Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Welsh or Dublin Fusilier

welshdoc

I have a medal to 10188 W. Stevens R.W. Fus. However checking the online Mics there is no match and the number is to another man, nor is there a near number match between Stevens and the RWF . The only match i can find is to A Royal Dublin Fusiliers man who landed on V beach Gallipoli and killed 5 days later (CWGC and soldiers died). I can only at this time presume that there was an error in the impression of the medal so Im hoping that the resident Royal Welsh and Royal Dublin experts may be able to shed some light on the issue. Also if anyone can have a quick look on Ancestry Id be much obliged. Gaerth

I have a medal to 10188 W. Stevens R.W. Fus. However checking the online Mics there is no match and the number is to another man, nor is there a near number match between Stevens and the RWF . The only match i can find is to A Royal Dublin Fusiliers man who landed on V beach Gallipoli and killed 5 days later (CWGC and soldiers died). I can only at this time presume that there was an error in the impression of the medal so Im hoping that the resident Royal Welsh and Royal Dublin experts may be able to shed some light on the issue. Also if anyone can have a quick look on Ancestry Id be much obliged. Gaerth

10188 is Pte F Carpenter, 1st RWF, landed F&F Oct 1914 and taken prisoner. Survived.

Thanks Grumps, more than confirms my information. Is there likely to be a 10188 number in the second battalion?

Thanks Les, I will have to wait for the next lot of MIcs to be released and take a trip to the library. Im almost convinced that the Dublin Fusilier is the correct man which means there must be an error in either the original MIC or the engraver on the medal. But it looks like I have an interesting research project. Gareth

Thanks Grumps, more than confirms my information. Is there likely to be a 10188 number in the second battalion?

No, the RWF number very probably unique.

To follow up another question does anybody on the forum know if a royal Dublin Fusilier medal would be stamped R.D.F. or R. Dub F.?

I've not got one in my collection, but following the rule of thumb I'd say it'll be more like "R Dub Fus" (but this is only assumption - aka the mother of all c*ck ups)

Les

my grandads medals are stamped.

QSA ROY DUB FUS with small r s raised [after fus].

KSA ROY DUB FUS " " " " " " .

14/15 STAR R.DUB.FUS.

B W M R.D.FUS.

VICTORY R.D.FUS.

MSM 6/R.D.FUS:

MIKE.

Les, it may be a cock up , but I paid a RWF single victory price for it ! :rolleyes: . I know its near impossible to prove but what a research project. As for cock ups I have a pair of Lincs rgt medals with Lanc R impressed on them. So I think there is plenty of scope for mistakes. I think your correct about the naming but Ive not seen one . Gareth

Thanks to all for the helpful information, Im now sure the medal is both genuiine and to the Dublins. A such Stevens appears to be one of a group of men who enlisted to the 1st Dublins in Worley London amounst those were

Tidiman, William 10185 Private Died 25/4/15

Rawlinson, Philip 10186 Bandsman Died 26/4/15

Remon, J 10187 Private Died 25/4/15

Stevens, William 10188 Lance Corporal Died 30/4/15

this suggests they were in the same company and were 1st day landers on V beach. Thats got to be as unlucky a sequence of recruits are there could be, all 4 dead in 5 days in Gallipoli