Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ancestry look up please

brett361975

I would be very grateful if anyone could look up on the Ancestory web site the following man for me,

J.81878 D Roberts who's rank is given as ORD in the Royal Navy.

I have been told he was born in 1899 first name David from Bootle Lancashire.

Apart from this i have no other information.

Any help gratefully received.

Regards

Brett

ok not share if im doing this right but here gos there is more than one d roberts so will post all

Name:David RobertsonService Branch:Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve Unit:Hawke Bn. Rank:Petty Officer Death Date:5 Jun 1915Cause of Death:Killed in action Burial:Helles Memorial (MR 4) Service History:Enlisted RNVR 19/4/1905, re-enlisted 3/8/14 ; Hawke Bn. 'C' Company 3/5/15-5/6/15 DD. Service Number:London 2/3205 Notes:Born May 22nd 1883, the husband of Gertrude Robertson, c/o Mrs. Turner, 16 Coilhurst Road, Crouch End, London N. (later of 161 Fearne Park Road, Crouch End, & 97 Edenbridge Road, Bush Hill Park, Enfield, Middlesex). In civil life he was employed as a Clerk and lived at 17 Arnold Gardens, Palmers Green, London N. ; Douglas Jerrold's book "The Hawke Bn." page 64, quotes him as Petty Officer Robinson, Platoon Sergeant 'C' Company 10th Platoon & the first man of the Hawke Bn. to be killed in the line, shot through the head by a sniper. ; In his autobiography 'Georgian Adventure', Douglas Jerrold wrote (pages 141-2):- "One curious incident relative to premonitions: on my first day at the Crystal Palace as orderly officer I had a London RNVR Petty officer as my orderly sergeant, and had, in the course of my duties, to make the rounds of the Crystal Palace grounds at night time. Naturally, we talked. He was a pre-war volunteer; a clerk, I fancy, in an insurance office, very well educated. I asked him why he didn’t apply for a commission, and he said, very quietly, after an embarrassed silence, that it wasn’t worth while. Then he was silent for quite a long time, so I asked him, more to make conversation than anything else, what he was going to do after the war. Then he said, rather apologetically, that he was going to be killed the first time he went into action, so that the question did not arise. He was perfectly happy about it. He just knew. When we took over Nelson Avenue on June 5th, I had to go back, being then second-in-command of the company, to see about our rations. When I got back about three hours later I found that this same Petty Officer, who was one of our platoon sergeants, had been killed four minutes after I had left – our first casualty, by a stray bullet through the head, unaimed, unintended, a dropping shot of the kind hardly ever fatal, a chance in a million, and foreseen with absolute clarity eight months before."

Name: David Robertson

Service Branch: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

Unit: Anson Bn.

Death Date: 26 Oct 1917

Cause of Death: Killed in action

Burial: Tyne Cot Memorial (MR 30)

Service History: Enlisted 3/12/14 ; Benbow Bn. B/246 26/3/15, transferred to Anson Bn. 12/6/15-29/8/16 SW left thigh & right buttock, rejoined Anson Bn. 25/11/16-26/10/17 DD.

Service Number: Clyde Z/2415

Notes: CWGC = Leading Seaman ; Rated Acting Leading Seaman 1/1/17, Leading Seaman Higher Grade 30/6/17 ; An Electrician ; b.23/6/1893 ; Next-of-Kin & home address: Father, David, 73 Ferry St., Montrose.

Name: David Brown Robertson

Service Branch: Royal Marine Light Infantry

Unit: 2nd Royal Marine Bn.

Death Date: 26 Oct 1917

Cause of Death: Killed in action

Burial: Tyne Cot Memorial (MR 30)

Service History: ex-PLY/685/S RMLI, transferred to Portsmouth Division RMLI 10/12/14 ; RM Brigade 10/12/14-6/2/17 ; Portsmouth Bn./2nd RM Bn. MEF/BEF 28/2/15-14/11/16 Grenade wound legs, Invalided to UK 26/11/16 ; Draft for BEF 11/9/17, joined 2nd RM Bn. 24/9/17-26/10/17 DD.

Service Number: PO/754/S

Notes: b.Glasgow 27/8/1895 ; Uncle, William Muir Robertson, 6 Langside Rd., Bothwell, Scotland ; Mother, Mary, Hillett, Long Island, New York, USA.

Mojo,

The list your looking at is for those who died, chance's are this chap didn't die and lived to tell the tale.

But well done for getting stuck in and looking - thats what makes this forum work so well

Grant

thank you for all the look up's on Ancestry. I think this man survived as i can't find him on the CWGC, will the download give me his full service records?. This is the first time i have attempted any reasearch on a Royal Navy Man so any guidence would be appreciated.

Mojo, thank you for the time and effort you spent on my quest.

Regards

Brett

Brett,

You get his Service Register, which is a complete record of his service with regards to ships, dates, rating/rank, conduct and much more its worth £3.50.

Regards Charles