Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

POWs in the Hague

widwick

I have two pictures of named officers and men from a battalion history which are captioned 'Prisoners of War interned at the Haag, Holland'. They are all in standard uniform, many with walking sticks. There is one unnamed sailor and one officer (gaunt and thin) with his wife!

Can anyone tell me whether British army personnel were kept in camps in Holland for the duration or whether these photos are likely to be circa end of war posed just prior to leaving for England, and represents a batch of POWs collected from German camps.

Grateful for any ideas and views

Many thanks

Tony

Hello Tony,

The main interment camp for the British was at Groningen, troublemakers were interned at a special camp in Vlissingen. Needless to say there were more Belgians there then British :D

Internees who signed a declaration that they would not escape were granted considerable liberties. Wives were allowed to live with their husband in Holland and they could even go on leave in England as long as they promised to return! In December 1915 the British government recognized the signing of the declaration and even went to far as to return officers to Holland who despite their signing had escaped. From 1916 onwards leave was allowed twice a year. Those British who refused to sign were interned in the Dutch fort of Wierickerschans. After December 1915 those who had signed were allowed to live in cities and because of their considerable allowance and lots of spare time were described as ‘bon vivands’ I hope and think your lot are just that!

Regards,

Marco

No problem Tony. There is an excelent book on the subject, but it is in Dutch.... Sometimes strange occurances like wounded British and German soldiers having a fight in the docks when they were being exchanged. The next time this exchange took place they were kept seperate :D

Regards,

Marco

Widwick

on top of the arrangements for internees that Marco has described, there were also prisoner swap arrangements in 1918 for ex POWs - first Officers, then NCOs. They were sent from POW camps in Germany to Holland and lived under the arrangements Marco has described.

A cousin of my Granny's was moved from POW camp in Germany to The Hague in 1918. They lived in private houses and seem to have had quite a lot of freedom. They even went on an organised weekend to Amsterdam and Haarlem to see the sights.

Marco

Could you post the details of het boek in het nederlands? Sounds interesting! Thanks a lot

Pat

Hello Pat,

To tease the rest of the list:

Roodt, E. de OORLOGSGASTEN – VLUCHTELINGEN EN KRIJGSGEVANGENEN IN NEDERLAND TIJDENS DE EERSTE WERELDOORLOG. 2000, 464 pages, 26x18 cm., Europese Bibliotheek. 90-288-1426-4

Regards,

Marco

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Marco and Bob

I've unearthed a bit more information (as always this prompts more questions!)

I've got a copy of a War Office letter dated 1 September 1915 which acknowledges one from Oi/c Records York that the soldier is a POW in Munster, Germany.

Noting that he is standing with a walking stick in the Hague picture and was disembodied, age 46 and given an invalid pension out on his return (knee damage), he is unlikely to have escaped and made it to Holland to be interned.

Therefore is it safe to assume that he was part of an exchange of soldiers unlikely to fight again and was only transiting through the Hague. If so would this be prior to end of hostilities. Anyone released at the end of the war from German POW camps would not transit through Holland?

And yet the picture is captioned 'POWs interned at the Hague, Holland'

I would be grateful for your comments/thoughts

Thanks

Tony

Tony

this sounds like the arrangement I described in my earlier post above. ie part of an officer exchange, interned for a few months in Holland in 1918. My grandmother's cousin was in POW camps in Germany from 1916-8 then, as part of an NCO exchange, in the Hague from July 1918 to the end of the war. Sounds like your chap was the same

Pat

Pat

What was yor chap's name? Granny's cousin was L/C Percy Roe, 16th Manchesters. He mentions some other chaps in his letters.

Pat

Tony

I'm afraid he isn't mentioned in Percy Roe's letters. But, who knows, they could have known each other

Pat

• 5 years later...
Pat

480 Sgt John Robert Greaves, 8th Bn (T.F.) Durham Light Infantry

Tony

I have recently been studying old photos of my grandfather,DLI Serjeant John William Bilton, and have a copy of the officers and NCOs photograph taken at The Hague in 1918. I too knew that he was a prisoner of war, but only recently found out he was interned. I still don't know if he was in Germany first - like so many men he never talked about the war. The Durham Record Office DLI site has a few copies of this photo, but one of them names all the men. There are mistakes - probably it was copied from handwritten names on the back - and my grandfather's name is shown as Belton. Sergeant Greaves is there, and I have portrait photos taken in 1918 of two other serjeants, Fred Calder and Ernest Barber. There's another of them in PE wear, but it's not as clear.

My grandfather was moved to Urk in the middle of 1918, and was in trouble for being out of camp without permission, hitting a civilian policeman and an officer etc... He was Corporal William Needham 11995 8th Lincolns, captured at Loos......Marco,have you any info on Urk?

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure exactly what help I can offer here, but firstly I live in the Hague and secondly I'd be happy to translate any Dutch text that might arise.

Alfred

• 5 months later...

All,

I appreciate that this is an old thread, but I can add that my wife's grandfather was also in the 1/8th DLI, was captured at Ypres (we believe at Boetleer Farm) and was a pow until early 1918 when he turned up in the Hague. From his postcards, internment appeared to be pretty free and easy, playing tennis and spending a lot of time on the beach. He was a teacher and spent some time as a tutor to a Dutch family.

John