The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dunmow

rgalley

I attach a couple of photos that I've recently acquired. One of these has 'Dunmow 11/4/16' written on it.

Is anyone out there able to identify the building. There are several more photos from the same collection, some of which appear to have been taken here as well and I will post these in due course.

The tennis playing chap in the second picture seems to be the common factor to many of the other military images

Here's a couple more that appear to be taken in, or close to, the same place as the 2 in the first post? I'm pretty sure that the the kilted chap on the right is London Scottish, but not sure about the one in the middle?

The chap on the left appears not to have a cap badge, nor any other means of identifying his unit as far as I can make out.

;)

hi piper,

...don't know if this helps, but there ae two Dunmows in essex. There is little dunmow and great dunmow. Have you tried the google earth site? This could possibly narrow it down for you, as the photies show a big house with a cricket pitch on it. Its worth a shot!

tim

This could possibly narrow it down for you, as the photies show a big house with a cricket pitch on it. Its worth a shot!

No evidence of a cricket pitch in the photos (they appear to be rolling a grass tennis court) which could just be a large lawn - lots of big houses with large lawns I imagine.

Just to make things more awkward Dunmow was sometimes used as a house name! The photos could be taken at a house called Dunmow - nowhere near the Dunmows

Member KateJ, if I recall, was a Dunmow 'expert'. have not see her being active lately but maybe worth a PM?

Ian

Thanks everyone. I know that Dunmow comes in 2 varieties(!), but the housename option is potentially a complicator. Never mind, the search goes on!

• 2 months later...

At first I thought that the big chimney might be from a hospital incinerator. Then I wondered if officers, which is what these men look like, wore hospital blues. Did they? So maybe this could be a convalescent hospital.

But then I thought, no, that is a brewery chimney, Probably HJ Burt brewery Great Dunmow. Gone now I think.

Alan

If it is being used as a covalescent home, might there be a listing in the hospitals thread?

Adrian

But then I thought, no, that is a brewery chimney, Probably HJ Burt brewery Great Dunmow. Gone now I think.

Alan

Thanks Alan and everyone else who's offered suggestions,

I did wonder about it being a brewery.

Anyone got any photos of the HJ Burt premises?

Richard

One more thought. The chap in the S..D. cap, is he wearing a hospital jacket in the last photo? His and the chaps next to him are wearing jackets in the middle photo that certainly look like hand outs from oxfam, ie replacements. My mistake also, one of the men is a corporal.

Alan

No sign of H J Burt, or any other brewery, in the Dunmows in the 1914 Kellys directory. So no clues to location there. Over to you, I'm afraid - just sorting things out before I go on holiday.

Adrian