Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Cyclist Units

Guest Hill 60

I am looking for information (set up etc) on the Army Cyclist Corps, the Highland, Northern, Huntingdonshire & Kent Cyclist Battalions and the various Cyclist Bns within regiments.

I posted this question on the last Forum (and the WFA one..) and I'm grateful to all those who answered my call for info. I've posted it again on the off chance that someone else might have some info and hadn't seen the question before.

Lee

I haven't got much more general information other than I gave you on the old Forum. If you have some specific questions, why not e-mail me and I may be able to give you some answers.

Charles M

• 3 weeks later...

Th following information was taken from Frederick's Lineage plus other various references that I have.

The Highland Cyclist Battalion.

This Unit has a history that goes back to the middle of the 19th century with the formation of the Rifle Volunteer Corps. With much reorganization of these Corps they finally became a Volunteer Battalion of The Black Watch [Royal Highlanders] on the 1st. July 1881.

On the 1st. December 1887 they were re-designated as the 5th. [Perthshire Highland] Volunteer Battalion.

Re-organized with the formation of the Territorial Force on 1st. April 1908 they were re- designated as the 8th. [Cyclist] Battalion of the Regiment.

In January 1909 they were re-designated as The Highland Cyclist Battalion.

On the 4th. August 1914 they were embodied. They were re-numbered during March 1915 as the 1st. /1st. Battalion, and disembodied on 3rd. December 1919.

During 1920 they were absorbed into the Highland Division Signals.

The 2nd./1st. Battalion were formed on 14th. July 1915, and disbanded on 3rd. July 1919.

The 3rd./1st. Battalion were formed during 1915 at Kirkcaldy, and disbanded during 1916 with the personnel being drafted to other lines and the Machine-gun Corps.

The Huntingdon Cyclist Battalion.

This Unit was raised at Huntingdon on the 27th. February 1914. On the 4th. August 1914 they were embodied. They were re-numbered during March 1915 as the 1st. /1st. Battalion, and disembodied on 14th. April 1919.

The 2nd./1st. Battalion were formed during 1914, and disbanded on the 12th. December 1919.

The 3rd./1st. Battalion were formed around 1915, and later disbanded.

6th. [Cyclist] Battalion The Queen’s Own Royal West Kent Regiment.

This Unit was raised at Tonbridge on 1st. April 1908. as the 6th. Battalion The Queen’s Own Royal West Kent Regiment. During 1910. they transferred as The Kent Cyclist Battalion.

On the 4th. August 1914 they were embodied. They were numbered as the 1st. /1st. Battalion, and disembodied during February 1920 in India and were reconstituted as the 13th. [Kent] Medium Brigade, Royal Garrison Artillery and the 13th. [Kent] Medium Artillery Brigade, Signal Section.

The 2nd./1st. Battalion were formed at Canterbury during 1914, and disbanded on the 28th. July 1919.

The 3rd./1st. Battalion were formed at Canterbury around 1915.

8th. [Cyclist] Battalion The Northumberland Fusiliers.

This Unit was raised at Sunderland during October 1908 as the 8th. [Cyclist] Battalion of the Regiment; and later at

Newcastle. They transferred during 1910 as The Northern Cyclist Battalion. On the 4th. August 1914 they were embodied. They were re-numbered as the 1st. /1st. Battalion, and disembodied on 24th. January 1919.

The 2nd./1st. Battalion were formed during 1914, and disbanded on the 17th. April 1919.

The 3rd./1st. Battalion were formed around 1915 at Newcastle During 1916, the personnel, if willing went to the Machine-gun Corps or the 1st./1st. and 2nd./1st. The Northern Cyclist Battalions.

Arthur

Kent Cyclist Btn

"The Headquarters of the battalion are at Tonbridge, the company stations A to H being at Bromley, Tonbridge, Chatham, Maidstone, Tunbridge Wells, Canterbury and Ashford, Ramsgate & Folkestone, in the order named, the machine gun section being with company E at Tunbridge Wells. The present strength wants sixty-five to complete establishment. The Hon Colonel of the battalion is Colonel H Streatfield, M.V.O., Equerry to King Edward, and the commanding Officer Lt Col. C.E.Warner, V.D. the unit belongs to the Army Troops attached to the Home Counties Division in the Eastern Command."

taken from "His Majesty's Territorial Army"

Just seen your note on the discussion forum - I have been researching the Huntingdonshire Cyclist battalions for 12 years - I have large database of all men that passed through the unit. I will only be too pleased to help any researchers - I also have a draft website at huntscycles.co.uk

Martyn Smith

Martyn - Thanks for the offer. I've seen your website and I'm impressed, it is very informative; well done.

I'm really looking for basics when it comes to the cyclist units; when/where they were formed etc.

Cheers - Lee