Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Recommendations on where to stay near Arras

Jonathan Saunders

Im thinking of spending a week at Arras in May to visit the battlefields around the Somme, Vimy and Ypres regions and possibly a trip down to Cambrai.

Can anyone suggest a clean and reasonably proced hotel - preferably with or close to a bar - that also has a car-park.

Many thanks.

There is a cheap Formule 1 hotel on the outskirts of Arras, and close to the village of Tilloy-les-Moiflaines where there are a couple of local bars. It's also a good place to do some walking from with the 12th (Eastern) and 3rd Divisional sectors around it.

In Arras itself there are several hotels close to the railway station, but parking can be a problem. The Mercure has its own parking area at the back, but is of course more expensive than the others.

The only B&Bs I know of are at Fampoux and Bullecourt; both are French run.

If you are in Arras then it's got to be in the Grand Place or the Place des Heros. Maybe the Ibis or Les Trois Luppars. Parking not really a problem with lots of space in Boulevard Faidherbe (it's the middle of a dual-carriageway but perfectly safe), only short walk to these hotels, and plenty more around. Visit Arras Tourist Board site (check with Google maybe).

Appreciate both yr answers - I had looked on the net first but didnt check out a site for Arras Tourist Board so will do that next.

Regards.

I have stayed at the Campanile in Arras twice, there are four I believe. The one we stayed at was Campanile-ARRAS NORD ST NICOLAS. It is a good, clean place to stay. We were in the field so ling we did not spend much time at the hotel. The price is between 49 and 59 Euros. I believe it has all you would need including ample parking on the premises.

It is not a luxury place but quite good.

Ralph

Thanks to all - Formule 1 looks favourite at the moment - clean and simple and virtually on the A1. Just trying to sort out ferry and whether worth taking own car or hiring a left stick.

Very nice bistro restaurant on the larger square. Have eaten there on several occasions and always good. Very good fixed price local menu. I think it's called the Grands Arcades (something like that). It's on the shorter side on the square, at the end nearer the smaller of the two squares. I'm always confused about which square is which, but I'm sure you get my drift.

I agree that staying in central Arras is a good option. It really is a busy, sociable place with a good range of restaurants and the hotels are all good value. The last time I was there , I found (by acoustic methods ) that a large group of Welsh battlefield tourists had taken over a bar and we all had a very jolly evening !

Lots to see and the Arras Mem. to the Missing is easily walkable from the centre.

Stayed at the Trois Luppars in November. It is the oldest building on the Grand place. It is not therefore a building of regular rooms!! But they are clean, comfortable, of reasonable size, good buffet breakfast, plenty of restaurants in the two squares. I would recommend a visit to the Citadelle, not a Great War site, but where the resistance workers were shot in WW2 - a very moving experience.

Mercure is a good modern hotel very near the two fine squares, good parking. It is indeed possible to get a bad meal in today's France but it may not be possible in Central Arras. Be sure to visit the tunnels beneath the town hall, WWI use.