Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

White Cross

johnsammc

Hi all,

im visiting Cabin Hill Cemetery in 2 weeks and was wondering where in Ieper i can purchase a cross with poppy as ive been informed i cant lay the one i made at a grave.also how big are these as i have a name crest id like to attach.

Thanks

Hiya,

unless your cross is a huge monstrosity,you can lay it there.

I cant believe someone told you you couldn't,unless the rules are different in Belgium.

Dave.

Hiya,

unless your cross is a huge monstrosity,you can lay it there.

I cant believe someone told you you couldn't,unless the rules are different in Belgium.

Dave.

was told by the CWGC that i couldnt put it at the grave as they dont want individual graves to be singled out.its only 8in high with family crest,poppy and brass inscription

I visited cabin hill at easter,in the rain and snow,a most thought provoking place,poor aussies miles from home miles from anywhere,wish them well from me,we left a cross in thanks

biff

To be honest I find the CWGC’s objections rather strange.

What is the difference between your 8 inch cross and the personal mementos left on graves over the years, some of which still remain to this day?

To my mind it is a little unreasonable to discriminate between plaques etc left by families in the 1920/30’s, and similar items placed today.

I visited cabin hill at easter,in the rain and snow,a most thought provoking place,poor aussies miles from home miles from anywhere,wish them well from me,we left a cross in thanks

biff

im actually visiting the grave of a namesake John Mccann who died 13th June 1917.as this is my birthday im going on that date to pay my respects to him and everyone else.as im not driving Biffo im going by taxi.would it be easy to get back to Ypres.tight schedule.of course i will wish the Aussies well for you.

John Mccann

im actually visiting the grave of a namesake John Mccann who died 13th June 1917.as this is my birthday im going on that date to pay my respects to him and everyone else.as im not driving Biffo im going by taxi.would it be easy to get back to Ypres.tight schedule.of course i will wish the Aussies well for you.

John Mccann

Hi john as you are going by taxi it isnt far from ieper BUT it is abit out of the way,im sure your driver as long as he speaks english will sort you out,have you been to gwc to get directions for cabin hill so you can give to the driver,as I have said it is of the beaten track but a properish road runs along side all you have to do is walk down a mown grass track.

have a good trip and dont forget to take your cross,im sure the occupants will be pleased

biffo

John Mccann

Hi john as you are going by taxi it isnt far from ieper BUT it is abit out of the way,im sure your driver as long as he speaks english will sort you out,have you been to gwc to get directions for cabin hill so you can give to the driver,as I have said it is of the beaten track but a properish road runs along side all you have to do is walk down a mown grass track.

have a good trip and dont forget to take your cross,im sure the occupants will be pleased

biffo

Biffo,was just wondering if i would have to pre book a taxi to get me back to Ieper as i want to spend a while with the lads.have directions.was just a bit worried of being stranded in a remotish place as i dont have long to spend in Ieper unfortunately.will be going back when i have more time.just wanted to be at Cabin Hill on the 13th.thanks for your help Biffo

John

ERR I thought you were being taken to cabin hill by taxi for a look see then, back in the cab to ieper,to be honest as you have no transport that is what I would do,cabin hill is only a small remotish cemetery you pass I think ?? tallana farm on the left again a small cemetery watch out for the bull!! unless you are really into cabin hill 20 min pay your respects ieper bound,on the way back before lille gate shrapnel corner stop off just inside gate, pay the cab ,if open because of recent death a very nice museum +a pint of peace beer,walk into town,please dont tell me you are staying at the ariane,more beer mussels in the anchor waddle off to bed who who could ask for more.

hope this helps

funny enough there is a lad at cabin hill poor Bu++++ was killed on my birthday so I left him a cross.

biffo(not an ariane fan)

ok ariane fans lets have it but I will dive for cover and I aint coming out till its quiet