The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

unidentified badge

nemesis

Can anyone help id this collar dog size badge it looks to be made of silver

post-3477-1211746370.jpg

post-3477-1211746397.jpg

Looks to be Masonic?Fraternal? or even possibly Nursing???

Intereting mix of emblems, St Andrews cross with a queens crown but what on earth is that horn on top? Is this an OTC sporran badge, shoulder title?

Rob

Wouldn't the pin back indicate thats its a brooch rather than an item of military wear. A sweetheart or a clan badge.

Mick

Not really - pin backs are found on a variety of so-called 'bonnet badges', the idea being that the pin was required to go through the ribbons etc on the Scots head-dress. Whether this was official or a modification I'm not sure.

Cheers

Peter

It isn't a bonnet badge though, its collar badge sized.

Mick

I must admit that my first thought was that the top part represented a multi-limbed Indian deity.

but sitting on what - actually Atholl etc made me think of a ducal coronet - though clearly different to what PB shows

The crown on the saltire does not look like a standard Victorian one, more ... European ???

then I remembered that St Andrew is (was) also the patron saint of Russia ... !

(but still no idea about the top part ......

yes I agree, looks more like a brooch

I think its a stags head seen from above (with slight squint and eyes closed. The viewer that is, not the stag)

mick

The crown looks like the Queen's crown (Victoria) .Canadian plaid brooch maybe ?

Chris

If it helps I got the unidentified badge with a silver hallmarked RAMC badge which was also collar dog size

It is the 'crest' which is weird. I wonder if it would be worth contacting the Lord Lyon King at Arms-Scotland's heraldic authority to see if he or one of his pursuivants can help identify it? I wondered if it was a tree trunk -but if it is it looks as if it has coat hooks on it rather than branches-another thought is a candelabra with 5 points.

Greg

A quick Google turns up the achievement of the Air family: Argent a chevron between three quatrefoils. Crest the stump of an oak sprouting out new branches ppr. from Thomas Robson the British Herald 1830. Blazon does not make sense- it does not seem complete but the strange device could be a sprouting oak stump.

Greg

A quick Google turns up the achievement of the Air family: Argent a chevron between three quatrefoils. Crest the stump of an oak sprouting out new branches ppr. from Thomas Robson the British Herald 1830. Blazon does not make sense- it does not seem complete but the strange device could be a sprouting oak stump.

Greg

I have looked up Clan badges /crests and Celtic symbols with no luck ,its a bit complicated to be pipe band based , so it may be something similar to the Atholl Highlanders. Its not the local university OTC (St Andrews) .

Can anyone help id this collar dog size badge it looks to be made of silver

The make up, construction, appearance and style of the badge is wholly unlike the British Army norm and I do not believe it is a badge ever issued by the War Department.

The top device looks more like a spider (without the usual number of legs..) - the head facing downwards with 'feelers' (palps)!

Ian

The top device looks more like a spider (without the usual number of legs..) - the head facing downwards with 'feelers' (palps)!

Ian

Thanks to all who have assisted in this

Thanks to all who have assisted in this

I am told that this may be Canadian, Anyone got a similar view

I am told that this may be Canadian, Anyone got a similar view

As an act of desperation, could it be Victorian, Indian Army.

There was a mix of Indian and British design among some of the Indian badges.

Maybe the X is a Roman numeral rather than a St Andrews cross - making it the 10th something or other?

• 8 years later...
On 26 May 2008 at 09:41, pbrydon said:

I wonder if there could be some connection with the Atholl Highlanders ?

P.B.

DSCF6685.JPG

You were correct. Its the Athol Highlanders. Thanks to all who assisted

Cor! 8 years on to finally identify!

I was too young (ahem!) the first time round, so how did the identification come about?

I can't see the resemblance to the Atholl bare breasted female and the device in your initial posting....

Aren't there too many arms - Kali sept of the Atholl Highlanders?

47 minutes ago, KevinBattle said:

Cor! 8 years on to finally identify!

I was too young (ahem!) the first time round, so how did the identification come about?

I can't see the resemblance to the Atholl bare breasted female and the device in your initial posting....

Aren't there too many arms - Kali sept of the Atholl Highlanders?

How it came about was that I was watching an old edition of the antiques roadshow from Blair Castle and there was a clip of the Athol highlanders being inspected .thats when I spotted the badge