Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WILFRED RANGELEY PLACE OF BIRTH QUERY

ralphjd

Need help please, Wilfred Rangeley has several medical pages on Ancestry, one of the pages following these has his birthplace as Glossop, Derbyshire 1891, FreeBMD only lists one person of this name born Hayfield 1893, and Ancestry has one born about 1894 in Milnrow. If he was born Milnrow he becomes one of "my" men, if he was not born Milnrow he becomes one of my mates "men". The question I pose is do I believe the place of birth on his papers ie Glossop (I think so) or the Ancestry entry of Milnrow. He is commemorated on St Peters Church Newbold Rochdale, not part of the Milnrow Parish. Any comments/advice most welcome. Regards Ralph.

Ralph,

Theres a Wilfrid (note I) Rangeley registered in Dewsbury 3rd qtr 1893 - 9B - 660

Any good ?

Grant

Grant, May be, just had the christian name spelling checked and it is with an "i" on the memorial. Cheers Ralph.

Not him, sadly died as a baby less than six months old 4th qtr Dewsbury. Ralph.

Hi you can get his death certificate from GRO for £7 (I think)

His death registration no is Rochdale 8e 41 3rd 1/4 1922

Mel

Ralph.

First assumption - accept what is written down (Not always true, but a good first step).

His papers say that he was born in the parish of Glossop. He was examined on 24th May 1916, and his declared age was 22 years. We can deduce that he was born sometime between 25th May 1893 and 24th May 1894.

There is a birth of a Wilfrid Rangeley registered in the Hayfield Registration District in the September quarter 1893.

The parish of Glossop is (was) partly in the Hayfield District and partly in the Chapel-en-le Frith District. (Interestingly, the town of Hayfield is (was) actually in Glossop parish!)

All the above are consistent with one another.

I see that he died on 9th August 1922, aged 28, and that the death was registered in the Rochdale District. Several of the entries on his medical record mention Rochdale, although the last two are, I think, Bury, but it seems possible that he died in Rochdale, perhaps in hospital, and hence he's on the memorial there. The death certificate would confirm place of death.

Likewise the birth certificate would confirm place of birth, parents etc.

I think that the above identifies your man.

There are many reasons why people do not appear in census records. Too many to list here!

Noel