Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which regiment?

Salfordian

Can anyone guess which regiment this picture is. Its a Pic of my Great Grandfather and he was from Manchester, so could be local to the Greater Manchester area.

Ta

post-25326-1212071421.jpg

Looks like one of the artillery regiments, i'm sure someone here will be able to give the exact one !,

cheers,

John.

Looks like one of the artillery regiments, i'm sure someone here will be able to give the exact one !,

cheers,

John.

John,

Thanks. I have tried to blow up the badge etc, but no luck, but Artillery sounds like a good bet.

Steve

It's definitely Royal Artillery, but you'll have to find some other supporting data, like his service records, or the medal rolls, or old newspaper articles or personal correspondence to determine which Brigade and Battery he belonged to. The Regiment is the Royal Regiment of Artillery (at that time either Royal Field Artillery, Royal Horse Artillery or Royal Garrison Artillery). Within that regiment, he would have been assigned to an Artillery Brigade and within the brigade, to the HQ, a Battery or the Ammunition Column. There were also Divisional Ammunition Columns which were RFA.

I hope this helps.

Mike Morrison

Steve,

Do you have his name & numberor any further information?

Regards

John

I believe he is my Great Grandad..... My Gran died 2 years ago and left that picture which I believe to be her dad. He was called Leonard markland, and was a Manchester (Salford) Lad. Lived in Winton (nr Eccles) born 1887. But sadly that is it. Although I know that he died shortly after 1919 because of complications of being Gassed. I know its a long shot, but any help or snippets would be great !

Steve

Steve

There are 22 MICs for Marklands that served with various branches of the Artillery but no Leonards:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...Spec=score+desc

Is it possible that the photograph is of a grt grt uncle?

There is a Leonard that served with the Cheshire Regiment.

Regards

Mel

Steve

Here is the MIC for the Cheshire Reg Leonard. He was discharged as unfit for further service and granted the SWB so it could fit in:

post-859-1212084285.jpg

Regards

Mel

1901 Census for the family:

Name: Lenord Markland

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1888

Relation: Son

Father's Name: John

Mother's Name: Jane

Where born: Pendleton, Lancashire, England

Civil Parish: Pendleton

Ecclesiastical parish: St Thomas

County/Island: Lancashire

Registration district: Salford

Sub registration district: Pendleton

ED, institution, or vessel: 9

Neighbors: View others on page

Household schedule number: 264

Household Members: Name Age

Cecilia Markland 8

Frank Markland 11

Harold Markland 4

Jane Markland 43

John Markland 48

Lenord Markland 13

Ruth Markland 15

Could Harold be the Harry Markland in the Artillery MICs?

Although I know that he died shortly after 1919 because of complications of being Gassed.

Steve

As such he should be entitled to commemoration by the War Graves Commission and his grave maintained by them as an official war grave. Looking at the CWGC site, he doesnt appear to be.

Do you have his death certificate - or can apply for it? The Forum has arrangements with CWGC to submit cases on behalf of members if you'd wish to go down that route. If you contact Terry Denham with the certificate, he'll be able to advise further about whether the cause of death links sufficiently to his military service.

It will also be necessary to take the research further to identify his military service.

John

Thank you to everyone !!!! You lot are Stars !