The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC Site

basiloxford

This has probably been mentioned before, but are there men missing from the CWGC website.

I'm searching for a Frank Purvey, Lance Sergeant, 1st Grenadier Guards, service no 12622,

who died in the autumn of 1914.

I've tried various ways of spelling Purvey, but with no success.

Any ideas,

Barry.

The answer is yes there are hundreds . Efforts are being made by members of this forum and others to remedy these omisions but it is a difficult task.

He is not on Soldiers Died either, but he has a Medal Index Card noted "DEAD" a good case for "In from the Cold" I would have thought. Ralph.

Lots of papers under the "Pension Records" on Ancestry, the most interesting being those before "page 1"!!

Briefly:

Wounded in shoulder and captured 29/10/14

("Killed in Action nr. Ypres 7.11.14" is crossed out and replaced by "Exchange prisoner list 28744")

Developed TB in captivity Nov/14

Released in prisoner exchange 1/7/15

Med Board exams 1/7 & 6/7/15: Tuberculosis of Lung, "recommend discharge as permanently unfit". Result of active service. Gunshot wound in action in France - poor food and exposure while a prisoner of war in Germany.

Discharged 30/7/15

Age 18y 3mo on enlistment 1/3/1906 (in London).

Age 27 last birthday, in July 1915

NoK: Mother Rose Purvey, 32 Blackfriars Rd, Oxford

Brothers Robert William & Charles Horatio, sister Elizabeth.

"Tubercular disease developing as a secondary result of the debility produced by the wound"

Can't find any mention of his death, but this could be him:

Deaths Apr-May-Jun 1916 in Oxford RD - PURVEY Frank, age 28, Vol. 3a Page 1112

Will download the papers tonight, unless someone beats me to it!

Adrian

So he did not die in 1914.

If his death certificate says anything to the effect that his death was due to TB, we have a case to put forward for a post-discharge death.

Thanks for your replies everyone,

The reason i thought he had died in the autumn of 1914, is because a small photograph appeared in

the local weekly newspaper the "Oxford Journal Illustrated", dated Wednesday the 2nd of December 1914,

quoting his Name, Rank, Battalion etc, and saying he was Killed In Action.

I'll have to check the parish records here in Oxford to see if he returned home before he died.

Thanks again,

Barry.

Looks like you've discovered a Gem there Barry

It's not uncommon for newspapers of the time to print incorrect information, one chap of mine was reported to have died, he was still alive, the confusion of war.

Neil

Checked the Parish Register, for his local Church, and he was buried on the 25th of May 1916,

although it doesn't say anything about his death.

I've also now found him in the Ancestry pension records,

so thank again.

Barry.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello John,

Thank you for the link to Frank Purvey.

I was just wondering if you have any idea how the CWGC works as regards to the inscription of War Memorials?

A year last February i was visiting the Cemetery at Osney when i bumped into two men from the CWGC who were there to inscribe the Special Memorial to the men of the First World War.

When i mentioned that i had found Frank Purvey missing from the CWGC, one of the men showed me the template of what they were intending to inscribe, just before i left. On a return visit a few weeks later, expecting to find his name on the memorial, i found that the men had began tracing his name on the Memorial, but they hadn't carved the inscription. As of just a few weeks ago, this inscription was still not completed, and i wondered if you had any idea as to why it would have been left unfinished?.

I've already tried contacting the CWGC by Email to ask the same question, but i never received a reply.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Barry.

Barry

I can only guess that there's someone who does the tracing and then, at some point, the stonemason comes along and does the cutting.

John

I wondered about that myself, but as they didn't complete the tracing, and it was a bitterly cold day, i came to the conclusion that they just got "fed-up" and went home, although i do find it strange that well over a year later the Memorial still hasn't been finished.

Barry.

When I was at Tyne Cot recently a number of names were being added to the Addenda Panel - all IFCP related. The man doing the work had the names etc on some sort of paper template which he had aligned to the edge of the Panel and was drilling/carving directly through the template onto the stone behind. So it seems strange that the Osney memorial is not being updated in the same way.

Neil