance and we feel sure they will be well looked after by the medical

men and the nursing staff during their stay in Ballymena.

List follows

Sgt Albert Yeates, Glos, regt - sick

Pte W. Browning SW Bord. - shrapnel wound in foot

Pte Harry Cuthbertson A&SH - shrapnel wound in left shoulder

Pte Andrew Green, S.A. Scottish home address Boksburg, Transvaal, shrapnel wound in left foot

Pte D. Baines, E. York. Regt - shrapnel wound right arm

Pte C. W. Maker SA contingent belonging to Tranokie, SA - shrapnel wound right arm

Pte John J Stewart RIR belonging to Dublin - sick

Pte James Mitchell, R.Innis. Fus. Banbridge Co. Down - shrapnel wounds head and ribs

Lcpl Alfred Foverague, Northamptonshire regt. - shrapnel in right arm

Lcpl. W. McFarland, Cameron Highlanders, shrpanel wound right wrist

Lcpl. Patrick Duf, RIR belonging to Trim, Co. Meath - shrapnel left knee

Rfn. Thos. McNally, Lurgan - dysentery

Pte John Campbell R. Innis. Fus. Wier Street, Belfast, gastritis

Pte Thos. Pentony, RIR Bessbrook, dysentery

Pte George Albert Smith, West Yorks. shrapnel left arm

Pte H. Hargreave, SA Infantry shrpanel wound left leg

Lcpl. Thos H. Rose KOSB, shrapnel wound in head

Spr. Fred Bedoes, R. Engineers

Sgt Wm Worststinholm, RSF fracture of jaw

Pte Jesse Jones, Sherwood Foresters, gunshot wound in left leg.

Pte Marshall Foster, D.L.I. shrapnel wound in face

Pte T. Tyndall, South Africans, wounded.

Pte R. Livingstone, Cussick Street, Belfast RIR - sick.

Cpl. J.R. Dickson, Bedfordshires - bulet wound in shoulder

Pte Alex Ferguson, Black Watch , shrapnel wound left forearm.

Pte Andrew Mayor, DLI shrapnel wound left ar,

Pte Thos. Bowden, Glos. regt. shrapnel wound thigh

Lcpl. G.J. Adams, S. Africans - gunshot wound right arm

Pte Wm Shannon, Border Regt. - sick

Pte James McCourt, A&SH - bullet wound right ankle

Pte Thomas Smith HLI - shrapnel wound in back and right wrist (then says 1st Bucks?)

Pte A. J. Green SA Scottish, shrapnel wound left leg.

Pte Henry M. Veale, SA Brigade gassed

Pte Wm. Gratey, Warwickshire Regt. - sick

Sapper Alex Dustin RE shrapnel wound ins calp.

Pte Harry Nicholls, Royal West Kents - shrapnel wound in skull

Lcpl. James Brannon KOSB - shrpanel wound left hand

Bugler George Caroer, DLI - gunshot wound right thigh.

Cpl. Robert Godbert, KOSB - shrapnel left hand.

Pte John Murray, South Africans - shell wound left hand

Lcpl Edwin H Couling RWelsh Fus. - bullet wound left hand

Rfn Joseph Carroll RIR belonging to Tipperary - sick

Lcpl. Wm Gilmour, Cheshire Regt, bulet wound over chest

Pte Vincent Norris, Cheshire Regt bulet wound in left thigh.

Pte T. M. McRinnindge Scottish Rifles, severe scalp wound

Pte James Cragg SA Infantry - shrpanel wound right foot.

Gunner Arthur Griffiths RFA shrapnel wound left hand

Pte Thos Clark Scottish Rifles shrapnel wound left arm

Pte Horace Pratt, Leic. Regt. shrapnel wound in right buttock.

Brian - I am keying in these lists from back issues of the Observer 1914-18. I will try to key in one list per day ... hopefully your guy may be amongst them. Unfortunately, they are not in any alphabetical order. I just copy them in the way they first appeared. I'm afraid you'll just have to keep an eye on the forum!

That's 52 odd lists per year over the period 1915-18 ... but what the heck, some of the names may help.

Desmond 7.

PLEASE keep it up,i to am looking for an injured relative (from The Royal Berkshire Regiment) who was shipped back to the UK and eventually invalided out.i don't know the year though.will be interesting to see if he appears on any of the lists ??.

Do you need any help ??.

Steven :)

Hi

I am desperately looking for Robert Tucker, I believe he was wounded before September 1916. He lost a leg. I have found Robert to be called John and Harry. However I believe he would have been using the name Robert during WW1. I dont know his regiment, his family were living in Larch Road Balham, SW12 at the time of the war. Grateful for any kind of help, I am having real trouble finding anything at all concrete on him.

Thanks

Christina

This is great! However, you are going to go insane!! Might I humbly suggest a team effort to help you along? Something similar is happening with a POW list amongst the Pals.

Many thanks - let me organise my thoughts - I could photocopy various lists, date them and fax them to members.

I'm in work now and Wednesday will be my next 'good day' for ref-library visits.

There I can print out from the micro-fiche but it's not always possible to get a good 'white copy' suitable for faxing. I don't want to hump the big 'original files' up and down to the photo-copier for obvious reasons - both physical and conservational. I'm happy enough to key in these lists at lunchtime or the evening.

I was pretty astounded to see so many soldiers from a variety of regts. and corps. being treated in Ballymena.

Perhaps someone could keep a record of these and start putting them into some form of alphabetical order and then we would have a much more 'easy to access' resource.

I intend to do a 'coverall' piece on the role of the Waveney during the war for my own supplement so by the time I've worked through these lists I'll have a pretty good picture of things.

Thanks for your replies. At least I know that the lists are worthwhile and it would be great to know if anybody scores a success from them.

See above list - for some reason the name Fred Bedoes of the Royal Engineers rings a bell with me. Anyone else feel they've read something about him somewhere?

1st list October 8 1915

Pte Dennis Hardy, Irish G. shrap. wound hip

Cpl. James Donaldson, RE gas poisoning

Pte James Griffen 4th Black watch gas poisoning

Pte Samuel Bigggar 6th KOS Borderers explosive bullet wound elbow

Pte William Wilson 6th Gordons bullet wound right leg

Pte A. McGlashan 1st SG's bullet wound on right hand. He has been wounded three times since October 1914 when he went to front.

Pte Angus McDonald 7th Cameron Highlanders, gun-shot wound on right arm

Cpl. James Thorburn 7th Cameron Highlanders, bullet wound on head

Pte J. Layden 2nd Irish G. bullet left breast

Pte Alan Russell 9th HLI

Gnr. George Moore RGA bullet wound on left thumb

Pte T Stewart 12th Royal Scots, bullet wound left forearm

Pte William Hill, 13th Riyal Scots, bullet left ankle

Pte George Wallace A & SH shrap.wound scalp

Pte Charles Fee 2 Scots Guards shell wound right shoulder

Sgt William Black 12th Royal Scots, gun shot wound on nostrils

Pte F. ferguson 6th R scots Fus. rheumatism

Lcpl. S. Wilson 8th Gordon High. bullet wound on shoulder

Lcpl. Smith 11th Royal Scots bullet wound on left wrist

Pte John SCott, 4th Black watch bullet wound on hand

Pte Alex Blakely 11th Royal Scots shattered finger on left hand

Pte William Paxton 1st Black watch bullet wound on back of thigh

Lcpl. Francis Marshall 11th Royal Scots, bullet wound on right upper arm.

Thanks, you've given me a lead, as I have a George A Smith who supposedly fought in WW1, and in your list there was an injured george albert smith, so I suppose its worth looking into despite the common name.

:D

Thanks

George

Hi Desmond

I can list your wounded in "excel" format, this will enable them to be put in alphabetical order once they are all listed. If listed in "word" I dont think there is a facility to make them alphabetical after entry.

I can send you a CD on completion [or when one is full up, I dont know how many names you have]

Regards

Christina

Hi Desmond

I can list your wounded in "excel" format, this will enable them to be put in alphabetical order once they are all listed. If listed in "word" I dont think there is a facility to make them alphabetical after entry.

I can send you a CD on completion [or when one is full up, I dont know how many names you have]

Regards

Christina

Christina,

If you enter the data into a table in word you will find the table>sort option allows sorting by alphabetical (and other) order.

I hope this doesn't derail the particulars of this thread but does anyone know if similar lists exist for CCS and Base Hospitals? Were records kept and if so are they available and accessible? I am particularly interested in the Base Hospital at Boulogne where my Great Uncle is buried after wounds received in the attack by 1st Northamptons on the Switch trench at High Wood in Aug 1916.

Thanks

Philip

Thanks for your replies - I have since put on a third list.

However, I have already posted several people off forum to explain that while there are lists every week - they are not always of wounded soldiers. I stupidly forgot that these guys need time to get better!

Therefore, the task will not be as onerous as some of you might have thought. I reckon I'll have the three further lists for 1916 on by end of week.

Then it's into 1917 and we'll see how they go from there.

Big drafts of casualties seem to come in conjunction with major actions and I am guessing that some of the men arriving in the Waveney have been 'shipped on' from hospitals in mainland Britain. Therefore I imagine they are in the recovery stage because the only deaths I have come across relate to 'fever'. There are graves in the nearby cemetery and I'll photograph them and post when I get time. The RBL lay wreaths on them every year.

If anybody wishes to go ahead and knock up a data base for the forum you have my appreciation and my envy of your processing skills. I'm a typist and make-up man ... all those mathematical boxes terrify me!

If by the end of the war we do have a data base of some - for example - 5-800 names and regts. , I will post pictures of hospital as it is now, and architects drawings of how it looked in 1915. There is also background detail of gifts presented by local people, tea parties, sports outings etc. and when I finish all the names I'll put a smidgin of these over to complete the picture.

I hope these prove of some use to members. As they are mainly non-Irish regts. I can't afford to get too interested in them myself at this stage - as you all know each of us have our own obsessive little projects to work on.

I just wanted to provide these names as a thanks to all who have helped me out on the forum.

Next list going on Thursday A.M.