Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914 Star to the Royal Navy & Royal Marines

rj.hoare

I have just picked up a soft cover book detailing the award of the 1914 Star to the Royal Navy and Royal Marines, consisting of the Medal Rolls to The Royal Navy Battalions; Anson, Benbow, Collingwood, Drake, Hawke, Hood, Howe and Nelson and the Royal Marine Battalions; Chatham, Deal, Plymouth, Portsmouth and RMA as well as the Ambulance Hospital 65, RNAS Armoured Car Section, Armoured Trains, Brigade & Divisional Staff, First British Field Hospital, Machine Gun Parties, Miscellaneous Service, Motor Owner Drivers, Motor Transport Section, Mrs Stobarts Hospital Unit, RNAS, RN Sick Berth Staff (HMS Pembroke) and Transport Staff.

I plan to sell this book on eBay in the near future, but if anyone wants information or the research available on an individual, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will provide whatever information is available :-)

A heads-up as to when your putting it onto Evilbay will be appreciated, or even if you want to sell it privately!

Seph :D

Good book, I looked someone up in my copy last night.

It's a good starting point, with the usual errors that creep into such projects. It is mostly a transcription of ADM 171/139; as well as double checking that roll and ADM 171/195 the 1914 Star: Issue Book too.

Hi Seph, To be honest I did not want to use this forum to sell the book, as I thought that would be either against the rules or "just not the done thing". It really is a fascinating read and I hoped that by selling it on eBay it would go to a researcher or serious collector of all things RN or RM. If you want to make a sensible offer, then I will consider it :rolleyes:

As a Medal Roll, it provides the following; Name & Initials, Rank/Rating, Official Number, Theatre Served, Date 1914 Clasp Issued, Date Medal Sent, Comments.

Amongst the end pages are copies of Fleet Orders - interesting to know that the following units were not entitled to the 1914 Clasp; RN Hospital's at Dunkirk & Ostend, nor RNAS Dunkirk!!

Richard

rj.hoare@ntlworld.com

They were not in range of German mobile artillery.

Oh ok, I had not realised that such criteria existed!

The major error in this otherwise useful book is in the listing for "Deal Detachment RMLI". Deal Battalion RND was formed with men taken from Plymouth, Portsmouth and Chatham Battalions but the listing only shows those men from Plymouth Division RMLI. The Deal men who came from Chatham and Portsmouth Battalions are erroneously listed under their parent Divisions/Battalions. This makes the Deal Battalion ("detachment") look much smaller than the over-sized Portsmouth and Chatham Battalion listings.

• 15 years later...

Time moves on. The Fevyer and Wilson roll is available online via snippet view via Google Books.

As well as accessing the 2012 Fevyer & Wilson roll (a) in part, and free of charge via Google books, or (b) biting the bullet, spending £19.49 on an e-book, or (c) going analogue and sourcing a paper copy, there is also an online roll compiled by John Marshall, as part of his Jack Clegg Memorial research.

It is accessible via
FMP, this "soup" contains all of his rolls
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search- ... and-awards

FWR
https://uk.forceswarrecords.com/publica ... -1914-1918

Fold3
https://www.fold3.com/publication/1279/ ... -1914-1918

It used to be on Ancestry, until they pulled the plug.

One unfortunate consequence is that Ancestry failed to add their WW1 Royal Marine index back, so their Naval medal roll is compromised.

The Royal Marine info can be accessed via the FMP "soup", and FWR/Fold3.

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/co ... -1914-1920

On 09/01/2004 at 23:25, Yorts said:

Hi,

Based on medals I have owned:

[snip]

14 Stars to the RN state the Bn. the man served with (only the RND qualified), but to the RM only state 'RM Brigade'. However, the divisional prefix to a man's service number is a very good guide as to which Bn. he served with (e.g. a man with a CH. prefix indicating Chatham most likely served with Chatham Bn. RND).

[snip]

Rgds,

Alex.

Whilst I could not find any images on the forum, the font of the naming style of the 1914 Stars issued by the Admiralty has a different look to those issued by the War Office to the B.E.F.