Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Field Artillery

Dannemois

I am trying to find out more about the role and duties of the 37th Bde Ammunition Col. R.F.A.

I am doing some research into - Driver, 40015, William Gummer, and was killed on 01/08/1916 and his name is remembered on the Kirkee 1914-1918 Memorial. Can anybody please offer any information on the unit and what it duties would have been?

Regards

Roy

The BAC's supplied ammunition to the batteries in the artillery Brigades - some details listed here

http://www.1914-1918.net/whatartbrig.htm

In 1914 they were constituted mainly of reservists and special reservists - as I suspect Driver Gummer was. Men were also sometimes transferred to the gun batteries as replacements it seems - certainly new officers and recruits were often first posted to the ammunition columns to get field experience before moving on to 'fighting' batteries - although the ammunition colums work was quite dangerous enough, continually bringing ammunition up to the battery positions.

I dont know if you have more details but, from his number I would guess William Gummer was a reservist who had signed up late (December?) 1905, early 1906 for a 3 year term + 9 years in the reserve and was mobilised in Aug 1914 probably at Hilsea and posted to 37th Brigade.

David

The BAC's supplied ammunition to the batteries in the artillery Brigades - some details listed here

http://www.1914-1918.net/whatartbrig.htm

In 1914 they were constituted mainly of reservists and special reservists - as I suspect Driver Gummer was. Men were also sometimes transferred to the gun batteries as replacements it seems - certainly new officers and recruits were often first posted to the ammunition columns to get field experience before moving on to 'fighting' batteries - although the ammunition colums work was quite dangerous enough, continually bringing ammunition up to the battery positions.

I dont know if you have more details but, from his number I would guess William Gummer was a reservist who had signed up late (December?) 1905, early 1906 for a 3 year term + 9 years in the reserve and was mobilised in Aug 1914 probably at Hilsea and posted to 37th Brigade.

David

Hi David

Thanks for the information. The qualifying date on William Gummer's medal card is 23/8/1914, he was awarded the Victory, British and 14 Star medals. There is also a comment in the 'Action Taken' column which states 'Deed' and it would appear he was awarded a Clasp 2/2922, what that means, I have no idea. Are you able to tell me?

Would he have been a horse driver or motorised driver?

Regards

Roy

I am sure that should be 'dead' - usually added when dead by the time the medal cards completed. The artillery 'Soldiers Died' volume has him dead in India 1/8/1916... (now I know where Kirkee is..) ...... indicating he must have been posted away from 37th Brigade and assigned to another unit... also has him as born Brecon and enlisted Cardiff .. no other information

the 'clasp' means he was awarded the proper 'Mons' clasp ti his 1914 star indicating he had been under fire in the first months of the war - as he would have been with 37th Bde who had a fair number of casualties in 1914, 21 at least that I know of

from the National archives website

"His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the issue of a clasp

to officers, warrant officers, non-commissioned officers and men who have been awarded the "1914" Star and who actually served under the fire of the enemy in France and Belgium between the 5th August, 1914, and midnight 22/23rd November, 1914.

Officers and soldiers who were actually present on duty within the range of the enemy's mobile artillery and were on the strength of, or attached to the units and formations set forth in Appendix 'A' between the above mentioned dates, will be eligible for the award."

As a Driver he would be working with horses, as most RFA remained horse drawn.

david

• 2 years later...

Hi im new to this site and im trying to help my mum trace her grandfather, George Johnson. We know very little so far but we know he was in Kirkee during the early 1920's with his wife Gertrude Johnson and daughter Edna Johnson, they lived in the married quarters. While they were in Kirkee they also had a son Leslie Johnson born 18.5.1924 in Poona. I am struggling to find any record of them in India. We do not have any records but we do know he was in the 72nd Battery, R.F.A, Service number 1032519. We also know the family was in Fermoy, Ireland (where Gertrude and George were married) but we cannot find any records here either. If anyone can help point me in the right direction or have any information we would be massivley grateful.

Thankyou Freya