Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ramsgate fishermen drafted into the Navy?

mazzie74

Hi,

My Great-Great-Grandfather, John Alfred Stupples (1872-1936) of Ramsgate, Kent and his brother, George Edmund Stupples (1875-1943) were both fishermen.

I have heard a family story that during WWI, they were drafted into the Navy (against their wishes so the story goes) as they were both skippers, and their fishing trawlers commandeered to patrol the stour (or possibly the Medway).

Does this type of thing ring true.

I can't seem to find either of the Stupples brothers (there were 2 others as well, although I don't know if they were called up) listed on the National Archives database of WWI Seamen.

Although We do have this postcard from John Alfred Stupples' daughter.

If they were called up, could anybody point me into the direction of any information (ie mic's, Service Records etc) on the Stupples brothers?

Thanks in advance,

Darin, Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

post-30969-1211830532.jpg

name='mazzie74' date='May 26 2008, 08:35 PM' post='927856']

Hi,

My Great-Great-Grandfather, John Alfred Stupples (1872-1936) of Ramsgate, Kent and his brother, George Edmund Stupples (1875-1943) were both fishermen.

I have heard a family story that during WWI, they were drafted into the Navy (against their wishes so the story goes) as they were both skippers, and their fishing trawlers commandeered to patrol the stour (or possibly the Medway).

I can't seem to find either of the Stupples brothers (there were 2 others as well, although I don't know if they were called up) listed on the National Archives database of WWI Seamen.

If they were called up, could anybody point me into the direction of any information (ie mic's, Service Records etc) on the Stupples brothers?

Thanks in advance,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HI DARIN

TRAWLERS WERE COMMISIONED BY THE ADMIRALTY MY GREAT UNCLE ERNIES TRAWLER WERE HE WAS A TRIMMER WAS USED AS A MINE SWEEPER IN THE SHETLANDS WERE IT GOT TORPEDOED

SHIRL

Darin, the CLACTON BELLE was a Paddle Minesweeper, 458 tons, built 1904 and fitted with 2x6 pdr AA guns, hired 16/8/15 to 8/11/19.

Best wishes

David

Darin,

HMS Action.. would be HMS Acteon which was a Torpedo training establishment and Depot ship at Sheerness.

Regards Charles

Shrl,

What vessel was your Great Uncle Ernie on when it was torpedoed?

Robb

name='mazzie74' date='May 26 2008, 08:35 PM' post='927856']

Hi,

Thanks in advance,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HI DARIN

TRAWLERS WERE COMMISIONED BY THE ADMIRALTY MY GREAT UNCLE ERNIES TRAWLER WERE HE WAS A TRIMMER WAS USED AS A MINE SWEEPER IN THE SHETLANDS WERE IT GOT TORPEDOED

SHIRL

Darin,

It is likely that the Stupples brothers went into the Royal Navay Reserve, their records are not online. Microfische copies of their service records are at Kew, while the originals are at the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

Darin,

It is likely that the Stupples brothers went into the Royal Navay Reserve, their records are not online. Microfische copies of their service records are at Kew, while the originals are at the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

Hi,

Thank you for your advice.

I will contact the Fleet Air Arm Museum, as I think you may have hit the nail on the head.

I have just asked them for my Great-Great Uncles Service Records (he was in the royal Marine Light Infantry), so I will wait until I hear back about that before I contact them again.

Thanks again,

Darin.

• 1 month later...
Guest tiffa*71

Hi Darin,

My Great Grandfather was John Alfred Stupples. I have quite a bit of information about him and a little about George. I also have a copy of the Stupples family tree dating back to 1779. I've spotted you on it so I hope Nicola, Kieran and Ben are well! John or 'Jack' as he was beter known was skipper of both trawlers and a Paddle Steamer the PS Clacton Belle at Scapa Flow in WW1. A very risky business but paddle steamers were favoured for their shallow draft and manouverability. I would love to be able to send you a copy of the family tree and some photos of John. in the latter years of his life he was skipper of the 'Moss Rose' a pleasure steamer out of Ramsgate harbour. My grandmother was one of his many children, Nellie Solly (nee Stupples).

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best wishes, Chris Cox

Hi,

Thanks in advance,

• spof locked this topic