The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

37 Division attack At Greenland Hill

david crouch

Hi all

I was wondering if any forum members could point me in the right direction. I am after a trench map of the 63rd Brigades (37th Divisions) assualt at Greenland Hill in April 1917 (21st-28th April). Ideally I would like one that shows hyderabad redoubt, greenland hill and square wood if possible. I know the WFA offers a map service but I have no idea of which map is required. Hope someone can help.

Regards

Dave

• 2 months later...
Hi all

I was wondering if any forum members could point me in the right direction. I am after a trench map of the 63rd Brigades (37th Divisions) assualt at Greenland Hill in April 1917 (21st-28th April). Ideally I would like one that shows hyderabad redoubt, greenland hill and square wood if possible. I know the WFA offers a map service but I have no idea of which map is required. Hope someone can help.

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

The best maps of this action are those contained within the various war diaries; the best of which are actually from 111 and 112 Bde: WO95/2534 (111Bde) contains operational maps of 23rd, whilst WO95/2532 (10RFus) also contains such maps relating to 28th action.

Most significantly, I would also refer you to the latter document containing 2 x reports from Officers of 13 R Fus into events of 28th, describing how 63rd Bde apparently lost direction. The reports by 2Lt's Vaughan and Whaley shed light on the otherwise sparce detail of the 63rd Bde attack.

For more information, I would also recommend the Official History of the Great War, which records the 63rd Bde attack of 28th in greater detail than reported elsewhere, even taking into account the 63 Bde War Diary. 112 Bde HQ also has maps of both actions and 37 Div HQ again contains situational maps of the Divisions activities.

Personally I'd recommend 111 Bde material noted above, not least because some is already digitised and can be downloaded from home.

Hope that helps, do let me know what aspects of the actions you are interested in as I have a similar interest and would gladly swap information.

Regards

Jeremy

Website with various trench maps,you may find it here www.pathsofglory.co.uk

Thanks skipman. The help is much appreciated.

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

The best maps of this action are those contained within the various war diaries; the best of which are actually from 111 and 112 Bde: WO95/2534 (111Bde) contains operational maps of 23rd, whilst WO95/2532 (10RFus) also contains such maps relating to 28th action.

Most significantly, I would also refer you to the latter document containing 2 x reports from Officers of 13 R Fus into events of 28th, describing how 63rd Bde apparently lost direction. The reports by 2Lt's Vaughan and Whaley shed light on the otherwise sparce detail of the 63rd Bde attack.

For more information, I would also recommend the Official History of the Great War, which records the 63rd Bde attack of 28th in greater detail than reported elsewhere, even taking into account the 63 Bde War Diary. 112 Bde HQ also has maps of both actions and 37 Div HQ again contains situational maps of the Divisions activities.

Personally I'd recommend 111 Bde material noted above, not least because some is already digitised and can be downloaded from home.

Hope that helps, do let me know what aspects of the actions you are interested in as I have a similar interest and would gladly swap information.

Regards

Jeremy

Dear Jeremy

Thanks very much for your kind help it is very much appreciated. I was starting to give up hope. My great granfather was killed in the action on the 28th. Thanks once again.

Dave

Thanks skipman. The help is much appreciated.

Regards

Dave

Dear Jeremy

Thanks very much for your kind help it is very much appreciated. I was starting to give up hope. My great granfather was killed in the action on the 28th. Thanks once again.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Additionally to my last, WO95/2537 has the Bde boundary map relating to the attack of 28th, almost identical to WO95/2532 mentioned above but containing that extra information: very relevant to your work. 63rd Bde narrative is also very useful in deciphering what occured. Do I presume that you already have copies of WO95/2529? If not, that is relevant to "your" Bn and as with other quoted sources, digitised thereby making most use of your time.

Of the original docs, if you have time, examine 37 Div HQ records, which apart from all casualty returns, nominal rolls and narratives also has a couple of positional maps of actions of 23rd and 28th April, clearly marking the approximate locations of all relevant formations, the latter comprising 3 maps, situation at 06:00hrs, 12:00hrs and 23:00hrs 28/04/17.

If there is any other material I come across in my reseach that might be of relevance, I will let you know. Happy hunting

Regards

Jeremy

Hi Dave,

Additionally to my last, WO95/2537 has the Bde boundary map relating to the attack of 28th, almost identical to WO95/2532 mentioned above but containing that extra information: very relevant to your work. 63rd Bde narrative is also very useful in deciphering what occured. Do I presume that you already have copies of WO95/2529? If not, that is relevant to "your" Bn and as with other quoted sources, digitised thereby making most use of your time.

Of the original docs, if you have time, examine 37 Div HQ records, which apart from all casualty returns, nominal rolls and narratives also has a couple of positional maps of actions of 23rd and 28th April, clearly marking the approximate locations of all relevant formations, the latter comprising 3 maps, situation at 06:00hrs, 12:00hrs and 23:00hrs 28/04/17.

If there is any other material I come across in my reseach that might be of relevance, I will let you know. Happy hunting

Regards

Jeremy

Thanls Jeremy

This is extremely useful. Hope all is well

Regards

Dave