Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Have I got the right man?

erika

Hi All

I have just found a death on Scotlands people recorded under Service and War Reurns, Minor Records, ( GROS Data 129/AF 0081 )

When I viewed it, it was a listed as:

Return of Warrant Officers, NCO's and Men of the 2nd Battalion Scottish Rifles killed in action or who have died whilst on service abroad.

The name I was interested in was

Peter Campbell. According to the return he died on 24.10.1918 in France. I couldn't read his service number but it looked as if it ended 33.

I have looked on the CWGC and can't find a listing for him.

I'm not even sure if he is my relative or not at the moment, but just wondered if anyone has any ideas?

Many thanks

Erika

I stumbled across this one too in the In From The Cold Project a while ago.

This is your man:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=591259

Name: CAMPBELL

Initials: A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 24/10/1918

Service No: 41733

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. C. 15.

Cemetery: ST. POL BRITISH CEMETERY, ST. POL-SUR-TERNOISE

The GRO Army Deaths Other Ranks also list his first name as Peter, and so does his MIC. I believe it's a scanning error by CWGC (P misread as A). I flagged it up and if it really is an error, then no doubt Terry Denham will have the error corrected when the time comes.

Adrian

EDIT: Just to add, SDGW also says Peter, and gives his birthplace and place of enlistment as Govan, Glasgow. It also mentions he was formerly 36872 in the HLI.

Hi Adrian

Many thanks for your quick reply and how fortunate you had come across this record.

I am quite new to researching military records so excuse my ignorance but what does SDGW stand for?

My Peter was born in Coatbridge which is on the outskirts of Glasgow, so I'm still not sure whether this is the right man. Do I have to go to TNA to find his military records?

Thank you for your help.

Erika