Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA/ medal ribbons?

davidfegga

My cousin recently found this photo of my Granddad L/33330 Cpl Benjamin Fellows RFA, amongst some old belongings in the loft. He was demobbed in May 1919, being in France since January 1916. I'm assuming the photo is from 1919, as there are 4 overseas chevrons?

But what really took my eye was what looks like a medal ribbon above his left breast pocket. His MIC just states BWM/VIC, and as far as I know (records destroyed) that's it. So would he have received these medals before May 1919, is it a medal I don't know about, or is the photo later date?

post-6033-1211879523.jpg

post-6033-1211879551.jpg

Seems curious...

One thought - could he have served with a different regiment and earned a 15 Star, for instance? I note some 13 Benjamin Fellows in the MIC listings.

Maybe, if he did, his cards were duplicated? Otherwise perghaps a gallantry medal (check the gazettes)?

Ian

I don't think he served in another regiment. We have some postcards from August 1915, which mention him training in Ripon with 175

(Staffs) brigade RFA, and others from the war years until demob, still with 175 . Will try and search the LG.

Dave

Bumping this back up!

Have searched the LG , but couldn't find anything. Mentioned all this to my Dad last night, and explained about BWM/VIC, and he said "I rememeber there being more than 2 medals in the draw"! (they were kept there, then 'lost').

Though my Dad doesn't know much about his Dad's war service, and he said that Granddad rarely mentioned it, I would have thought that IF he won another medal, then that would have been family knowledge.

Intriguing. Any ideas where else I could look?

Dave

My cousin recently found this photo of my Granddad L/33330 Cpl Benjamin Fellows RFA, amongst some old belongings in the loft. He was demobbed in May 1919, being in France since January 1916. I'm assuming the photo is from 1919, as there are 4 overseas chevrons?

But what really took my eye was what looks like a medal ribbon above his left breast pocket. His MIC just states BWM/VIC, and as far as I know (records destroyed) that's it. So would he have received these medals before May 1919, is it a medal I don't know about, or is the photo later date?

David;

Your Grandad appears to be wearing four chevrons on his right arm which would indicate service during four years in a theatre of war, so it appears to me that he would have been entitled to at least the 1914/15 Star in addition to the BWM and the VM. Could someone else comment on this in case I am mistaken?

Bob

David;

Your Grandad appears to be wearing four chevrons on his right arm which would indicate service during four years in a theatre of war, so it appears to me that he would have been entitled to at least the 1914/15 Star in addition to the BWM and the VM. Could someone else comment on this in case I am mistaken?

Bob

Bob,

As per my post (No. 2) I wondered if he served in a previous unit (earning the 14/15 Star, or even the 14 Star?)

If so, it would be worth trawling through the MICs under his name to see if there is not a second card for the earlier medal, which could have been earned in a different regiment.

He could then have been transferred to the RFA and sent back to Blighty for training in August 15?

Just my thoughts....

Ian

PS - Might be worth looking at SDGW for casualties in the RFA around his number, to see if any were transferees from previous regiments? It might give a clue on this chap.

Would the BWM/VIC (or at least the ribbons) have been available to wear when this picture was taken? (assuming before demob May 1919).

Dave