The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Ernest James Rollings

charlesmessenger

Ernest Rollings was in 17th Battalion Tank Corps and on 8 August 1918 his armoured car section entered Framerville and seized German documents giving details of the Hindenburg Line defences. He earned a bar to his MC for this work. He was a long time member of the Police in Neath, South Wales. I am very keen to make contact with current members of his family and wonder whether anyone has knowledge of them.

This is a long shot I know, but then the GWF has never ceased to suprise me.

Charles M

Ernest Rollings was in 17th Battalion Tank Corps and on 8 August 1918 his armoured car section entered Framerville and seized German documents giving details of the Hindenburg Line defences. He earned a bar to his MC for this work. He was a long time member of the Police in Neath, South Wales. I am very keen to make contact with current members of his family and wonder whether anyone has knowledge of them.

This is a long shot I know, but then the GWF has never ceased to suprise me.

Charles M

Hi Charles M, Have you had a look on Ancestry? There is an Ernest T Rollings b1874 @ Hyope, Radnorshire on the 1901 census. He is a Police Constable and has a son Ernest J b1894, wife Emma , daughter Mabel E. Have you any more info. on any of the family?Regards, Barry

These are the only registrations for the name Rollings in Neath until 1970

Surname First name(s) Mother/Spouse/Age District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Births Jun 1924 (80%)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rollings Margaret E Davies Neath 11a 1827 ----- The mother of this child had the maiden name Davies

Marriages Jun 1925 (>99%)

Rollings Ernest J Smith Neath 11a 1788 ---------- Married Jennie N Smith

Births Mar 1928 (>99%)

ROLLINGS Geoffrey G Smith Neath 11a 1478 ---- Child of the above marriage

Enough to get you started

Regards

Phil

Very many thanks to you both. This much helps with the family background. I think, though, and thanks to Terry Powell, Secretary of the S Wales branch of the WFA, that I may have tracked down two living relatives.

Charles M