Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Btn Royal Irish Fusiliers

ragnorak72

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had the War Diary for the the 7th Btn Royal Irish Fusiliers or if anyone could tell me what the Btn was doing on 7th June 1917?

Ragnorak

This was the Battle of Messines and the mines went bang ! According to the Long Long Trail the 16th Irish Division, of which 7RIF was a member of 49 Brigade,is down as capturing Wytschaete on the 7 June 1917.

I can't access the Catalogue at Kew for the moment but you can get the War Diary ref from there,in the WO95 series,and can download a small portion of 10 pages for a fee of 8.50. That could equate to the whole of June 1917 !

Sotonmate

Ragnorak

This was the Battle of Messines and the mines went bang ! According to the Long Long Trail the 16th Irish Division, of which 7RIF was a member of 49 Brigade,is down as capturing Wytschaete on the 7 June 1917.

I can't access the Catalogue at Kew for the moment but you can get the War Diary ref from there,in the WO95 series,and can download a small portion of 10 pages for a fee of 8.50. That could equate to the whole of June 1917 !

Sotonmate

Thanks for the info. I'll have to visit the National Archives site. I haven't been at the site for ages as to be honest the last time I did visit it, I thought it was rubish and couldn't access any information on-line. Hopefully it has improved.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to visit the National Archives site. I haven't been at the site for ages as to be honest the last time I did visit it, I thought it was rubish and couldn't access any information on-line. Hopefully it has improved.

Funny you should say that. I spent last Thursday at NA, and thought it was like wading through treacle. By the end of the day, you're an expert! But it takes forever to get there.

Extract from 7th Bn Diary

Thanks very much Andy. Thats the info I was after.

• 15 years later...

Hope it’s ok if I jump on this thread….

Can anyone tell me what the 7th were up to on the 10th April 1916? 

They appear to have had 4 killed on this day, 3 of which have graves. But this chap doesn’t? Curious to know if the war diary gives any hint as to what happened to him? 

His death also wasn’t formally acknowledged until a year later? 

4B668A6F-F4E3-43FF-B1CA-665149DD6694.jpeg

Edited by Laird of Camster

• Admin

War diary here, free to download after registration, also free. PS, should you require a photo, I may be able to oblige in a couple of weeks. 

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352886

34 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

War diary here, free to download after registration, also free. PS, should you require a photo, I may be able to oblige in a couple of weeks. 

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352886

Thanks Michelle. I wasn’t aware you could download them for free!!!

Have read the entry for the 10th April 1916.

Makes no mention of losing 4 chaps!!

It actually says marched to brigade reserve without anything untoward happening????!!!!!

Edited by Laird of Camster