Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/17 London Regiment - L. Cpl. G.F. Scarsbrook 570177

oldmisog

I have just inherited some medals that belonged to my late grandfather who served with 1/17th London Regiment in France from 9th March 1915. His name was Lance Corporal George Frederick Scarsbrook and he was born in Bethnal Green in 1895 and survived both subsequent wars.

The medals I now have include the Military Medal which was awarded to him in 1916 but I have no idea of the exact date, the citation or the circumstances. All I know is that the Military Medal was a bravery award for NCOs. He never spoke about the war and even my mother was unaware that he held the MM.

Can anyone please tell me - was the Military Medal a rare award in WW1 and how would I find out more about my grandfather's military exploits?

Many thanks in advance to anyone with information.

Welcome to the forum.

Your Grandfather's MM was listed in the London Gazette #30424, 12 December 1917.

570177 L./C. G. F. Scarsbrook, Lond. R. (Bethnal Green).

Link to the Gazette is Here

MMs were published in the Gazette without citations, so the reason for the award will need to be looked for elsewhere. As a very general rule of thumb the listing in the Gazette was about two to three months after the 'event' for which it was awarded.

Steve

His Medal Index Card is available online. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to have been loaded on the Ancestry website as yet and is only available on the NA site where it costs £3.50 to download.

Medal card of Scarsbrook, George F

Corps Regiment No Rank

London Regiment 1548 Private

London Regiment 570177 Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/17

Link is Here

Steve

Welcome to the forum jjb,

there are 2 Medal Index Cards (MIC) to George held at the National Archives 1st and 2nd

If you have membership to Ancestry.com they are available to view without further cost, a forum pal may look these up if you don't have access.

Here's a little info on the Poplar and Stepney Rifles

cheers, Jon

Your grandfather was recognized for valor by HMG. The Military Cross and Military Medal are equivalent to the Silver Star in America, which is the third highest valor decoration our country has. Your grandfather was a war hero.

My step-grandfather was in the 17th London as well.

As SteveE said his MIC is not as yet loaded onto Ancestry. Nor does he appear in the pension or service records on Ancestry.

Only some 40% of the pension records remain after WWII destruction and Ancestry have not yet completed scanning of the MICS and service records.

Doug

Thank you all so much for your kind help and advice. I found my grandfather's medal card online but this seems to cover just his regular campaign medals and not eh MM. I will certainly do some more research.

Pete - I was truly humbled and emotional after reading your kind words.

Your grandfather was recognized for valor by HMG. The Military Cross and Military Medal are equivalent to the Silver Star in America, which is the third highest valor decoration our country has. Your grandfather was a war hero.

My step-grandfather was in the 17th London as well.

No, just the first one which I think was for campaign medals. If I download the second one will that show any more detail than is given in the London Gazette?

As all my respondents seem to agree that my grandfather's MM details have not been released to the internet does this mean there is no other way for me to discover why he was awarded the MM? Could I go to a records office in the UK somewhere to get this information?

Thanks again for your help.

John

jjb, did you look at both cards?

Jon

John, it may be worth downloading the other copy too. I've got some literature on the 1/17th, if your interested PM me your email address and I'll drop you a copy,

cheers, Jon

Thanks Jon, I would really appreciate seeing your information. My email address is jjb@clara.net.

I am keen to learn as much as I can about the 1/17th. They were described in something I read as 'territorials', what exactly does this mean? Also does anyone have archive pictures of the men in this regiment?

John

John, it may be worth downloading the other copy too. I've got some literature on the 1/17th, if your interested PM me your email address and I'll drop you a copy,

cheers, Jon

2 Books that you may well find of use in providing a Deeper insight into the Movements and Actions of the 17th (Poplar & Stepney Rifles) are The History of the 47th London Division,and The Poplars by Ron Wilcox.My Gt.Uncle Rfmn Jack Ford served with the Poplars and was KIA at High Wood on 15.09.1916.,during the 47th London Divs Assault on High Wood.

Thanks for the advice - I have ordered both books. Obviously a lot of brave young men lost their lives serving in this regiment, sadly your great uncle included. My grandfather was very fortunate to survive the war but he didn't mention his exploits to anyone. Realising now that he was recognised for valour, I want to do justice to his memory by fully understanding his military career and particularly the circumstances surrounding his winning the MM. I hope that these books may provide some clues.

John

2 Books that you may well find of use in providing a Deeper insight into the Movements and Actions of the 17th (Poplar & Stepney Rifles) are The History of the 47th London Division,and The Poplars by Ron Wilcox.My Gt.Uncle Rfmn Jack Ford served with the Poplars and was KIA at High Wood on 15.09.1916.,during the 47th London Divs Assault on High Wood.

• 1 month later...

There is a photograph of the 1/17th London in my topic dated 27th March 2008 under Soldiers. Sorry for the delay but as a merchant navy master I'm away from home for some time so don't get onto the forum as often as I may wish.