Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

STOCKPORT ENLISTMENT

ralphjd

John H, Cannot seem to get back to you via PM, so hope you read this post, the information on Lowcock is great, if you do not mind can I ask the following please, is that all in his obituary? which newspaper was it in? and where is St Georges Church. Regards Ralph.

Ralph

Can't recall which newspaper but if you get in touch with Stockport Local Heritage Library, they have an archive of obituaries and I'm sure would send you a photocopy. And, yes, all the info I sent you was culled from it.

St George's is on the A6, just south of the town centre and opposite the main town cemetery.

John

John, Its me again ! 1) do you know where the 10th Cheshires were when Harold Lowcock was killed? 2) is he commemorated inside/outside the church, if inside do you know when it is open (to take a photo). Sorry to be such a nuisance. Regards Ralph.

Ralph

Memorial is in the church grounds. My advice would be to park up in one of the town centre car parks (the one at the Station/Grand Central would be easiest if you can get on it). The Local Heritage Library is just opposite. 10 minutes walk south (out of town) is the church on the right (alternatively, you could park at the cemetery opposite.

Bad day for 10th Cheshires. http://www.stockport1914-1918.co.uk/battle...yraidontheenemy

Glad to be of help, mate.

John