Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Casualty possible listing error

stiletto_33853

One for Terry.

In Messines Ridge British Cemetery the CWGC list an A. Atkins, 9th Rifle Brigade, S/26207, 20/9/17 in Plot VI.B.18.

SDGW list him as Henry Atkins of the 8th RB, GRO have him as Henry Atkins with the correct number (1917 Vol I.80, Page 98), the Rifle Brigade Medal Rolls list him as 8th RB and Henry Atkins, the M.I.C. shows Henry and the 8th RB casualty lists for September 1917 have him as H. Atkins and as having died with the 8th.

Is there anymore material I need for the CWGC to possibly correct the details on this man and if the headstone reads A. get it corrected to H.

Andy

Andy

He is listed as 'A' in the original registers and so you will have to muster all the official documents you can.

SDGW and GRO Index are no good as they are riddled with typos etc. However, they add back-up if other documents agree.

If you send me scans of the other documents, I'll have a go for you.

Thanks Terry,

I will send the medal rolls, 8th RB war diary over to you.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Terry,Good news, in that I see the CWGC have changed his initials to H. with the correct Henry as his given name, so commemorated as he should be, but, still showing the 9th RB instead of the 8th Rifle Brigade. Are the medal Rolls, which show no service in the 9th, and the battalion casualty returns listing him as 8th RB not sufficient for the CWGC in this case??

Andy