Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Sherwoods

Greenwoodman

Had the privilege of researching in the Vera Brittain archive at McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario on my recent holiday, and ran across this in a letter to Vera from Edward Brittain, who eventually went to 11th Sherwoods. At the time (26/10/15) he was attached to 18th Sherwoods at Freeford Park Camp, Lichfield, having not been one of the officers chosen to go out with 11th Sherwoods (though he trained with them). He was rising to the top of the list to be sent to France and wrote (in a seemingly aggrieved manner) this:- "12 people from the bottom of the list went to the Dardanelles and another three to France last week. Being at the top of the list seems to mean nothing; it is all quite beyond my comprehension".

Just a snippet Steve, but I thought you'd be interested. Its also in "Letters from a Lost Generation". 9th was mentioned again in his letters, and McMaster are sending me a photocopy - let you know when it arrives.

Hello Richard

Many thanks. He was lucky not to go to the Dardenelles! Although by the time they got out there, it was almost time to get off and move to Egypt.

regards

Steve