Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt B F Bainsmith, PPCLI

Jock Bruce

I recently acquired (free :D ) this officer's Manual of Military Law, marked 'B F Bainsmith, PPCLI & RFC'.

When I was looking a some other entries in the online MIC index today I typed him in and got

Medal card of Bainsmith, B F

Palestine Police Canadian Light Infantry Captain

18th Battalion Corps of Lancers Regiment Captain

The second unit didn't sound right - as opposed to the first one which is just plain wrong. So I actually spent £3 to have a look. The result is below - any suggestion as to what the unit was ? Was there actually a Corps of Lancers Regiment containing 16 Bns ?

Jock

post-1-1076867521.jpg

Hang on, off to do a search of the 1936 & 1945-48 narratives to find traces of this previously unrecorded security force in the Middle East... Duh.....

(Goes without saying that it's 'PRINCESS PATRICIA'S' )

Shakes head more in sorrow than anger....

Sue,

many thanks - I've been looking for him in the Gazette and he ends up on TF Reserve, which would fit with him being Londons.

Oh well - another e-mail to Kew.

In all fairness, I must say the procedure whereby you pay your £3 is very, very slick <_<

Jock

I agree about the slickness of the procedure - however don't do what I did last night and pay for the same card twice.

Just as it 'slickly' charged me £6 it occurred to me that the two EJ Browns might be neighbours.

DOH!

At least they weren't listed as King Roger's Recruitment Company or somesuch...