Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

#3, 16, 47 RAMC General Hospitals in France

jldron

:rolleyes:

Hello, I just joined this group. I am Frenchman, sorry for my poor english !

It was a very important Anglo Canadian camp at Le Treport (France) during the WWI. Three RAMC General Hospitals, two Canadian General Hospital, one American unit.

I am trying to gather information on the :

- #3 RAMC (November 1914 - March 1919),

- #16 RAMC (January 1915 – February 1919),

- #47 RAMC (April 1917 – March 1919),

- #10 British Red Cross (Voluntary Hospital or Lady Murray’s Hospital) (June 1916 – December 1918)

I would like to find out about history of these General Hospitals or address archives centres in GB.

I accept exchange for French Army Historical Service at Vincennes near Paris.

Thanks

Regards

Jean-Luc DRON

post-2-1076871445.jpg

• Admin

Jean Luc

You could try the RAMC museum,

postal address

Keough Barracks, Ash Vale, Aldershot, Hampshire. GU12 5RQ

Tel (0044) 1252 340212

email

museum@keough72.freeserve.co.uk

Bonne Chance!

Michelle

Jean-Luc

Welcome to the Forum.

I have just put 'Le Treport' through the site's Search facility, and about 20 threads came up, amongst them were two that contain information about No. 16

http://www.1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?s...9&hl=le+treport

and

http://www.1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?s...5&hl=le+treport

These should also be of interest:

http://www.1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?s...4&hl=le+treport

http://www.1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?s...2&hl=le+treport

Also, many thanks for your help with Marcel Charlat on another thread. Your own website is a mine of information on the French Army - congratulations!

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jean-luc.dron/

Hello Jean-Luc,

my grandfather was there as a war patient in October 1917 and here is a plan of the hospital if you dont have one. I can send it privately in a larger format if you want. I do have some information about how long he was there and the names of the doctors who operated on him

Peter

It was a very important Anglo Canadian camp at Le Treport (France) during the WWI. Three RAMC General Hospitals, two Canadian General Hospital, one American unit.

#2 Canadian General Hospital was located at Le Treport during much of the war. I am not sure of the other Canadian hospital you mention.

If you have not already done so, you can find the War Diaries ( including some interesting appendices) at this address:

http://www.archives.ca/02/02015202_f.html

Canadian Hospitals serving at Le Tréport:

No. 2 General Hospital

Organized Valcartier, September 1914; Salsisbury Plain, October 18, 1914 to March 13, 1915; Le Tréport, March 16, 1915 to March 2, 1919.

Officers Commanding: Colonels—J. W. Bridges, K. Cameron, G. S. Rennie.

Matrons: E. C. Rayside, H. E. Dulmage, M. M. Goodeve, F. Wilson.

No. 7 General Hospital (Queen's University)

Originally No. 5 Stationary Hospital; Cairo, January 26, 1916 to April 10, 1916; Le Tréport, April 22, 1916 to October 13, 1916; Etaples, October 14, 1916 to May 31, 1919.

Officer Commanding: Colonel F. Etherington.

Matrons: B. J. Willoughby, G. Muldrew.

No. 2 Stationary Hospital

Organized Valcartier, September 6, 1914; Le Tréport, November 27, 1914 to October 20, 1915; Outreau, October 21, 1915 to April 1, 1919.

Officers Commanding: Lieut.-Colonels—A. T. Shillington, J. T. Clarke, G. D. Farmer, D. Donald, G. Clingan, J. Hayes.

Matrons: E. B. Ridley, A. C. Strong, J. Urquhart, G. Pope, S. C. McIssac.

Garth

The Canadian Archives are fantastic.

As No 2 Canadian General Hospital was opposite No 16 General Hospital across the Operation Block at Le Treport, I thought a look at the War Diaries might be worth a look. I picked the dates 1st Oct to 31st Oct 1917 (My grandfather was there 10th Oct to 15th Nov 1917) and while he doesn't get a mention :P , the No 16 General Hospital does as well as the weather each day. Thanks to John and Kate for the tip.

Peter ;)

The photo that Jean-Luc posted is taken from in front of the Trianon Hotel, looking towards the Royal Engineers yard and workshop which is the building at the roundabout. The viewer is looking in a south westerly direction.

The Trianon Hotel was the home of the No3 British General Hospital.

Thanks Jean-Luc

Peter ;)

Bonjour Jean-Luc,

Could I ask something in return.

Do you know where I could find records of French military hospitals !?

The one I am interested in is Modane, Savoie. British soldiers injured in a train crash in March 1918 died there - would there be any records ?

merci bien

JulianB

Hello JulianB,

First I can post a question on a French Forum about this crash.

And then I can give you the adress of Medical Corps RA museum

(Musée des Service de Santé - Hôpital du Val de Grâce - Paris).

Regards

Jean-Luc

Hello Peter,

The Trianon Hotel (this photo) was the home of the No3 British General Hospital.

Jean-Luc

post-2-1077132832.jpg

Many thanks to Michelle, Kate, Peter, Jhill and Garth.

My mails last days are not corectly send (I am beginner).

You have got me good adresses to continue my research.

I put back down my dictionary Fench-English and I post a new photo for Peter.

CASUALTIES OUTSIDE LE TREPORT HOSPITAL 16

post-2-1077133984.jpg

Jean-Luc,

the crash I am interested in was on 4th March 1918, and happened at St Michel de Maurienne (near a terrible crash that killed many French soldiers in December 1917). there was a burial at St Michel attended by a regiment/company of Zouaves (which ?), the Maire (who ?) and the prefect (who ?).

thank you

Julian

Hello Peter,

I have reconstructed a panoramic view of the camp from three postcards (Arnault 510,511,512). This view shooting from the top of the water tower !

Regards

Jean-Luc

France

post-2-1077275919.jpg

Jean-Luc,

Well Done!

In the centre of the panoramic view is the Operation Block and No 16 General Hospital is just behind it. Is there any way to date these photos as I think they were taken early in the war as there are many tents and the map shows building outlines, not tent outlines?

The map I have is A4 size but I will scan it at a much higher resolution and send it to your email address.

The surgeons who operated on my grandfather were Dr Gerhard and Dr Dillard. I have a copy of a letter that Dr Gerhard sent to my grandmother explaing how serious were my grandfathers injuries (he was by shelling between 5 and 7 am on the morning of 1st October 1917 at the Butte, Polygon Wood). At that time No 16 General Hospital was under the control of the Americans and was staffed by personnel from Philadelphia hence the name No 16 (Philadelphia) General Hospital. I think my grandfather arrived on the 10th October 1917 via rail convoy 360 which had very bad surgical cases with 240 in cots and 120 as walking.

Merci

Peter ;)

Hello Peter,

I have not information about to date of these photos.

I am agree with you, there were early many tents and later building outline towards. See the attached photo. It is nearly the same view. On the back ground of the two photos we can see the water tower. These photos are taken from the Trianon Hotel.

No 16 General Hospital was under the control of the Base Hospital No 10, USA. I have the book written by Paul B. HOEBER "History of the Pennsylvania Unit (Base Hospital No 10, USA) in the Great War.

Professional Staff :

Lieutenants

.../... Arthur H. GERHARD, Medical Reserve Corps, U.S. Army

Henry K. DILLARD, Jr, Medical Reserve Corps, U.S. Army

.../...

HENRY DILLARD.

Ordered into Service, May 5, 1917. First Lieutenant. Captain, April 16, 1918. Major, October 16, 1918. Surgical and Medical work with Base Hospital No. 10. Medical Officer at Tank Base at Mers two weeks. March 21, 1918, sent to No. 32 C.C.S. at Marchelot, later attached to Stationary Hospital 41 at Cerisy. Wounded in Amiens, March 26, 1918. Evacuated to England April 4. Patient in Prince of Wales Hospital, London, until June 5, 1918. Appointed Commanding Officer to American Red Cross Convalescent Hospital 101 at Lengfield, Surrey. in charge of Hospital 101 from that date to September 1, 1918. Returned to France September 6, 1918. 1st Division, B. E. F., attached to No. 2 Field Ambulance and took part in engagements until armistice. October 31, 1918, sent to 6th Battalion Welsh Regiment and later appointed Medical Officer in charge 6th Welsh Regiment. Accompanied them on march to Germany, November 14, to December 23. With Army of Occupation in area of 1st Division, B. E. F., from December 23, 1918, to April 4, 1919. Ordered back to A. E. F. on that date. Reported to Savenay April 8, 1919, and sailed for U. S. A. May 3, 1919.

Discharged at Camp Dix, May 13, 1919.

ARTHUR HOWELL GERHARD.

Ordered into Service, May 5, 1917. First Lieutenant. Medical work with Base Hospital No. 10. Medical and Sanitation work elsewhere. December, 1917, to March, 1918, attached as Medical Officer Tank Corps, B. E. F.

Discharged at Camp Dix, April 23, 1919. Twenty-three months in service.

Regards

Jean-Luc DRON

France

post-2-1077370796.jpg