Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Alec McCudden

192 Training Squadron 1917/18

Alec McCudden

I am looking for details of 192 Training squadron. I bought an old photograph album which includes some photos of blokes around FE2Bs in the snow. One comment on the reverse of a picture indicates one pilots name was Freeman and he was killed. I think he was Henry Freeman, killed in UK in January 1918.

I'm curious to know where (and when. How can I find out when snow fell that year?)in the uk these pictures were taken and any details of personnel in or around December 1917/January 1918. If I owned a scanner I would try and include the photographs!

Thanks in advance for your help

Alec

Dolphin

Alec

I missed your post until now.

2Lt Henry Percival Freeman (formerly 19th Canadian Infantry) and 2Lt Claude Eugene Rooke (formerly 3rd King's Own Scottish Borderers) of No 192 (Night) Training Squadron were killed while flying in FE2b 4279 on 21 January 1918. Lt Freeman was a native of Willesden, Middlesex; he was cremated at Golders Green Cemetery. Lt Rooke was from Liverpool, Lancashire, and is buried at Toxteth Park, Lancashire.

I hope this helps.

Alec McCudden

Thanks for that Dolphin.

Do you have information on 192 Training Squadron?

Alec

Dolphin

Alec

Not very much, I'm afraid. No 192 (Night) Training Squadron was formed at Gainsborough on 5 December 1917 with FE2b and FE2d aircraft. It later moved to Newmarket and stayed there until disbanded in December 1918.

I hope this helps.