Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help finding mic from this uniform

mazzie74

Hi again,

I am posting a photo of my wife's Great-Grandfather, William Lamb who served in WWI.

He was from Northumberland.

Can anybody identify this uniform, and from this help me locate his service number and mic?

Also, what is that round his shoulder, and what does this represent? And the emblem on his breast pocket?

If anybody can help, I would also like to locate the mic of his father, Matthew Ridley Lamb (Pte. 3/9241), Northumberland Fusiliers. who was killed in 1916.

Thanks in advance,

Darin.

post-30969-1211922365.jpg

It's a post-war picture of a Lance Corporal in the Royal Artillery - collar badges on OR's are normally a sign of post-war, also he's wearing the post-war type cap with the larger peak.

Around his shoulder is a lanyard, originally supposed to hold a clasp knife but usually relagated to dressing up the tunic as it wasn't very practical.

What can be seen in his pocket is the T-bar for a watch (or sometimes a whistle) chain. Above that, medal ribbons - looks to be the standard WW1 BWM and VM pair.

Darin, Matthew Lamb has an MIC on Ancestry if you PM me your email address I can send it to you. Ralph.

Darin, Matthew Lamb has an MIC on Ancestry if you PM me your email address I can send it to you. Ralph.

Snap:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Description Medal card of Lamb, Matthew R

Corps Regiment No Rank

Northumberland Fusiliers 3/9241 Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/11

Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies

Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War

Piece Jobling J - Langley P

Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection

Hi Ralph,

Cheers,

I got it.

Brilliant - Matthew died in Gosforth Temporary Military Hospital of Gunshot wounds to the hip and abdomen, and pneumonia.

Thanks very much,

Darin.

Snap:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Description Medal card of Lamb, Matthew R

Corps Regiment No Rank

Northumberland Fusiliers 3/9241 Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/11

Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies

Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War

Piece Jobling J - Langley P

Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the information.

I was just noticing your names at the bottom - your Shoplands weren't from Cardiff by any chance?

Thanks,

Darin.

Darin, There are 13 William Lambs on Soldiers Died cd-rom (no other initial I take it) ? of these one was killed, one received a Silver War Badge, and one was previously with the Middlesex Regt , leaving the following numbers :- 840624;72030;180266;192329;232555;246840;187904;94262;79399;204643. May be of use to you, anyone of them could be your man. Ralph.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the information.

I was just noticing your names at the bottom - your Shoplands weren't from Cardiff by any chance?

Thanks,

Darin.

Not that I know - several years ago now I purchased the death plaque to Herbert Shopland at a car boot sale in Exeter (see link below) - since the plaque was obviously cherished during its life, I put his surname in my signature in the vain hope his medals and anything else might turn up at some point:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...amp;hl=shopland

Hi again,

I am posting a photo of my wife's Great-Grandfather, William Lamb who served in WWI.

He was from Northumberland.

Can anybody identify this uniform, and from this help me locate his service number and mic?

Also, what is that round his shoulder, and what does this represent? And the emblem on his breast pocket?

If anybody can help, I would also like to locate the mic of his father, Matthew Ridley Lamb (Pte. 3/9241), Northumberland Fusiliers. who was killed in 1916.

Thanks in advance,

Darin.

He is a Lance Bombardier and wearing the 1903 pattern waistbelt from a set of bandolier equipment and both collar badges and lanyard at right shoulder indicate a date of around 1920-24, as the lanyard was moved from the left shoulder to the right shoulder over that period. In the RA (RHA,RFA,RGA) the lanyard was a mandatory item of dress at that time and secured the issue clasp knife (although it was previously used for both a hoof pick and a folding trigger device, depending on role).

Hi Daren,

Mathew Lamb, common name in Northumberland unfortunately. Where did Matthew and William live etc. I have researched a bit about some of the Lambs from all over Northumberland.

Alan

Hi Daren,

Mathew Lamb, common name in Northumberland unfortunately. Where did Matthew and William live etc. I have researched a bit about some of the Lambs from all over Northumberland.

Alan

Hi Alan,

I have the Lamb family in the Elswick and Westgate areas of Newcastle in the 1800's, and after Matthew Ridley Lamb was killed in 1916, his widow and 4 children moved to Seghill, Northumberland.

William then moved to Dudley, Northumberland.

This is Matthew Ridley Lambs grave from St. John's (Westgate) Cemetery, Elswick.

Thanks,

Darin.

post-30969-1212040410.jpg