Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brothers killed 1st July 1916

Jonathan Saunders

As the 1st July 1916 was the largest single day for fatalities I was just wondering if any one knew how many brothers were killed on this day (or if possible dow within 2/3/4 days).

Regards,

Jonathan S

I've two pairs from Shropshire, but none from 01/07/1916, having said said out of the 4,000 names i have only 24 fell on the first day of the Somme.

BROWN, BASIL HUTTON L'OSTE Private 907050 Canadian Infantry (Saskatchewan Regiment) 28/04/1917 ? France Vimy Shifnal

BROWN, LIONEL CUNNINGHAM L'OSTE Private 907155 Canadian Infantry (Saskatchewan Regiment) 28/04/1917 ? France Vimy Shifnal

HEWITT, GEORGE Private 11460 King's Shropshire Light Infantry 25/09/1915 22 Belgium Ypres Whitchurch

HEWITT, THOMAS Private 9304 King's Shropshire Light Infantry 25/09/1915 24 Belgium Ypres Whitchurch

Feel free to add these to your site Chris

Chris - many thanks.

I have 4 or 5 sets of brothers who died same day in Royal Navy. Are you interested in these for your list and I will dig them out?

Regards,

Jonathan S

Brothers killed on board HMS VANGUARD, destoryed by internal explosion 9 July 1917:

RN Stoker 1st Class K/23208 LUCKHURST Clarence Victor 20 Son of Albert John and Celia Luckhurst of 26 Shortlands Rd., Sittingbourne, Kent. Native of Faversham, Kent.

RN Stoker 1st Class K/28536 LUCKHURST William 19 Son of Albert John and Celia Luckhurst of 26 Shortlands Rd., Sittingbourne, Kent. Native of Faversham, Kent.

RN Stoker 1st Class SS/115048 SINDEN Alfred John 20 Son of Harry and Francis Sinden of Lodge Oak Lane, Tonbridge, Kent.

RN Stoker 2nd Class K/21360 SINDEN Charles Henry 22 Son of Harry and Francis Sinden of Lodge Oak Lane, Tonbridge, Kent.

RN Petty Officer 189723 WARNE John William 36 Son of the late Moses and Harriet Warne; husband of Louisa Warne of 18 Evelyn Terrace, Kew Foot Rd., Richmond, Surrey.

RN Able Seaman J/37401 WARNE William Harry 17 Son of the late Moses and Harriet Warne.

RN Able Seaman J/39528 HAMMERSLEY Samuel Bruce 19 Son of Elizabeth Ann Hammersley of 18 Dublin St., Darlington, and the late Henry Hammersley.

RN Ordinary Seaman J/61683 HAMMERSLEY William Henry 21 Son of Elizabeth Ann Hammersley of 18 Dublin St., Darlington, and the late Henry Hammersley.

The Fullers are not identifiable as brothers from CWGC but were confirmed as brothers by a descendant:

RMB Musician RMB/675 FULLER James Nap. Gravenor 33 Son of Thomas Steven Fuller.

RN Able Seaman 238897 FULLER Robert James 26 Husband of the late Rose Sarah Fuller (nee Harden).

And should you be interested, the father and son:

RN Stoker 1st Class K/25596 COOMBES George Frederick Thomas 20 Son of Matilda Coombes of 8 Toulmin St., Gt. Suffolk St., Borough, London. Native of Camberwell.

RN Stoker 2nd Class K/39370 COOMBES George Thomas 40 Husband of Matilda Coombes of 8 Toulmin St., Gt. Suffolk St., Borough, London. Native of Camberwell.

Apologies for formatting.

Regards,

Jonathan S

Guest geoff501
As the 1st July 1916 was the largest single day for fatalities I was just wondering if any one knew how many brothers were killed on this day (or if possible dow within 2/3/4 days).

Perhaps I should run my 'brother finder' software on this . It added a few hundred to the Gallipoli Brothers project. (used pattern recognition to match up parents/home address).

Guest geoff501
Geoff - it is not an important question but if you have time you might like to employ your "brother finder" and add to this list:

http://www.1914-1918.net/heroes/brothers2.htm

Jonathan S

Goal posts a bit different on this one than the Gallipoli run, which took weeks. A little over 8,000 1st July records with "son of.....", searching within these produced three sets, the first set having a third son killed less than 3 weeks later. I think they are not on the LLT list.

(the typo in the second record (Gearge) needs editing)

Name: BAILEY, GEORGE

Initials: G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Norfolk Regiment

Unit Text: 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 01/07/1916

Service No: 13509

Additional information: Son of W. and Louisa Elizabeth Bailey, of West Rudham, King's Lynn, Norfolk. His brothers Ernest and Robert also fell.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 1 C and 1 D.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Name: BAILEY, ROBERT

Initials: R

Service No: 12966

Additional information: Son of W and Louisa Elizabeth Bailey, of West Rudham, King's Lynn, Norfolk. His brothers Ernest and Gearge also fell.

Grave/Memorial Reference: VIII. M. 2.

Cemetery: DANTZIG ALLEY BRITISH CEMETERY, MAMETZ

Name: BAILEY, ERNEST

Initials: E

Date of Death: 19/07/1916

Service No: 12991

Additional information: Son of W. and Louisa Elizabeth Bailey, of West Rudham, King's Lynn, Norfolk. His brothers George and Robert also fell.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 1 C and 1 D.

Name: LOUNSBACH, JOSEPH

Initials: J

Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment

Unit Text: 22nd Bn.

Service No: 21269

Additional information: Son of E. and Mary A. Lounsbach, of 11, Telford St., Cheetham, Manchester.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 13 A and 14 C.

Name: LOUNSBACH, HENRY

Initials: H

Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment

Unit Text: 22nd Bn.

Service No: 20239

Additional information: Son of Edward and Mary Ann Lounsbach, of 11, Telford St., Cheetham, Manchester.

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. E. 4.

Cemetery: DANTZIG ALLEY BRITISH CEMETERY, MAMETZ

Name: WALLACE, JOSEPH

Initials: J

Regiment/Service: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Unit Text: 10th Bn.

Service No: 16072

Additional information: Son of Mrs. Mary Ann Wallace, of Coole, Castleroe, Coleraine, Co. Derry.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 4 D and 5 B.

Name: WALLACE, ROBERT

Initials: R

Regiment/Service: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Unit Text: 9th Bn.

Service No: 19526

Additional information: Son of John and Mary Ann Wallace, of Coole, Castleroe, Coleraine, Co. Derry.

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. A. 2.

Cemetery: CONNAUGHT CEMETERY, THIEPVAL

Interesting that in each case one brother was lost and another buried.

Jon

Had a similar occurance with a set of brothers I was researching (admittedly not Somme casualties). Both killed on the same day, serving with the same unit during fighting in the Balkans. One is on the Doiran memorial & the other is buried in the Doiran Military Cemetery.

These 2 lads are Brothers from Mansfield Woodhouse:

Name: PAYLING

Initials: A

Regiment/Service: York and Lancaster Regiment

Service No: 14948

Grave/Memorial Reference: V. D. 23.

Cemetery: BLIGHTY VALLEY CEMETERY, AUTHUILE WOOD

Name: PAYLING, CHARLES

Initials: C

Regiment/Service: York and Lancaster Regiment

Unit Text: 9th Bn.

Service No: 14952

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 14 A and 14 B.

• 3 weeks later...

With the assistance of Grendav I have recently discovered my Grandfather and his brother were both killed on the 1st of July 1916 whilst both were serving with 10th batt Green Howards.

Private Matthew Gardner and his younger brother Private David Gardner. Both are listed on the CWGC site but sadly Davids surname is spelt incorrectly, Gardiner as opposed to Gardner. A transcript from the mens local newspaper gives David as being lost between the 1st and 3rd of July 1916 but the CWGC citation gives him as being killed on 1st July 1916.

With the kind help of Grendav another piece of historical jigsaw is fitted into the big picture.

Pabbay

With the assistance of Grendav I have recently discovered my Grandfather and his brother were both killed on the 1st of July 1916 whilst both were serving with 10th batt Green Howards.

Private Matthew Gardner and his younger brother Private David Gardner. Both are listed on the CWGC site but sadly Davids surname is spelt incorrectly, Gardiner as opposed to Gardner. A transcript from the mens local newspaper gives David as being lost between the 1st and 3rd of July 1916 but the CWGC citation gives him as being killed on 1st July 1916.

With the kind help of Grendav another piece of historical jigsaw is fitted into the big picture.

Pabbay

Two other brothers killed 1st day of the Somme, William and Lewis Bell, both A Company Lonsdale Pals, put into other htread on brothers as well