Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Serre Road Number 2

Peter Woodger

Hi

The CWGC workmen have removed the shrubs from the wall at the top of Serre Road Number 2. It looks as if that wall was designed for commemorative panels. Does anyone know if it was intended as an overflow for Thiepval or an alternative to Pozieres or some other commemoration?

Peter

post-14342-1211793187.jpg

Peter, you may have seen I speculated about this in Walking The Somme. I recently discovered that a 'Gommecourt & Ancre' memorial was planned, but the location was not specified. Perhaps it was meant for here?

Terry

My wording was loose, I did not expect that anything was about to happen but wondered if anything was planned at the design stage.

Paul

It would certainly be a possible site for a Gommecourt/Ancre memorial, I have to own up to not remembering it in Walking The Somme, I shall enjoy rereading it again.

Peter

Peter

I have made an enquiry with the appropriate people. I'll relay the reply when it comes after the holiday.

I'm no expert but I would have thought that the wall would have been constructed with panels if it had been intended as a memorial.

Regards to all

John

John

If it was to be a memorial the panels would have been fixed on separately so that when they showed wear they could be removed and replaced without damaging the wall.

Peter

Peter,

thanks for that, it would make sense to make them a separate part of the construction but when you look at say the Pozieres memorial the panels look like they are an integral part of the main walls.

Regards

John

The Arras Memorial is built in 'blocks' which the names are carved in to. There are no panels such as there are on Tyne Cot etc

Heard back from CWGC.

It is not a memorial in preparation. It is simply horticultural work. The old stuff needed clearing out prior to replanting.

Terry

We are at cross purposes, I realised that the on going work was to replace old Shrubs. Seeing the exposed wall I thought it strange that Lutyens designed a very large wall just to finish off the cemetery. My question was :-

At the time of the design was there a plan to make a memorial there or keep it as an overflow for one of the existing ones. I had always thought that the IWGC was very cost sensitive and would not have built such a structure just for decoration.

Peter