Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Portuguese Soldiers & Graves in S E England

Phil Evans

Hello all,

This is a joint request from Liverpool Annie and myself for any information on WW1 graves of Portuguese casualties particularly in Sussex and Hampshire, but elsewhere in the UK would also be appreciated.

So far Annie has found the grave of Manoel de Mattos at Horsham Hills Cemetery.

Terry,

In an old thread from some years back; "The Portuguese Army in WW1", you said that you knew of two graves in Sussex. Do you have any details that can be followed up?

My particular interest is in the camp you referrred to and it's location. Ashdown Forest?

As an aside, the gravestone for Manuel de Mattos is very similar to the CWGC design. Would it have been installed by the CWGC under some arrangement? Is there a Portuguese equivalent of the CWGC?

Enough questions,

Many thanks,

Phil (and Annie)

Phil

There are two Portuguese war graves in Sussex - the one in Horsham (Hills) Cemetery (Manoel de Matos 01.09.18) and another in Brighton (Bear Road) Borough Cemetery (Francisco Bernado 11.07.18). In Hampshire, there is one in Winchester (Magdalene Hill) Cemetery (Benito da Silva Cruz 08.10.17) and one in Haslar Royal Naval Cemetery (L.Doriningos 31.03.18).

Overall, there are thirteen Portuguese army, Portuguese Merchant Navy and civilian labourers buried in the UK.

The headstones are the standard Portuguese design which you will see in Portuguese military cemeteries elsewhere including in France. Those in the UK will be provided by CWGC but at Portugal's cost. All foreign war graves in the UK (except US ones at Brookwood and Cambridge) are in CWGC care.

The soldiers could have been wounded and died under treatment in the UK or have been stationed here. The Portuguese labourers worked in the UK cutting timber etc. They were present at Chelwood Gate on the edge of Ashdown Forest (I lived there till two months ago) and cut down many trees in the area for the war effort but I have scant information - nothing more than than really.

post-19-1211928554.jpg

Hi Terry !

Thats terrific ... thank you ! You said there were 13 overall ... do you think they might all be in Hampshire and Sussex ... or could they be elsewhere ?? .... or am I asking the impossible ?? :huh:

Thank you again for this information though !!

Annie :)

PS Can I ask one more thing ... how can we find out about the battalions inscribed on the headstones ? could you steer us in the right direction ?

No. They are the only ones in Sussex/Hants.

The others are..

Shorncliffe Military Cemetery, Kent

- Corlos Acurcio (20.02.18)

Newport (St Woolos) Cemetery, Glamorganshire

- Antonio da Silva Amonini (Unknown date)

Taunton (St Mary's) Cemetery, Devon

- Joaquim Maria Brandon (03.10.18)

- Manoel Ferreira Maio (07.10.18)

Portuguese Mercantile Marine

Bristol (Arnos Vale) Roman Catholic Cemetery, Gloucestershire

- Steward J.Barretto SS 'Karmala' (xx.12.18)

- Steward F.Dais (xx.12.18)

Civilian Labourers

Plymouth (Weston Mill) Cemetery, Devon

- J.Marques (07.12.17)

- J.Ferreira (07.01.18)

Abbey Cwmhir (St Mary) Churchyard, Radnorshire

- J.da Costa (05.12.18)

Dates of death in brackets

I have no idea about Portuguese units. You need an expert there!

There's a book called "Order of Battle of the British Armies in France (including Lines of Communication Units) and Order of Battle of the Portuguese Expeditionary Force: November 11th, 1918". Mine's a facsimile reprint, but I don't recall its source and its not marked. Its limitation is that it refers to the PEF after the disaster at the Battle of the Lys, and its subsequent reorganisation.

I've had a quick scan through the units recorded, but found nothing to match 287/2 Esc.

I am being slow. I also have that book on the shelf here! It came from Naval & Military Press.

Thanks for the reminder, Richard.

My portugese is virtually non-existent but the unit is 287/ 2nd squadron/RCS.

The 2 has a small 0 next to it for "secundo" and "esq" is esquadrao or squadron.

Thank you very much Terry, Richard and Heid the Ba' for your contributions.

Phil

Hi Greenwoodman !

"I've had a quick scan through the units recorded, but found nothing to match 287/2 Esc."

The other headstone we found had this 511/2A COMP./GR. ART. GUARNICAO

By any chance would this be in the units recorded ?

Thanking you in advance

Annie

The actual name on the gravestone in the Newport cemetery is slightly different to that stated in Terry's list above - Antonio Da Silva Amorim. The inscription on the gravestone states that he was "Transporte Gunene" and "Falecido Em 14.5 1921".

Hi,

If they were buried in the UK, the chances are that they may have civilian death certificates.

Like this one:-

Deaths Sep 1918 (99%) De Mattos Manoel 22 Horsham 2b386,

Regards,

Darin.

Hi !

Greenwoodman ... Thank you for your reply !

Versigny ....... Thank you for that .... it sounds like you have seen the headstone .... can you tell me anything about it or the soldier ?

Darin ... I appreciate that .. I did sent for the death certificate yesterday .... I really need to send for the others that Terry kindly gave us but I was hoping to find some other facts about these men first

I appreciate everybody's help

Thanks again

Annie :)

Thanks all,

I am slowly plodding through the GRO index for them, complete with variations in spelling etc.

It is Matos on his headstone, but Mattos, as Darin has it, at the GRO.

Your version, Versigny, is also the one registered.

Phil

Annie, sorry, no information, but I do have a photo of the grave. It's not best quality, so not easily readable when downsized, which is why I haven't posted it here. But the full sized photo is perfectly ok and I can email this to you if you would like it.