Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In From The Cold - 21.05.08

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualties to its Debt of Honour database today – Wednesday 21st May.

Pte John Frederick ADEY

G/8157 1 Bn, East Surrey Regiment

Died 08.05.17 Age 25

Commemorated: Arras Memorial, France

Pte Daniel COWEN

22633 Depot, Essex Regiment

Died 07.03.18 Age 40

Buried: Dalton-in-Furness Cemetery, Lancs, UK

NOT FORGOTTEN

Pte ADEY is another success for the In From The Cold Project – the second in what we expect to be a long line of successes. This casualty was found by member, apwright.

Pte COWEN was put forward by GWF on 28.01.08 on behalf of member, Northern Soul.

MAY THEY REST IN PEACE

Rest in Peace John and Daniel

Raising a glass to the memory of John & Daniel tonight. Another great result for the IFTC project regarding John Adey. Also a big well done to Andy (Northern Soul) for bringing Daniel Cowen in from the cold. I know Dalton well, was Daniel a local man? (I'm assuming he was as I remember a number of Cowen's at school)

-------------- I know Dalton well, was Daniel a local man? (I'm assuming he was as I remember a number of Cowen's at school)

Yes, he was Will, although I'm not certain where he was born. He had been a Regular and had served in the Sudan and then re-enlisted on the outbreak of war. Unfortunately his full Service Papers have not survived but I know he fought at Gallipoli and was then stationed in Egypt as part of the 1st (Garrison) Battalion, Essex Regiment. Here he contracted T.B. and was invalided home and discharged under Para 392 (xvi) of King's Regs; he died a few months later.

I think he left about six children, so the Cowen's you were at school with would have probably been descendents. Co-incidentally, one of his daughters who was only six, died just before him and they are buried together. Currently he has no headstone, an omission which will be now corrected in due course.

Best wishes.

Andy.

Yes, he was Will, although I'm not certain where he was born. He had been a Regular and had served in the Sudan and then re-enlisted on the outbreak of war. Unfortunately his full Service Papers have not survived but I know he fought at Gallipoli and was then stationed in Egypt as part of the 1st (Garrison) Battalion, Essex Regiment. Here he contracted T.B. and was invalided home and discharged under Para 392 (xvi) of King's Regs; he died a few months later.

I think he left about six children, so the Cowen's you were at school with would have probably been descendents. Co-incidentally, one of his daughters who was only six, died just before him and they are buried together. Currently he has no headstone, an omission which will be now corrected in due course.

Best wishes.

Andy.

Thanks for the additional info Andy.............It is good to hear he will be getting a headstone for his grave... I assume this is going to be a CWGC stone & that being so I also assume it will not mention his daughter buried in the same grave (as she doesn't quality for a war grave)

• 1 year later...

Seeing as how, elsewhere on this forum, unrestricted "CWGC bashing" appears to be in full sway, I thought I'd post a photo of the new headstone that has been erected for Pte. Cowen. A neat reminder of the purpose for which the CWGC was set up - and a job I think that on the whole they do pretty well.

Andy.

post-754-1252421848.jpg

• 1 year later...

I was surprised to see that G/8157 John Frederick Adey, 1st Bn ESR, was only recently accepted for commemoration by the CWGC as he appears in the original volume of SDGW. He also appears in the 1st Battalion ESR other ranks alphabetical register, c,1916-19 held at the Surrey History Centre under their reference ESR/2/3/29 with reference to the battalion Part II Orders that also survive for 1915 to 1918 (SHC reference ESR/2/2/25).

Originally was he simply missed?

Regards

Bootneck