Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd/6th London Regt. (City of London Rifles)

fjwiltshire

My uncle, L/Cpl Huse L.P. Wiltshire No.322429 was reported missing at Bullecourt on 21/5/1917. His company suffered heavy casualties that day.

This was a few days after the major battle and the only reference I've found to events that day described the front around Arras as "quiet but for desultory shelling, most of which fell on Bullecourt."

Can anyone tell me what happened that day?

Also, by checking the names on the Arras memorial, 30th April 1916 was another day the 2/6 suffered heavy casualties.

I'd appreciate any info on the 2/6 history or advice where to search.

TIA Frank Wiltshire

welcome

the day he was reported missing may have been after he actually went missing

he is recorded as killed in action this day

Thanks for your reply. I photographed my uncle's name on the Arras war memorial some years ago. Recently, I checked out the adjacent names and found most of them are recorded as dying that day. It must have been a major event.

Hi Frank, welcome to the forum,

I recently did some research into a soldier ofthe 3/4th Bn London (RF) who was KiA on the 17th May 1917, part of research came from a personal diary, there were a few references to the 2/6th Bn one of which includes the day that your uncle Huse was killed.

Monday 21st May 1917 - 2/6th attacked Bovis Trench (see attatched map)- Boche main line of defence on far side of Bullecourt. Two companies wiped out and total gain in prisoners and ground was nil.

post-15439-1211679204.jpg

I have more notes on Bullecourt and the subsequent fighting, if you'd like a look PM your email address and I'll drop you a copy in your inbox,

cheers, Jon

15 Platoon, D Company, 2/6th City of London Rifles. Difficult to get a decent photograph as the picture is framed. These man are likely to have been at Bullercourt. Two of the men, Rfn 4410- 321872 Leonard King and Sgt 3045-321027 William Harold Jupp were either Killed in Action (Pte King) or Died of Wounds (Sgt Jupp) on 20th May 1917. Pte Leonard King is commemorated on the Arras Memorial, whilst Sgt William Jupp is buried in the Aichet-Le-Grand Communal Cemetery Extension.

post-6480-1211721819.jpg

Hej Frank

According to 'The Cast Iron Sixth' by Capt. E.G. Godfrey M.C. pages 118-123 the battle for Bovis Trench was the first major battle for the 2nd Bn.

Essentially only two companies were involved (A and B), although D Company was involved in a flanking patrol and one platoon of C Company protected the left flank.

A and B companies had severe casualties at the onset and lost most of its officers.

There is a great deal of uncertainty if the Bovis Trench was reached, or not, as all ground markers had been obliterated by artillery fire, in the period up to the attack. In addition the Germans reportedly withdrew to second-line trenches/foxholes and fired upon the Bn from there.

The Bn lost 13 officers and 226 other ranks killed, wounded, or missing in the Bullecourt area.

In the COs final report (page 122) he writes:

"Of the 111 men reported missing, four have since reported, and evidence points to the fact that the remainder were either killed or so severely wounded as to be unable to get back to our lines. Of eleven officers who went over only three have returned all of the wounded."

The attack was a failure, and the Bn had been reduced in numbers by 50%.

The book mentions the existence of an 'aeroplane photograph' of the area taken some time before the attack.

It would be nice to see this photograph.

Your uncle is mentioned in the 'In Memorian' section of the book.

On page 129 of the book are mentioned the Bn officers, warrant officers and section commanders.

Cheers, Steen

Gentlemen,

Thankyou all for your replies and PMs which have enlightened me to the tragic circumstances of my uncle's death. I was born long after the event to a father in his 50s and no stories passed down the family to me.

Well, on the surface it sounds like an ill-conceived venture based on faulty intelligence, vis to capture an already destroyed trench with inexperienced troops who, when unable to identify their objective, blunder on too far, without support, risking encirclement, to their eventual annihilation.

I have ordered a copy of The Cast Iron Sixth, air mail it should reach me here in Melbourne in a week or so, and together with other books and websites I will educate myself on the whole Bullecourt event.

After that I will have many more questions to ask and trust you can help me further.

Frank

15 Platoon, D Company, 2/6th City of London Rifles. Difficult to get a decent photograph as the picture is framed. These man are likely to have been at Bullercourt. Two of the men, Rfn 4410- 321872 Leonard King and Sgt 3045-321027 William Harold Jupp were either Killed in Action (Pte King) or Died of Wounds (Sgt Jupp) on 20th May 1917. Pte Leonard King is commemorated on the Arras Memorial, whilst Sgt William Jupp is buried in the Aichet-Le-Grand Communal Cemetery Extension.

High Wood - great photograph. Does the name R. Thompson (possibly R. Fenn) appear at the bottom? He was a relative of ours and we have only just discovered that he was in 2nd/6th bn London Regiment and died on 21/5/1917.

Thanks

Castanet,

I am sorry about the late reply. Neither the Thompson or Fenn appear in the photograph which is of 15 Platoon, D Coy.

The men in the photograph are:

4397 Herbert H Defries.

322939 Kenneth J Simons.

4243-321758 James Teahen. DoW 30-9-1917.

4431 William Alfred Boseley.

4376 Albert J Newman.

5266-322458 Edward Allen.

5140- 323346 Albert George Waight. DoW 26-4-1918.

5147 Henry J Ardley.

4389-321859 Walter Butcher. KiA 4-4-1918.

5194-322395 Richard Joseph Aulert.

4410-321872 Leonard King. KiA 20-5-1917.

5275-322467 Ernest Pellett.

5192-322394 Arthur william Baker.

5142-322348 Robert Frederick Lindsay. kiA 17-6-1917.

L Bagnall

2436-320688 Frederick W Aldridge.

5104-322317 Harry Horace Hann.

5284-322475 William Henry Bevan.

4268-321772 George Cyril Sumpter.

2326-320630 Charles Frederick Dickson.

2350-320640 Charles Edward Bianchi.

2nd Lieut H Smart.

3045-321027 William Harold Jupp. DoW 20-5-1917.

2417-320677 Frank henry Charles Stiles.

C Heidenrich.

320726 C A Kilner.

5109 Samuel Koski.

5267-322459 Henry George Reynolds.

6967-323740 Arthur Frost.

5126-322333 Christopher George Carle.

4302-321797 Raymond Delahaye.

4148-321697 Reginald William Park.

4439-321895 William Henry Norrington.

5143-322349 Alfred Charles Christian.

Guest Ian Pearce

[

post-35228-1213094050.jpg

Highwood

A very interesting photo.

My Great Uncle John Odell Pearce Rfm 321906, was in 2/6th City of London Rifles, 15 platoon, 2 section D company 1915 at Ipswich.

He was at Sutton Veny 1916 till they went to France Jan 1917 I do not know his platoon at that time. He died of wounds 27/2/1917 and is buried at Warlincourt Halte, Saulty. my photo was taken at Sutton Veny camp, John is the middle man back row.

Ian.

As youve mentioned the 2/6th London reg in 1915......... In August 1915 they were along with 2/7th at Moor place in Much Hadham,Hertfordshire for a while~ During this time a 'Joshua Cooper age 21 of the 2/6th was accused of stealing £20 from the YMCA tent at the camp. He was found guilty and sentenced to 3 months Hard labour!!..... I wonder if he is one of the guys in the photo!!

Ian,

I am not sure when my photograph dates from exactly but on checking the names against the medal rolls most of the men in the photograph appear to have disembarked in France on 26th January 1917. They were at Sutton Veny from July 1916 so the the picture must date from between July 1916 to January 1917.

Your photograph is superb. Interesting to note that they are posing with their entrenching tools.

Simon.

Guest Ian Pearce

I have about 20 letters that he wrote to his mother between June 1915 and Feb 1917.

July 1915 he is at lodgings 176 Cemetery Road Ipswich. Oct 1915 he writes from Ispwich but mentions Bethesden Chapel and Rushmore Heath. Nov 1915 he's billeted with a Mr and Mrs Wright at Stowmarket, Mr Wright worked in a local cordite factory.

He is still at Ispwich April 1916 involved with invasion defence preparations.

The last letter was writen the day he was wounded, was found in his tunic in the casualty clearing station after his death was sent on to his mother.

Ian.

• 3 years later...

High Wood,

I have attempted to send you a PM regarding the photo you have posted above, of the 2/6th City of London Bn, but it seems your Inbox may be full.

Pictured in that photo is a relative of mine, Robert Frederick Lindsey. This is the first time I have ever seen a photo of Robert, and you can imagine how absolutely blown away I am to discover that a photo of him exists.

Since I am unable to contact you privately via a PM, I wonder if you would be kind enough to PM me, as and when you read this post, please?

With thanks,

High Wood,

I have attempted to send you a PM regarding the photo you have posted above, of the 2/6th City of London Bn, but it seems your Inbox may be full.

Pictured in that photo is a relative of mine, Robert Frederick Lindsey. This is the first time I have ever seen a photo of Robert, and you can imagine how absolutely blown away I am to discover that a photo of him exists.

Since I am unable to contact you privately via a PM, I wonder if you would be kind enough to PM me, as and when you read this post, please?

With thanks,

Peter,

no problem, I will be happy to send you an photograph of your relative. I will take a photograph tomorrow during daylight as I am off to work now.

Simon.

Peter,

no problem, I will be happy to send you an photograph of your relative. I will take a photograph tomorrow during daylight as I am off to work now.

Simon.

Simon,

Absolutely superb. Many thanks indeed.

Robert is listed in the 6th City of London Battalion Book of Remembrance, on display at the church of St. Sepulchre-without-Newgate, City of London. Perhaps members may be interested in some photos of the memorial:

6thMemorial1.jpg

6thMemorial2.jpg

6thMemorial3.jpg

The book of remembrance at St. Sepulchre's, is turned to a new page every day, and the names read aloud, followed by a short prayer.

Regards to all,

• 2 years later...

In relation to William Harold Jupp (mentioned quite a way above), he was on the Roll of Honour at St. Paul's Church in Harringay, North London, along with his four brothers who also served (in other regiments) - the church burnt down in 1984, but we've been piecing together info on the soldiers from the Parish Magazines, which are in the London Metropolitan Archives. His burial details mention that he was awarded the French Médaille Militaire. Many thanks for the battalion memorial info - I'll be paying a visit to St. Sepulchre to have a look.

Guest emma28vale

[uote name=high wood" post="926966" timestamp="1211721825]

My great grandad was in the photo that you put up his name is Samuel koski, how did you get the photo and do you know anymore about him or his time in the war, also his brother Ruben was in the war but i don't know what rev i know he was gassed

• 2 years later...

Just like to say thanks for the above as have spotted my maternal grandfather George Cyril Sumpter's name above and have just started looking into his service, he survived but was wounded  out.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got a photo of men at Sutton Veney included is my maternal grandfather G S Sumter who features in the above photo.  For interest also a photo of him with others. Both photos are on postcards.  Hope this helps others looking at 2nd/6th C of L Rifles.

GCS004.jpg

GCS003.jpg

• 1 year later...

I am researching Sgt Sydney John (Jack) Wale of the 2nd/6th ( City of London) Bttn Rifles who died on 21st May 1917 at Bullecourt. He was a student at Winchester Training College before starting his teaching career in London. I don’t know unfortunately which company he was in but I’m very interested in the photos posted on this thread. 

Dee, will look into who took the photos, which my sister has, the EO Reynolds one I think is like a postcard but as she emailed them have not seen the backs, will let you have further info when I can.