Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Batallion Seaforth Highlanders: 22 August 1917

Hedley Malloch

A request for information. Can anyone tell me what the 8th Bn Seaforth Highlanders were doing on 22 August 1917, and in the weeks leading up to that date? I think they were in action somewhere in the Ypres Salient on 22 August, but I am looking for more precise details about their location and any fighting in which they were involved.

Many thanks in advance for all information received.

On the day in question, Hedley (according to "Passchendaele, the Day-by-Day Account" by Chris McCarthy) they went into action on the left of 44 Brigade (15th Division) along with 7th Camerons. Both suffered heavily from machine-gun fire.

From the accompanying map I can see that they went into action from the Pommern Castle position, attacking towards Hill 35, which is the slight rise in the field to the left of the road from Zonnebeke to Langemark, between Dochy Farm Cemetery and "Bombarded Crossroad" - the crossroad where you turn right towards Gravenstafel and Varlet Farm.

Tom,

Excellent information, Tom - just what I wanted. Many thanks.

If there is anyone who knows what they were doing in the days and weeks leading up to 22 August then I would love to hear from them.

Chris McCarthy's book on the Somme seems quite readily available - but Passchendaele Day-by-Day seems like gold dust at the minute. Can we organise a mass lobby for a reprint??

Simon :D

Hedley,

I'm hoping to hit the PRO this Saturday. I need to look at 8th Seaforths war diary sometime - may as well do it sooner rather than later and happy to crack out edited highlights for you. Any specific points ?

Note of caution - if I don't make it this Saturday it might be 2-3 weeks before I get there again.

Jock Bruce

That's very generous of you, Jock. I would be very interested to see a copy of the entry for 22 August 1917. I don't know how detailed or long the diary is, but if you could comb back through August 1917 and copy any information relating to clearly indentifiable places the unit was fighting or resting then that would be very useful.

Of course I would be happy to pay all photocopying and postage charges. If you drp me an email when it is ready then I can send you contact details. Once again, many thanks.

• 10 years later...

Does anyone know what happened to "B" Company. The WD has them advancing, between Iberian and Beck House and being cut off.

I missed the Appendixes, anyone got them? "31" with the casualties

Peter

If you can send me a message with an email address I'll send you the three pages of appendix 31.

Kind regards

Colin

• 3 years later...

Hi Guys,

I'm doing a study of the actions and ground around Frezenberg July - September1917.

At the moment I'm dealing with 44th Brigade, 15th Division in particular the 8th Seaforth Highlanders - I have the TNA diary download, but there is no Appendix (1) and (2) which seem to cover "A full report of the operations from 31st July to 3rd August inclusive is attached as an Appendix".

Does anyone have a copy of the Appendix (1) and (2).

Thanks in advance.