Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

atherstone war memorial

kevan darby

From the hint from the local History Society, it seems someone needs to contact the (New) Dolphin, as that is where they suggest it may be.....

As mentioned, might be a good excuse to check out the other hostelries too, just in case someone there may know more....

Anyone in the Atherstone area willing to volunteer, in the name of historical research of course?

hi all,

looking for information on 8905 l/cpl edward ray of the south staffs died of wounds 24/1/15, if anyone finds anything on him let me know!

enoch

No doubt you already have this?

Name: RAY

Initials: E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 24/01/1915

Service No: 8905

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. L. 13.

Cemetery: MERVILLE COMMUNAL CEMETERY

What makes you think there was an Atherstone connection?

soldiers died has him born dudley worc. enlisted walsall staffs residing atherstone warwicks.

enoch

• 4 months later...

He was an Atherstone man, I have seen a newspaper article mentioning him. I will dig it out

Alan

hi alan,

i have pm you, hope you hear from you soon

enoch

Hi enoch,

Yes same man, I have sent you a cutting relating to his death.

Alan

thankyou alan, youre a star

enoch

I was intrigued to find this Atherstone thread, as my great-grandfather (born 1865) was "in charge of the war pensions office" in Atherstone in 1919. He committed suicide in his hotel room on 1 February 1919, and in the report of the inquest it was stated that "his work had been troubling him a great deal".

I have often wondered why.

Just recently I emailed the town council to see if there was a plan of the cemetery, as we had no idea if he has been accorded a proper burial, and they responded next day with a photograph of his surprisingly handsome individual headstone.

As there is such an Atherstone expert on this thread ;) I just thought I'd quickly ask if anything is known about the war pensions office in the town, and why it should be apparently so stressful.

My ancestor was a career soldier, had served in India in the late 19th century, and was too old to be sent abroad during WWI apparently.

If there is a chance of finding any more about him, I should probably start a new thread elsewhere.

Angela

Atherstone Quarterly update.

I popped into the red Lion today, just to see if anyone had found out anything about the missing memorial. No news I'm afraid. But, the pub has been recently redecorated and I saw that the memorial to the WWII men had gone. i was told that it has been put upstairs as it is in need of cleaning/restoration. Something to keep an eye on, or this will disappear.

By coincidence, the Red Lion is the Hotel where Angela's relative (Captain Nicholas Charles Harvey) commited suicide, a most horrible death using a cut throat razor to the neck. I don't know anything about the stresses of working in the pension office, and doubt I ever will, but I have the Atherstone News article relating to the coroners inquirery if you would like a copy Angela. Captain Harvey also took in the Boar war as well as India.

Popped into the White Horse pub also to find a man who talks a lot about the Red Lions memorial, but he wasn't there. I don't recommend the gents.

I have also done some comparing of names on the Atherstone war memorial, to those listed in the Local heritage societys publications , and find that there is quite a differance. Cpl E Ray is named on the Atherstone war memorial by the way.

I also seem to have lost a few folders 1916 - 1918 Atherstone News extracts and photos, got to go searching my archives now, depressing.

Some one asked about local archives, sorry to say they are all Held at County Records Office in Warwick, one day I will have to visit there, but not just yet.

Alan

Hi Alan,

Wow, what a sleuth you are!

Yes, thank you, I do have the newspaper cuttings relating to the inquest - it reads almost like a play script. I dug them out many years ago from the BL Newspaper Library. But it was very kind of you to go to the trouble. I hadn't liked to go into too much detail about the gruesome story here, as it was not the subject of this thread.

Sounds as if Atherstone's must have been the "bullring" of pensions offices! ;)

Angela

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if Watler Thomas Tipper is on the Atherstone Memorial. He was KIA 14 - 16th September 1916 as a member of 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards. He is on the Atherstone Casualty list, which is on an earlier post. I have his death plaque and British War Medal.

Thanks

Dave he also has an obituary in the Tamworth Herald 7/10/1916 P8(4), I will have a look when I go to Tamworth later on this/next week.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Have just come across a photo of Pte R Charnell 3rd Worcs Regt who is from Atherstone ans was wounded, photo came from a bham newspaper, i see that there are three Charnells on the Atherstone War Memorial, could he be related.

kevan

post-3604-058743600 1282061983.jpg

post-3604-027458800 1282061993.jpg

Dave.

Notice of death from the Tamworth Herald 7/10/1916 P5(4).

Killed.

Private Walter Thomas Tipper (20), of the Grenadier Guards, elder son of Mr. and Mrs. W.T. Tipper, of Willday's Terrace, Atherstone, was killed in action on September 14.

Alan

Kevin,

I checked the Tamworth Herald, but only found one entry for any of the Charnels,and it was not R. Charnell. The 1901 census for Atherstone would be your best bet at a possible link of the men.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much for the Tipper entry Alan. Sorry for the late reply, I've been away. I'm assuming there was no photo of him?

Dave

Walter T Tipper (born 4th Qtr 1887) is shown in 1891 and 1901 Census Returns as living with his maternal Payne grandparents (looks as if granpa died before 1901).

Intriguingly, and rather sweet, a Walter T Tipper birth is recorded in 2nd Qtr 1918 with his mothers maiden name recorded as Wood.

The 1881 Census has a Walter Thomas Tipper born about 1861, presumably the father of your casualty, making 3 generations of W T Tippers. I wonder if there is still a Tipper family in the area?

Sorry, Alan, No, North of Watford needs a passport, doesn't it??? I Googled, Did It Myself lol!!

But is there a family connection?? Nice that the name lives on.

• 3 years later...

I think we be nearing completion. on this subject.

Many years ago, the vicar of St Mary's Atherstone and the local branch of the ex-servicemans club had a bit of a head to head as a result of the Legion being prevented from parading into church, no flags etc. and on one infamous occasion, the vicar even removed a union flag which was draped over a coffin entering the church for a burial service. Needless to say the ex-service men men were miffed, and held a grudge. When the local ex-service mens club finally closed its doors, serveral items from the club, which would normally have gone to the church, were handed to the Friends of Atherstone heritage society for safe keeping and put into their warehouse.

Now, in the 100th anniversary of the begining of the Great war, and with a grant from the Gov, several of these items have been put on display at an exhibition in the societies centre.

One of these items is a photo album containing all the original photos previously displayed on that still elusive memorial board (as well as being used in the local paper announcing the mens deaths), and all the photos are named. The photos have also been enlarged and re-touched, and are included in a memorial display in St. Mary's church Atherstone. Worth a visit if you are in the area, especially if you want some faces to add to those data bases.

Alan