Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In From The Cold - 23.05.08

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualties to its Debt of Honour database today – Friday 23rd May.

Pte Alfred ALLEN

4223 8 Bn, Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Died 01.07.16 Age 25 - Killed in action

Commemorated: Thiepval Memorial, France

Cpl John William AMBROSE

3/8518 Suffolk Regiment

Died 20.07.17 Age 22 - Killed in action

Pte James Thomas ANDERSON

69045 2 Bn, Devonshire Regiment

Died 30.03.18 Age 26 - Killed in action

Commemorated: Pozieres Memorial, France

Pte Edward John ANDREWS

G/28506 1 Bn, East Surrey Regiment

Died 05.10.17 Age 22 - Killed in action

Commemorated: Tyne Cot Memorial, Belgium

Pte John APPLEBY

2282 1/5 Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers

Died 24.05.15 Age 23 - Killed in action

Commemorated: Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Belgium

Pte Sidney John ARCHER

G/69991 The Queen’s (Royal West Surrey Regiment)

Died 27.04.18 Age 19 - Killed in action

Commemorated: Pozieres Memorial, France

Pte Alfred ARNOLD

10941 2 Bn, Hampshire Regiment

Died 28.05.15 Age 35 – Killed in action

Commemorated: Helles Memorial, Turkey

Pte Richard ARNOLD

2362 7 Bn, Queen’s Own (Royal West Kent Regiment)

Died 01.07.16 Age 21 – Killed in action

Pte Hubert Roy ATHERTON

G/20071 28 Bn, Middlesex Regiment

Died 02.05.16 Age 24 – Suicide by drowning in River Nene

Commemorated: Brookwood (United Kingdom 1914-1918) Memorial, Surrey, UK

Gnr Joseph ATHERTON

299051 97/19 Bde, Royal Field Artillery

Died 12.07.20 Age 20 – Shot by accident

Commemorated: Basra Memorial, Iraq

Pte Arthur ATKIN

2840 1/6 Bn, North Staffordshire Regiment

Died 01.07.16 Age 23 – Killed in Action

Dvr Arthur ATKINS

206046 Royal Horse Artillery

Died 11.03.17 Age 29 – Died of illness (purpura haemorrhagica & anuria)

L/Cpl John AUSTIN

1521 East Lancashire Regiment

Died 10.06.15 Age 19 – Killed in action

Commemorated: Helles Memorial, Turkey

NOT FORGOTTEN

All the above casualties are further cases put forward by GWF as a result of the In From The Cold Project.

A brilliant effort on the part of the volunteers and long may it continue. If you can help the Project, please contact John Hartley by PM.

The above casualties were discovered by the following members:

ALLEN – apwright

AMBROSE – John Hartley

ANDERSON – Frajohn

ANDREWS – apwright

APPLEBY – Jimmy James

ARCHER – Jimmy James

ARNOLD, A – MagicRat

ARNOLD, R – MagicRat

ATHERTON, H R – Kevin O’Neill

ATHERTON, J – John Hartley

ATKIN – John Hartley

ATKINS – Kevin O’Neill

AUSTIN – Neil Mackenzie

MAY THEY ALL REST IN PEACE

A big pat on the back for the lads from the In From The Cold Project

Chris

WOW!!!!!!!!. Raising a glass to all those brought in from the Cold Today. Excellent effort by all those concerned.

This batch means that the In From The Cold Project has now been responsible for getting 17 men their due commemoration after 90 years in the wilderness.

Many more are in the pipeline.

If anyone is in two minds about the worth of undertaking the tedious checking required as part of the Project, the above is proof enough of its value. Congratulations to all our volunteers (We have room for more!).

I would also like to thank heartily the single member of the Forum who paid £250 to enable us to get the first batch of death certificates. He knows who he is. I hope your generosity has been repaid above.

Guest KevinEndon
I would also like to thank heartily the single member of the Forum who paid £250 to enable us to get the first batch of death certificates. He knows who he is. I hope your generosity has been repaid above.

and so say all of us.

Kevin

Terry.

Apologies if this has been answered before but will these men need to be added to the various Memorials listed or are they already on them and just missing from the online database.

Thanks.

Neil

Well done everyone, good result.

R.I.P. not forgotten.

Andy

Rest in Peace Alfred, John, James, Edward, John, Sidney, Alfred, Richard, Hubert, Joseph, Arthur, Arthur, and John.

I hope I haven't missed any of them out :)

A huge well done to all involved.

Cheers,

Carole.

Neil

All 'In From The Cold' Men and those other non-coms featured in these threads are totally new finds. They were previously uncommemorated.

They are both new to the CWGC database and to Memorials - or for that matter, to cemeteries (where a grave is known).

These men's names will appear on the designated memorials in due course - probably in a year or so.

Guest KevinEndon

Pals, I cannot go into words how to describe how I felt when I saw that my efforts have brought 2 men in from the cold and that their names will be remembered forever more, but I will try. The satisfaction knowing these 2 blokes will now have a place where people can go and see their names carved in stone is (wait for it) even better than the football.

If you feel that you want to do the searching but never got round to it then please do so, that way you will experience the feeling of satisfaction brought on by bringing names in from the cold.

Maybe other IFTC searchers can put into words what the feeling is like when you find a possibility and then it goes though to be granted and finding out how they died and where they will be remembered..

Kevin

The satisfaction knowing these 2 blokes will now have a place where people can go and see their names carved in stone is (wait for it) even better than the football.

Kevin.

I couldn't put it better myself!

Yes, the searching through the GRO is dull, dull, dull. Then I only had one man accepted out of the 15 or so I put forward for the A's which was initially quite disappointing to me but is in fact good news as it means that far fewer men have been missed than I originally anticipated.

But I am extremely pleased that my one man has been accepted and liked the fact he was East Lancs (not that I am from that part of the world). By coincidence I had been thinking about the East Lancs this week as I was at Aubers Ridge on Monday where so many men of that Regiment died in May 1915.

I have never been to Gallipoli but now I definately want to go although I think I will delay it a year or two so that when I do go hopefully 'my' lad will be on the Helles Memorial.

Neil

Very well put, Kev.

There is, without doubt, a sense of personal satisfaction in "bringing them in" that makes the long slog of working through the lists worthwhile. Of course, I get despondent about the tedium and have to put it to one side for a couple of weeks before starting another batch.

And, yes, we need more volunteers if we are to finish this before we're old folk. And, yes, we need to see the Project on some firmer financial footing - hopefully Terry will be able to use these results in his discussions with MoD/CWGC - they show that the numbers are sufficient to make it worthwhile, yet not too large than official funding for certificates couldnt be managed.

One of the things I'd hope now to do with those of the above who are "my" men is research them a bit more at least the "day they died" stuff. Outside of the project, I've brough local men "in from the cold". There's even more satisfaction in knowing who they were, perhaps seeing a photo in a newspaper obituary and, with three of the men, I've been able to include their stories in talks to local groups.

For me, "bringing them in" and finding what I can about their lives and deaths, really is what I mean when I say NOT FORGOTTEN.

John

• 1 month later...

Terry.

A check on the medal roll (WO329/2711) shows that 'my man' John Austin was in 1/4th East Lancs. The CWGC entry does not include his Battalion, can anything be done to get this updated?

Many thanks.

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

The War Diary for 1/4th East Lancs in respect of J Austin is as follows:-

5/5/1915

Bn embarked at Port Said on HT “Galeka” with the Transport on HT”Commodore”. 1 Officer and 12 OR remained at Port Said as Base Depot.

6/5/1916

Sailed at 7am

9/5/1915

Disembarked at Cape Hellas

25/5/1915

Bn moved to Pink House (168.I.6) and attached to 88th Brigade. A Coy were attached to 2nd Hants and B,C & D Coys to 4th Worcesters

26/5/1915

A Coy and 2 platoons of C Coy attd to 1st Essex remainder with 4th Worcesters. Bn HQ stayed at Pink House

28/5/195

There are no details but casualties for the day included 1521 L/Cpl Austin J (wounded).

Interestingly, the individual casualties of the BN are mentioned by name, rank and number even for their attacks on 4-6 June 1915 when the casualty list covered 4 ½ pages of the War Diary.

• 1 year later...

Dvr Arthur ATKINS

206046 Royal Horse Artillery

Died 11.03.17 Age 29 – Died of illness (purpura haemorrhagica & anuria)

Grave Found

Ladywell Cemetery Plot D Grave 2965

• 3 years later...

ATKINS, ARTHUR

Rank: Driver Service No: 206046 Date of Death: 11/03/1917 Age: 29 Regiment/Service: Royal Horse Artillery Grave Reference Plot D. Grave 2965. Cemetery LEWISHAM (LADYWELL) CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Husband of Mrs M Atkins, of 29 Bennett Street, Lewisham.

N.B.

Recent research has shown that Driver Atkins is buried here. The Commission is in the process of producing a headstone to mark his grave.

Commemoration Moved From UK BOR

• 5 years later...

Nice one