Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4 brothers killed in action

Guest alt

I am searching for information about 4 brothers killed in WW1. The family name is Williams although this may be an adopted name as it is thought that they migrated from a Scandinavian country to England and then Australia and changed the name along the way. Three of the brothers Thomas, Carl (possibly Charles) and Christopher (Christie) apparently fought in the Boer War and enlisted in the British Army for WW1, the other half-brother Jack enlisted in the AIF. I have checked all of the obvious sources such as CWGC and Australian War Memorial databases but with no success. There apparently was an article in an Australian Army publication after WW1 according to family tradition.

Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

Alt

I know how frustrated you may feel with this search. I along with many of the forum members will have come against this problem at some point in our varying degree of searches. I am sure there will be someone who can help. I'm no expert but the Boer War documents may be the best option, again someone in the forum will point you in the right direction. If you can find the write up in the Australian Army publication after WW1 this would be invaluable.

I dont want to take this off topic. I also have on my own database 4 brothers who all died in ww1 and who have no known grave. All these men came from my village of Rankinston in East Ayrshire, Scotland.

I still havent got all the details i need. They came from a family of 9 Brothers and 1 sister. They are listed below.

Donald Sloan.

Son of Mr & Mrs John Sloan, 217/218 Rankinston.

Born. Coylton, Ayrshire, Scotland.

Enlisted. Glasgow, Renfrewshire, Scotland.

Resided. Rankinston, Ayrshire, Scotland.

Private S/9311

8th Battalion Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)

Killed in Action on Monday the 1st January, 1917.

Cemetery: FAUBOURG D'AMIENS CEMETERY, ARRAS, Pas de Calais, France.

Panel Number: III. A. 32.

Robert T Sloan.

Born. 17th October 1895 in Coylton, Ayrshire, Scotland.

Enlisted. 22nd September 1914 at Valcartier, Canada. (Unable to decipher the place of enlistment) Aged 19 years and 10 months.

Resided. Unknown

Previously served 1 year in the Territorial Force of the Royal Scots Fusiliers

Previous employment. Motor Man. (Mechanic)

Private 20372

10th Battalion, Canadian Infantry (Alberta Regt.)

Died on Thursday, 22nd April 1915. France and Flanders.

Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL, Ieper, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium

Panel Number: Panel 24 - 28 – 30

Thomas Sloan.

Born. Coylton, Ayrshire, Scotland.

Enlisted. Fauldhouse, Ayrshire, Scotland.

Resided. Rankinston, Ayrshire, Scotland.

Private 13536

1st Battalion, Scots Guards

Killed in Action on Friday, 15th September 1916, France and Flanders.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL, Somme, France.

Panel Number: Pier and Face 7 D.

William Sloan.

Born. 1893 in Coylton, Ayrshire, Scotland.

Enlisted. 6th February 1915 at Puncher Creek, Canada. (Unable to decipher the place of enlistment) Aged 22 and 10 months.

Resided. Unknown.

Previous employment. Miner

Sapper 503460

2nd Tunnelling Coy, Canadian Engineers

Who died on Wednesday, 28th June, 1916. France and Flanders

Cemetery: RAILWAY DUGOUTS BURIAL GROUND, Ieper, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium

Panel Number: VI. H. 18.

Good Luck

Regards

James

• 10 years later...

I would have thought that a family who lost multiple members in the great war may have had some sort of write up in the local paper. However I have hunted for notifications of three brothers from the Newton Stewart Wigtonshire area with not much sucess ,here are the details and their medals . Can Anyone advise on where to look ,I have tried the newspapers online ,FInd my Past ,Ancestry.

1914/15 Star Trio and Memorial Plaque awarded to 12125 Pte George Griffin 2nd Scots Guards KIA on 16th May 1915

His Brothers Medals

1914/15 Star Trio and Memorial Plaque awarded to S/5953 Pte Robert Alexander Griffin 7th Royal Highlanders who was KIA on 31July 1917

His Brothers Medals

British War and Victory Medals awarded to Spts - 4614 Pte John Griffin 20th Royal Fusiliers who was KIA on 22 May 1917

They were the sons on John and Maggie Griffin of Bladnoch Penninghame Wigton