Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11371 or 15362

Guest KevinEndon

Guest KevinEndon

Can a pal have a look to see if either 11371 Sjt Quinn RSF or 15362 Sjt Quinn have a link to Kilbirnie or Glengarnock please.

tia

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I am assuming you are after the SDGW info?

Name: William Quinn

Number: 11371

Regt etc: Royal Scots Fusiliers

Batt etc: 6th Battalion

Born: Johnstone, Renfrewshire

Enlisted: Kilmarnock, Ayrshire

Residence: Johnstone

Died Date: 26 Sept 15

Died How: Died

Theatre: France & Flanders

Name: William James Quinn

Number: 15362

Regt etc: Royal Scots Fusiliers

Batt etc: 6th Battalion

Born: Ardee, Co. Louth

Enlisted: Ayr

Died Date: 20 Feb 16

Died How: Died of wounds

Theatre: France & Flanders

Doug

Guest KevinEndon

Cheers Doug, the info on SDGW shows that the two soldiers could easily have came from Kilbirnie as Johnstone and Ayr are nearly the same distance apart. I cannot get on ancestry to see if their papers still exist to either prove they have no or not have a connection with Kilbirnie or Glengarnock.

Kevin

Hi Kevin

at this time there are no service records on Ancestry for either man.

Here are the MICS:

post-23198-1211719891.jpg

post-23198-1211719968.jpg

Doug

Guest KevinEndon

Cheers Doug, the dead end is still dead. Many thanks for your help though. Notice how both men sailed on the same day, same rank, both died, both the same regiment. There is no way I can say which one is the bloke I am after.

I am stuck on 4 men from Kilbirnie, Quinn being one of them. I guess I will have to wait until the 1911 census comes out.

Kevin

Ancestry have still not loaded all the service records so with a bit of luck you may not have to wait for the 1911 census.

I bet their mail got mixed up though.

Doug

Kevin, Scotland census 1901 WILLIAM QUINN birthplace GLENGARNOCK civil parish KILBIRNIE born 1899

The only WILLIAM J QUINN on the site was born in 1866, obviously not your man. Cannot see any other Willam Quinns with this birthplace/civil parish) Any help ? Ralph.

Edit: Just noticed the other lad came from Ardee Co Louth so he wont appear in Scotlands census, silly me.

Guest KevinEndon

Ralph, we are onto something with the top man born 1899, thats almost sure to be the man. He is on the Glengarnock steelworkers memorial, the Auld Kirk memorial and the Civic memorial.

Can we take that out of 2 sjts one would not appear on the Scottish census therefore the only other one can be the one I am after or am I jumping the gun a little.

Kevin

Kevin, If it was one of mine I was searching I would stop searching, 99.99% certain its yer man. Ralph.

Guest KevinEndon

Thank you Doug and Ralph and of course Geoff501, if 99.9% is good enough for Ralph then its good enough for me. Is everyone else who has been following this tread in agreement.

Kevin

Kevin, Thanks for the confidence in my supposition, if you look at the facts it has to be him. 1) W J Quinn was born in Ireland, only enlisted in Ayr, probably working there. 2) W Quinn was born and lived in the same place, the fact that Ayr and Johnstone are of similar distances apart is I am sure a complete coincidence. 3) Rechecked:- NO other Quinn with a Kilbirnie/Glengarnock connection other than William. Regards Ralph.

Well done Ralph. You can't argue with the facts Kevin, it's got to be your man.

Llew.

Guest KevinEndon

He is down as found, that now leaves me 3 men to bring in

Quinn was down as a private and not Serjeant, so the following info imay not 100% correct the forename and the regiment may well be wrong.

Pte JOHN BARBOUR RSF

Pte ANDREW BOYCE Royal Scots

and

Pte THOMAS DOCHERTY Royal Engineers.

fingers crossed

Kevin

Kevin, I take it that these lads have Kilbirnie/Glengarnock connections ? there is an ANDREW BOYCE on Scotland Census born 1897 in DALRY AYRSHIRE not too far away ? son of Charles and Janet . Just a guess. Ralph.

Guest KevinEndon

That is looking good Ralph but I cant find an Andrew Boyce of any regiment on SDGW or CWGC. Geoffs search engine is drawing a blank so where do we go next.

Kevin

Hm,

There is however an Andrew Boyle, Private, 22667 on SDGW though there does not appear to be a Kilbirnie/Glengarnock connection. I wonder if it could be a wrong name on the memorial?

Doug

Edit: His service record has him born Kilmarnock, Ayr, Occupation Miner, Examined at Musselburgh? There is also mention of Glencorse.

Guest KevinEndon

I doubt if its an error as the war memorial to the steelworkers in Glengarnock has Andrew Boyce Royal Scots on it as well, surely 2 memorials would not have the same error.

Kevin

Two Thomas Docherty's show up on Ancestry as Royal Engineers although there a lot of others so may have missed someone

Thomas James Docherty

Royal Engineers

Number:

248 Stobeross Street, Anderston, Glasgow

MIC

Served 25/09/15

Discharged 27/09/16

This therefore does not appear to be your man

Thomas Docherty

Royal Engineers

Number 61236

no address

MIC

served Eygpt 25/09/15

Will have a look at Census for 1901 and see if any help

1901 Census

Thomas Docherty

Age 9

abt 1892

son

Father William

Mother Annie

Where born Stevenson Ayrshire

Registration Number 615

Registration District Stevenson

Civil Parish Stevenson

County

Ayrshire

Address Burnbank St

Occupation Scholar

ED 4

Household Schedule number 215

Line 1

Roll CSSCT1901-237

Annie 43

Annie 12

Ellen 7

Margaret 14

William 47 coal miner

William 18

First detail from Ayrshire

2nd detail from 1901 Census

Born in Ayrshire but moved away

Thomas Docherty

Age 5

abt 1896

Son

Father William

Mother Helen

Gender Male

Where born Maybole, Ayrshire

Registration Number 644/11

Civil Parish Glasgow govan

LanarkshireAddress 62 So Wellington St

Ed 36

Household Schedule 90

Line 13

Roll CSSCT1901_309

Ellen 3

Helen 33

Jeanie 9

Robert 8

William 32 Insurance Agent

William 10

Lodger Thomas Sloan

Final Ayrshire Thomas Docherty

Age 3

Son

Father John

Mother Elizabeth

Where born Beith Ayrshire

Reg 587

Reg District Dalry

Civil Parish

Dalry

County Ayrshire

Address Low Auchingree

Ed 12

HousehoSchedule 31

Line 7

Roll CSSCT1901_222

Agnes 9

Elizabeth 39

Elizabeth 14

John 42 Freestone Quarryman

John 12

Rachel 6

I have discounted one other as too old born 1854

Not sure if this is helpful my geography of Ayrshire is somewhat sketchy I have to admit !

Guest KevinEndon

Its number 3. Auchengree is on the outskirts of Kilbirnie. What was his number please.

Well researched Caroline, many thanks for taking the time to help me

Kevin

Kevin, Re Boyce only one on the NA served with the Royal Highlanders no S/14481, on Ancestry with a SWB. Ralph.

Well now we have a new problem as these are the census results for 1901 and now we need to tie one of the Thomas Docherty's war /MIC to him.......I have checked through the "burnt" records on Ancestry...but no Aryshire ones seem to be present ...got side tracked reading about a man who's wife wanted him taken back into the army during the War thought this somewhat unusual! Total red herring!

Now working on Pension records...lots of these have no address on first page ...no regiment...so have to open each and read until address turns up.

ok think I may have him I have Thomas Docherty

Birth Beith Ayrgshire 28/04/1917

address Trades hotel Glengarnock

next of kin Agnes Docherty/-19 Holmhead Kilbirnie

Occupation Steelworker

TF 2/6 Argyll Sutherland

number 6962 or 1262 R313003

seems to have been posted about the place returned after injury to different regiments mentions Sapper Thomas Docherty and Royal Engineers at one point lots of different numbers most crossed out and difficult to read seems to have been wounded 1918 and unfit for service.

I will have to send you the file tomorrow ...not possible at moment ...just hope this one is him