Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unit Query

paulw743

After the death of my wife's grandmother, a number of pictures came into my mother-in-laws possession.

One of them contains a man in uniform, which my mother-in-law believes was her uncle. Unfortunately she can't remember too much detail about his service other than saying that he was a policeman in the city of London.

We've tried a number of books and magazines in an attempt to locate the regiment badge on the cap, but the closest we can get is that he is a member of on of theFusilier regiments, but can't make anymore head way.

Is anyone able to assist with the identification.

Thanks,

Paulw743

post-26759-1212064013.jpg

Shape of it, I'd say Royal Fusiliers.

Shape of it, I'd say Royal Fusiliers.

Possibly 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th Battalion of the London Regiment, Territorials raised in the City of London and affiliated to the Royal Fusiliers.

Have you tried looking for his medal index card on the National Archives website, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk?

Ron

Thanks for the advice that has been given.

We have looked for his medal card at The National Archives, but at the moment we haven't been able to find any record of him.

• 1 month later...

Not anothe KETCHER by any chance? There are a few who served with the Royal Fusiliers.

1914-1920 WO 372/11

Medal card of Ketcher, Henry

Corps: Royal Fusiliers

Regiment No: J/4214

1914-1920 WO 372/11

Medal card of Ketcher, Albert R

Regiment No: SPR/1320 (incomplete)

1914-1920 WO 372/11

Medal card of Ketcher, Albert K

Regiment No: Sth/1320

1914-1920 WO 372/11

Rgds

Tim

Although I cant be certain as the badge disintergrates when blowing it up, it could possibly be that of the 'Grenadier Guards', and what leads me to this is the fact that you mention he also a Policeman in the City of London. Due to their height quite a few ex-Guardsmen took up careers in the Police and those who were on the Reserve were later recalled to active service, but not all of them served overseas and so he may not have an MIC

However only a look at his Service Records would confirm or deny, whether this was true, but you may be in luck as I believe that Service Records for the Guards do still exist, but I can't remember their location, but Ancestry.com may be worth a try too.