The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rosyth Ferry to Zeebrugge

Malcolm

The Superfast ferry from Rosyth to Zeebrugge is being closed due to

a. not enough freight

b, fuel costs

It was a superb service while it lasted. Scots wanting to visit the Western Front will have to go back to driving the b awful M6!

Aye

Malcolm

A shame to see it go but I tried it once and was under-impressed. It is a smaller ship than the P&O ferries with less space to move around. It also arrived at Zeebrugge later than the P&O ferry and therefore spoiled my usual breakfast in Brugge. It was also more expensive. On the other hand, the sail under the Forth bridges and along the Berwickshire coast was very enjoyable.

I reverted to driving down to Hull and never touched the M6 - can't say I enjoy the A1 though.

The ferries I have been on were much newer and cleaner than the Hull ones, and it is much handier from Edinburgh.

Head the Ball,

Well its back to Dirty old Hull now, Rosyth must have been spending too much on cleaning rather than making a profit......

Regards Charles

I use Hull all the time...half an hour to the ferry from my front door...Ok the ferries on the Zeebrugge route may not be the best (they are getting on a bit)

but come October through to March "The price is right". and overnight travelling.....more time to spend on the Western front.

You could think about using the Manchester -Albert, Flights when they start and hire a car at the other end. Still down the M6, but not as far as Dover.

regards

Tom (Falkirk refugee)

I have used the Rosyth - Zeebrugge ferry four times. It represented holidays and freedom to me. I got a lift just seeing it in port when I was out walking the dog. Yes that's how close to it I live. Now it's back to the bloody M6! OK it was expensive, but what a lovely experience to come home from a continental holiday, drive off the ferry and be in the house in under five minutes. Apparently there are talks going on to bring in another ferry operator, but I am not holding my breath.

Len

Yep Scots get humped in the travel world once again

Dan

Guest KevinEndon

Dan, we are all getting screwed at present, the only ones nowadays who can get a cheap trip to the Battlefields are those who live in Dover or Ashford.

Have you chaps north of the border thought of lobbying your new parliament to subsidize the ferry, that may enable it to carry on running.

Regards Charles

This chap, north of the border, doesn't drive and has no intention of ever using it. If one red cent of my taxes goes on that ferry, the fiery cross goes out.

Better still...... get the English to susidise it, they take Scotlands oil revenue.....

Better still...... get the English to susidise it, they take Scotlands oil revenue.....

Sounds like a plan

Dan

Have you chaps north of the border thought of lobbying your new parliament to subsidize the ferry, that may enable it to carry on running.

Regards Charles

Charles,

That would be against EU rules as the Calmac Ferries to the Western Isles have found out. Under EU rules the routes are up for grabs but the ones that are essential to the islanders but don't get tourists will be ignored by most operators as there is no profit in them.

Aye

Malcolm

Malcolm,

Worth a thought, I lived in Rosyth for 12 years and watched the dockyard die a slow death, sad, hope something comes up if its not the ferry then something else to generate buisness.

Regards Charles