Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

atherstone war memorial

kevan darby

Hi Everyone,

Ive just been reading the post, I'm trying to track down the WW1 Atherstone War Memorial, not sure if it will still exist, I'm hoping to find a photo of my great grand uncle on it.

Any advice on where it may be found if possible.

Many Thanks

Paul

• 9 months later...

Paul.

As I pointed out in my last post,

The photos have also been enlarged and re-touched, and are included in a memorial display in St. Mary's church Atherstone. Worth a visit if you are in the area, especially if you want some faces

The display is still on in the church, but in a smaller layout. The diplay features photos, artifacts, and memorial book.

BRgds Alan

P.S.

Terry, There is a local man, W.A. Gayton in the gallery, but he is wearing the RWR cap bade not the RIR, not sure if he was transfered, or an error.

• 1 month later...

I have uploaded a photo of the grave of one of my ancestors listed in this war memorial. He is buried in Étaples military cemetery in France.

post-125372-0-48134900-1447241442_thumb.

The grave reads:

4072 LANCE CPL

W.H. TONKS

ROYAL WARWICKSHIRE REGT.

20TH MAY 1917

I believe from the photo he may be a great, great uncle of mine and the lady pictured is likely his mother (my great, great, great grandmother).

• 1 year later...
On 5/26/2008 at 12:13, kevan darby said:

Can anyone put any names to the men on this memorial from atherstone in Warwickshire

atherstone_memorial.JPGtttttttttttttttttttt.JPG

I know that his is about 7 years ago but yes I can help, I have copies of these photo's from the Herald to compare... for instance 2nd row 2nd from left is Pvt A E Johnson of the Leicestershire Regiment. I also have details of places of death, burial, and 1911 census details for them all

Soldiers photos330 Johnson A E.jpg

On 12/3/2014 at 02:45, phorton86 said:

Hi Everyone,

Ive just been reading the post, I'm trying to track down the WW1 Atherstone War Memorial, not sure if it will still exist, I'm hoping to find a photo of my great grand uncle on it.

Any advice on where it may be found if possible.

Many Thanks

Paul

Paul what is his name, I have lists of every man named on a memorial on North Warks and photo's of nearly every man on the Atherstone Memorial

9 hours ago, Ian @ NNWFHS said:

Paul what is his name, I have lists of every man named on a memorial on North Warks and photo's of nearly every man on the Atherstone Memorial

Im Still here everyone ! thanks Kevin! 

Hi Ian, 

His name is John William Aucott however it might be spelled as Ancott. I have had the inscription changed from Ancott to Aucott at Tyne Cot via the CWGC a few years ago now. There was also rumour that his younger brother Joseph Albert Aucott (my great grandfather) also joined up he lived so wouldn't be on the memorial but I've never been able to track Josephs regiment or position down. There are family stories that Joseph was with his brother john when john died in the battle of ypres but no evidence to suggest otherwise. 

do you have an email ian? 

On 2/4/2017 at 01:55, phorton86 said:

Im Still here everyone ! thanks Kevin! 

Hi Ian, 

His name is John William Aucott however it might be spelled as Ancott. I have had the inscription changed from Ancott to Aucott at Tyne Cot via the CWGC a few years ago now. There was also rumour that his younger brother Joseph Albert Aucott (my great grandfather) also joined up he lived so wouldn't be on the memorial but I've never been able to track Josephs regiment or position down. There are family stories that Joseph was with his brother john when john died in the battle of ypres but no evidence to suggest otherwise. 

do you have an email ian? 

Hi Paul, he is not on the Atherstone Memorial but he is on the Hartshill Memorial as Ancott although our page carries his real name. Here is our memorial. I am sorry but we do not yet have a photo
http://www.nnwfhs.org.uk/catch-all/first-world-war-centenary-2/men-of-ww1-members-detailed-pages/1003-pvt-jw-aucott
My email is ilshu1@comcast.net

Guest juvbeatus
On 8/2/2010 at 01:44, DAVE MARTIN said:

Does anyone know if Watler Thomas Tipper is on the Atherstone Memorial. He was KIA 14 - 16th September 1916 as a member of 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards. He is on the Atherstone Casualty list, which is on an earlier post. I have his death plaque and British War Medal.

Thanks

not sure but he was my great-grandfather, his son my grandfather also served in the first world war and his son,my uncle walter was born in 1918 and named after him

Guest juvbeatus

dave martin,

my great grandfather was Walter Tipper and his son my grandfather SAmuel also fought in first world war. He married my grand-mother who was a woods and my oldest uncle was born in 1918 and named Walter after my great grandfather. I now live in birminghamm but the family mainley lived in the Hinckley and Nuneaton area 

On 2/7/2017 at 02:04, juvbeatus said:

not sure but he was my great-grandfather, his son my grandfather also served in the first world war and his son,my uncle walter was born in 1918 and named after him

Hi both, yes Walter is on the Atherstone War Memorial, here are the details we know of him. I will be building his memorial page in next 2 days or so and any info you have would be welcome

Guardsman 24496 Walter Thomas TIPPER
1st Battalion, Grenadier Guards Enlisted 15 November 1915
Killed in action 14 September 1916 France and Flanders aged 29
Commemorated: Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France. Panel ref: Pier and Face 8D
Awarded: British War and Victory medals
Son of Walter Thomas (dec) and Elizabeth Henrietta Tipper of 4 Willday’s Terrace, Atherstone

Copyright for the photo - it will be fine on an ancestry/findmypast tree but otherwise will need to attributed

Photograph from Tamworth Herald held on British Newspaper Archive (www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk) © British Library Board.  All rights reserved.  Image © Local World Limited/Trinity Mirror. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

Soldiers photos635 Tipper W.jpg

On 11/11/2015 at 03:40, akamas said:

I have uploaded a photo of the grave of one of my ancestors listed in this war memorial. He is buried in Étaples military cemetery in France.

WHTonks.jpg

The grave reads:

4072 LANCE CPL

W.H. TONKS

ROYAL WARWICKSHIRE REGT.

20TH MAY 1917

I believe from the photo he may be a great, great uncle of mine and the lady pictured is likely his mother (my great, great, great grandmother).

Do you have this photo
Copyright to be attributed is

Photograph from Tamworth Herald held on British Newspaper Archive (www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk) © British Library Board.  All rights reserved.  Image © Local World Limited/Trinity Mirror. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

Soldiers photos646 Tonks W H.jpg

• 3 weeks later...