Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ross Mountain Battery

Guest alifin

My grandfather was in the Ross Mountain Battery in the Dardanelles during the first world war.This is the limit of my information,could anyone fill in some more information?

The Ross and Cromarty Battery were part of the 4th (Highland) Mountain Brigade RGA. The Battery comprised 4 x 10 pounder mountain guns. It was mobilised and concentrated at Bedford in October 1914. The Brigade was allocated to 29th Division.

They were earmarked to land at Cape Helles by 1200 hours on the first day of the Gallipoli landings. They came ashore between 28th and 30th April, 1915. While on Gallipoli, the Brigade was attached as GHQ troops. Then they joined the Suvla Bay landings on 7th August, being the first artillery ashore in support of the infantry of 11th Division.

After Gallipoli was evacuated, the Brigade was allocated as GHQ troops for the Western Frontier Force, which was protecting the Suez Canal. Then, at the end of 1915, the Ross and Cromarty Battery was transferred to Salonika. It contributed to some of the battles against the Bulgarians near Lake Dojran. This was on the border between Greece, Bulgaria and Serbia.

See attached map:

post-2-1076790990.jpg

The "Sword of the North" by Dugald MacEchern, 1923, has a chapter on the Ross and Cromarty Highland Mountain Battery, RGA RF with extensive photos. What was your grandfather's name. Regards. Dick Flory

alifin,

I'm copying the particular chapter of 'Sword' Dick mentions for someone else - e-mail you address and I'll send you a copy.

What was grandfather's name ?

Jock

• 10 months later...
alifin,

I'm copying the particular chapter of 'Sword' Dick mentions for someone else - e-mail you address and I'll send you a copy.

What was grandfather's name ?

Jock

Hi Jock, any chance of a look at this also? My grandfather, Donald Mackay, from Barvas, Isle of Lewis was in this unit and was at Gallipoli and Salonika.

Cheers

There seems to be some lingering confusion regarding exactly what happened on 25 April, but there is strong evidence that one section of the Ross & Cromarty Battery and one section of the Argyll Battery, both of the 4th Highland Mountain Brigade, RGA, TF, came ashore on the 25th (afternoon or early evening) with the initial landings at 'W' beach. Both batteries were supposed to come in on the heels of the infantry in the morning, but the fierce resistance encountered there caused delays and changes all around (See 29th Divisional Artillery War Record and Honours Book 1915-1918). To quote from the "History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery - The Forgotten Fronts and the Home Bases 1914-1918" comments about the events of 25 April, "By nightfall the only guns ashore were 26th Field Battery, four guns of the Argyllshire Battery RGA and a section of 4.5 inch howitzers of the 92nd Battery." These batteries (The Ross Mountain Battery and the Argyll Mountain Battery) were confused one for the other from time to time and I think the contingencies of the moment allows for that. Eyewitness accounts written by members of the Ross Battery seem to substantiate their presence (see "The Last Warrior Band" by Colin Mackenzie). During the preparation for and initial deployment on Gallipoli, the 4th Highland Mountain Brigade was assigned to the 29th Divisional Artillery (see "29th Divisional Artillery War Record and Honours Book 1915-1918") and remained part of that Division's Artillery until they were withdrawn to prepare for the Suvla Bay landings where they were assigned, as stated, to the 11th Division.

That's as I read it, however, as I said there will probably always be some differences and I welcome discussion.

Mike Morrison

• 1 year later...
Hi Jock, any chance of a look at this also? My grandfather, Donald Mackay, from Barvas, Isle of Lewis was in this unit and was at Gallipoli and Salonika.

Cheers

Hi Glyn_Mo,

I have just noticed this post.

I am aware of 4 Donald Mackay's who served with the Ross Mountain Battery, but only 1 from Barvas.

No 4369 Gunner Donald Mackay Royal Garrison Artillery (R & C Mountain Battery).

Landed in Gallipoli 25/04/15 (Entitled to 1915 Trio).

Was awarded the Serbian Gold Medal for Bravery L.G. 15/02/17.

• 9 years later...
Guest macleodnesslewis

my Wife's father, John MacLeod, from Ness, Isle of Lewis, was in the Ross Mountain Battery during WW1.

He landed in Galipolli where one of his friends, John Martin fell during the landings but orders were not to stop for anyone being killed or injured. He later found that he had survived and after the war entered the ministry where her Dad found him preaching at the Church of Scotland in Glass, near Huntly. By this time her Dadpost-124321-0-86589400-1453124075_thumb. had become a phycisian and Surgeon practicing firstly in Skipton/Leeds and lastly Ingleton before he moved to Biggar just before WW11 started. His last post was in Fraserburgh where he died in 1957 just after his retirement and is buried in the local cemetry. I have a photo of the men in his detachment which I thought may be of interest on the forum. Her Dad is the one on the right at the front with he dog which I presume was maybe the mascot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Anyone interested may find my uncle's book helpful:
https://www.abebooks.co.uk/first-edition/Last-Warrior-Band-vols-Lewis-Connection-Gallipoli/15178790357/bd

get you local library to borrow it (3 vols)

• 3 years later...

Hi folks, I am researching a David McKay of the 6th bn, Seaforth Highlanders. He died in 1919 and was recorded as an army pensioner ,aged 21. I know he received the silver war badge for services rendered- an award eventually given to all soldiers who could no longer actively serve due to injury or illness brought on by their service. At the time of his death his service number was 267543 which I think was given to him when he was retired. I do however have a 4 digit service number linked to his name- 5180.

Having read through the Dingwall Roll of Honour, several of the service number for the 4th Ross Battery/Munitions Column, are in the late 4000 in to the 5000. I cannot however find any trace of David McKay anywhere. I have tried the Bute museum with no luck either as they have the Argyll names only. Would a anybody know whether it is likely that 5180 would be a service number linked with the Ross Mountain battery. I know the majority of the men in the munitions column were enlisted from Dingwall.

Ammunitions Column, Ross Mountain Battery.jpg

Welcome to the Forum,

The number is nothing to do with Ross Mountain Battery. It is simply his original number in the 6th Bn. Seaforth Highlanders before being renumbered with a six digit number.

Mackay.jpg.669902829ebbb982252e4b273ed9253a.jpg

Image courtesy Ancestry

• 2 months later...

Good Afternoon,

During my family history search, my Grandfather Donald McIntosh born 7 Feb 1900, his Police record stated that he served for 5 years in the Ross Mountain Battery and also stated that he was gassed but not badly. Reading the thread I don't see any mention of being on the Western Front???? I do not have a service number but he was born in the Dingwall area. Any help gratefully received. 

Welcome to the Forum,

There is a service record for a Donald McDonald McIntosh from Dingwall who enlisted in the Ross Mountain Battery in early 1914. His father lived at (what looks like) Crawford Street, Dingwall. There is also a Gas Shell Wound in 1918. If this sounds the right person then I can tell you a bit more.

Dave,

That could be him, did they allow them to enlist as young as 14? I'm just checking if he lived in Crawford St. 1918 gas shell wound and the length of service are about right.

Mac

A little later he has his next of kin down as Mrs. B. McIntosh of 2 Grant Street, Dingwall. Length of service given as 4 years 212 days.

Right then, his numbers were 4855 in the Ross battery, but he was transferred to Nottinghamshire RHA and given 612540. He didn't serve with Notts RHA but he joined 394th Battery which was affiliated to it. Probably due to his age he was kept back from service overseas and placed in C Mountain Battery, No. 5 Reserve Brigade TF, Scotton Camp, Catterick, and it was from there he was posted to 394th Battery at Woodbridge in Suffolk. There was another spell in A Battery, No. 6 Reserve Brigade TF, Luton before his posting to France in March 1918. The crucial bit is his posting to 52nd Battery, 15th Brigade RFA on June 27, 1918 and his wounding on September 19, 1918. It says it was "severe" and he was in hospital for over 2 months.

This is all from a surviving service record which you will find on Ancestry or Findmypast

Edited by David Porter

• 4 weeks later...