Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help please with William Harold Roberts

Rosliston Mark

can anyone please help me find information on William Harold Roberts. I do not know his regiment or service number and can find a number of William H Roberts on the medal index. I understand that he enlisted in 1914 and that he lost a leg during the war. His brother told his daughter (the mother in law) that he served in Mesopotamia so presumably this would narrow down the list of possibles. As far as i know hewas only a private... i rwealise this is a big ask but any ideas. Williams only surviving children died many years ago in Wles i believe so what happened to any medals is unknown. I would be very interested to find out his career but the mother in law less so and is not as enthusiastic or forthcoming as i might have hoped for so its down to you.

can anyone please help me find information on William Harold Roberts. I do not know his regiment or service number and can find a number of William H Roberts on the medal index. I understand that he enlisted in 1914 and that he lost a leg during the war. His brother told his daughter (the mother in law) that he served in Mesopotamia so presumably this would narrow down the list of possibles. As far as i know hewas only a private... i rwealise this is a big ask but any ideas. Williams only surviving children died many years ago in Wles i believe so what happened to any medals is unknown. I would be very interested to find out his career but the mother in law less so and is not as enthusiastic or forthcoming as i might have hoped for so its down to you.

sorry i forgot to add that i believe he either lived in Burton on Trent or Birmingham. Not sure when the family moved so as far as local regiments of infantry are concerned the south and North aStaffordshires and Warwickshire and Worcestershire regiments have a William H Roberts but of course he could have been in any of those on the list.

One aspect to help narrow it down is that he would probably have earned a silver war badge and thus appear on the SWB roll - of course if more than one then still an ID problem. He might have qualified for a '15 Star campaign medal if he went overseas early enough.

Have you checked the pensions records on Ancestry? He would likely have received a pension.

Ian

Hi can you post any personal details like DOB or wife's name, as there are a lot of William Roberts.

Mel

Hi can you post any personal details like DOB or wife's name, as there are a lot of William Roberts.

Mel

Mel.. i dont know his exact date of birth but i believe it was between October and December 1894 in Aston. He wasnt married as far as i know until after the war. Hope that may help narrow it down.

His birth was registered in the Dec qtr 1894:

Births Dec 1894

----------------------------------------------

Roberts William Harold Aston 6d 243

His birth was registered in the Dec qtr 1894:

Births Dec 1894

----------------------------------------------

Roberts William Harold Aston 6d 243

i have had a quick check of the pension records this morning but no luck so far.