Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L/Cpl George Foster

Peter Bennett

I am helping a friend trace his Grandfather's birth certificate. SDGW states George Foster was born in Liverpool, enlisted Dewsbury. He was married at Dewsbury Register Office and his marriage certificate for June 1913 shows him to be a widower aged 35. His father, also George Foster (deceased) was a brickmaker by trade.

My friend has applied to Liverpool Register Office but without the correct quarter and registration district they have been unable to locate his birth details.

Can anyone please help or advise.

Thank you

Peter

Name: FOSTER, GEORGE

Initials: G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Unit Text: 6th Bn.

Date of Death: 15/09/1916

Service No: 14916

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 11 C and 12 A.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Peter

I’m sometimes a little suspicious about the place of birth as recorded by SDGW. Do you have any other evidence to back up his birth as being in Liverpool?

From his wedding certificate , we know his age at marriage (suggesting he was born in 1877 or 1878), his father was George (deceased), a bricklayer. And he was married in Dewsbury.

Looking at the 1881 census, the nearest to his date of birth, there is a George Foster, a 27 year old Bricklayer, married to Ann (25) and living at Haven (Haver?) Lane in Peasholme, York. He has a son, George aged 3, but both are shown as being born in York.

So we have the same age, same father’s name, same occupation, living in Yorkshire, but different place of birth.

Even if we take this as being “your” man, there are over 40 births registered in Yorkshire during 1877/1878 for George Foster. Some of them could perhaps be excluded due to being quite a distance from York, there are also quite a few with a middle name – did “your” George have a middle name?

FreeBMD shows three George Fosters born in the Liverpool [/u]area[u] in 1877-1879:

1st- regd at West Derby, which covered a lot of the outlying districts, first quarter of 1877, vol. 8b, page 617.

2nd-regd at Prescot, first qr, 1879, vol 8b, p.769

3rd- regd at Ormskirk, also first qr 1879, vol 8b, p. 851.

None for the actual Liverpool registration district itself.

Worth a look?

Daggers

FreeBMD shows three George Fosters born in the Liverpool [/u]area[u] in 1877-1879:

1st- regd at West Derby, which covered a lot of the outlying districts, first quarter of 1877, vol. 8b, page 617.

2nd-regd at Prescot, first qr, 1879, vol 8b, p.769

3rd- regd at Ormskirk, also first qr 1879, vol 8b, p. 851.

None for the actual Liverpool registration district itself.

Worth a look?

Daggers

Thanks Daggers, the West Derby one does not have the correct father's details according to Liverpool Register Office.

Peter

Peter

I’m sometimes a little suspicious about the place of birth as recorded by SDGW. Do you have any other evidence to back up his birth as being in Liverpool?

From his wedding certificate , we know his age at marriage (suggesting he was born in 1877 or 1878), his father was George (deceased), a bricklayer. And he was married in Dewsbury.

Looking at the 1881 census, the nearest to his date of birth, there is a George Foster, a 27 year old Bricklayer, married to Ann (25) and living at Haven (Haver?) Lane in Peasholme, York. He has a son, George aged 3, but both are shown as being born in York.

So we have the same age, same father’s name, same occupation, living in Yorkshire, but different place of birth.

Even if we take this as being “your” man, there are over 40 births registered in Yorkshire during 1877/1878 for George Foster. Some of them could perhaps be excluded due to being quite a distance from York, there are also quite a few with a middle name – did “your” George have a middle name?

Thanks Stephen, the marriage certificate does not record a middle name. The York theory is a very good one apart from the father's occupation being a BRICKMAKER as opposed to a Bricklayer but this could be yet another error.

I will go back to my friend with these replies.

Peter

Presume his service record does not exist?

Ian

Ian, sorry to be a bit dim, what do you mean by his service record.

Peter

Ian, sorry to be a bit dim, what do you mean by his service record.

Peter

Peter,

If his army service record survives, then it will have his place of birth and next of kin info. It might help you.

Ian

Looking at the Dewsbury connection, could this be him?

Births Dec 1877

--------------------------------------------

FOSTER George Dewsbury 9b 639

Might be worth getting this certificate to check out the info on it. Cost a few pounds I know, but it seems a reasonable avenue to follow?

Ian

There are papers on Ancestry for George Foster dated May 1910 in Territorial Force age given at that date 18 years six months occupation bricklayer Regiment West Yorkshire enlisted Leeds not Liverpool. Mobilization address: Rifleman G. Foster,6 Craven Terrace , Carlton House, Leeds-Sent by 8th West Yorkshire Regiment.

Problem is it has orginal numbering his number being 1133 and does not show new number after re-numbering.

Birth parish given as Woodhouse Yorks

This could be a complete red herring but age occupation regiments being Yorkshire may fit your man.

I cannot see any match to Liverpool in Yorkshire regiment or with the number you quote but then knowing the filing system it maybe present but hidden.

• 1 year later...

Just bumping this up again. I have tried to find his service record on Ancestry but to no avail.

Praying for a miracle

Thank you

Peter