Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11371 or 15362

Guest KevinEndon

You will need to send me your e-mail if you require Thomas Docherty's papers ...there are quite a few ..he seems to have discharged 1916 as unfit to serve due to heart murmur but then gone on to serve in France being dischargd only in 1918 as having a heart murmur...how did he work in a steel works with this problem.He must have died shortly after returning to be on your War Memorial.

Guest KevinEndon

post-11197-1211920229.jpg

I can only find this one mic for him, nothing for his Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. As you see he wasn't entitled to any medals, but he served in France. I am baffled.

Kevin

I can only find this one mic for him, nothing for his Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

Here is his A&SH MIC ('T' mis-transcribed as 'J' on index):

post-6340-1211930581.jpg

Still no sign of any medal entitlement.

Stuart

Guest KevinEndon

Thank you Stuart. They made the men tough in those days.

He joined up with a heart problem on the 13th October 1916 and was discharged on the 24th November 1916 and was given a silver war badge. By hook or by crook he re-enlisted on the 28th April 1917 and again discharged on the 5th June 1918. I wonder if he had 2 silver war badges. There is a lot more info on this man to tell, fingers crossed all will be come to the fore.

Kevin

.... he wasn't entitled to any medals, but he served in France. I am baffled.

Hi Kevin,

I don't think this man ever served overseas. On a couple of occasions, his papers state that he was Home Service only for the duration 28th April 1917 to 5th June 1918. It looks as though the two MICs you have will be the full set for this soldier. He must have died after his discharge.

All the best,

Stuart

Can you tell me please why this man has a medal index card but is not entitled to any medals.

Many thanks

Doug II

I have e-mailed Thomas Docherty's papers hope they help with your Quest.

I think the other better informed members may have been right that he did not serve abroad I may have confused one of his numerous postings with service overseas but he seems to have had a varied time none the less.

Guest KevinEndon

Hi Caroline, I have received your emails and thanks for your time and help to get these.

Fingers crossed the mic to Barbour gives me a new route to go down.

Kevin

Guest KevinEndon

I have been on the phone to a researcher from Scotland today who knows the ins and outs of the Scottish peoples website.

Thomas Docherty died on the 22nd January 1919. He died of valvular (spelling) disease of the heart.

Thanks to Caroline and co for their input into finding this soldier for me. A Kilbirnie man brought in from the cold.

Kevin