Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Rifle Brigade, Aubers Ridge

stiletto_33853

It’s always worth checking. Last evening I “found” a 1/RIR man who died of wounds on the 10th May. Buried at Pont-du-Hem MC, La Gorgue, he is listed as “J.” Clegg on the CWGC database. Rfn. Clegg’s Christian name was Alfred (two pages of his service record survive to prove this). I haven’t, as yet, had a chance to visit his grave, but suspect that it may well read “J.” rather than “A.”. I’ve dropped a line to the CWGC.

I wonder why Pont-du-Hem? I think a little investigation may be on the cards ……………..

V.

At least two of the 2nd Northamptons are at Pont-du-Hem.

Mehew, Alfred William, 16496, Private

Reported in Times: Wounded 10-6-15, Missing 24-6-15

Buried at Pont-Du-Hem Military Cemetery, La Gorgue, XI. D. 22.

Age 34

Enlisted at Kettering, Northants

Born at Woodford, Northants

Killed in action, 09-May-15

Son of William and Louis Mehew, of Mill Lane, Woodford; husband of Hannah Mehew, of High St., Woodford, Thrapston, Northants.; "B" Coy

Meekins, Walter, 16338, Private

No report found yet in Times

Buried at Pont-Du-Hem Military Cemetery, La Gorgue, V. B. 17.

Age Not stated

Enlisted at Rushden, Northants

Born at Irthlingborough, Northants

Died of wounds, 09-May-15

The cemetery has a fair few re-interments. I suspect they may have been some of the men who were reburied after the war.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. The only men I’ve researched before now who have been buried there have all been casualties of the 1916 battle (British and Australian). They’d been buried by the Germans.

I’m interested to see the details for your two men. So you’re another convert to The Times casualty lists. They’re an absolute pig to work through, but so worthwhile. They give information which I’ve been unable to locate elsewhere.

V.

Yes, like a list of the wounded, that almost ties into the figures in the War Diary!

Steve.

Exactly! Fantastic stuff!

V.

Excuse my ignorance, particularly bearing in mind the fact that I've already pounced on you for Fromelles - 2/Northants information, but are you doing The Times lists for the whole regiment?

V.

I'm trying to. The 1914 ones are particular horrible to go through. I have most of 1915, 1916 and early 1917 listed, but with some gaps it seems. I also have about a quarter of the Official Casualty lists entries from 1917-1918, in no particular order... (the latter being very sparsely entered onto my database)

Steve.

This is one of yours , I believe V:

post-6536-1239358047.jpg

Kettering Leader, 28-5-1915

Steve.

This is one of yours , I believe V:

He is indeed. Another name to another face. George Green will now be able to join his colleagues in our roll of honour next month.

Thank you.

V.

Another article on George Green (from the Northampton Independent).

post-6536-1239388926.jpg

Steve.

P.S. Pics all asembled now. 59 out of 162 of the KIA men (just over 30%). Now to add the details....

Pics all asembled now. 59 out of 162 of the KIA men (just over 30%). Now to add the details....

Thank you, Steve. Photos and newspaper articles for my 2/RB boys are incredibly difficult to get hold of. I know that they're out there - it's just finding them. The men came from all over and it's a job to track down the material.

Do you really have pictures for 59 out of 162 men? I'm staggered ...........

V.

Would I lie to you? :)

Yes, I do have 59 pics (though one is so awful, I probably won't send that). It's the benefit of a county regiment, I suppose....!

Steve.

Would I lie to you? :)

Yes, I do have 59 pics (though one is so awful, I probably won't send that). It's the benefit of a county regiment, I suppose....!

I didn't doubt you for a second ..... :rolleyes:

V.

• 2 months later...
Guest worthy_m

Hey all

I'm wondering how the memorial event went back in May? As I travel for work and was in Florida at the time, I wasn't able to make it, but are there any photos of the event - and most importantly - will it be happening next year? If it is, I'd like to get involved somehow, and will certainly book the time off well in advance!!

Guest mhanley
Mark,

You have no idea how delighted I am to make your acquaintance! I also wish you could have been at the Service on 9th May, but perhaps next year.

I have the most incredible respect for William Gray, as you may have gathered. I was aware of his brother having won the D.C.M. and have a wonderful account of it, if you're interested. I also have a fair bit of information relating to William which I'll put together for you. Can I just ask - is there any chance that you might have a photo of him which you'd be willing to share? I have both my fingers and toes crossed ………..

V.

Hi Victoria,

I do hope you do not mind me sending you this message but i think you may no something, although forgive me i do not no how deeply you have looked or if this is the correct area for you research.

my great, great gran father was in the krrcorps 2nd battalion in the 1st world war, His name was Frederick hanley roll number 5484 he died leaving to small sons and a widow. His widow remarried a man by the surname of wilson, all the futher gererations mixed things up and thought that his widow and small sons had been taken on by a man by the surname of hanley so this name was not our true blood name.

Yet it was and fred hanley died a hero and no one even knew, how sad! They even had a photo and a medal of his (fred) but always told us it was a step grandad when in fact the step grandad was and man of the name wilson. I am trying to uncover all i can on this man. I think its about time he had the credit that is long long over due.

I think from some of the posts i have read that you know about his battalion. I wonder if i am correct and if you would mind pointing me in any direction as to this matter. What i have found is that he died of wounds and he is burried in BETHUNE TOWN CEMETERY Any info you or anyone has it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks indeed Michelle

The 2nd King's Royal Rifle Corps (of 2nd Brigade, 1st Division) were in the Southern Attack at the battle of Aubers Ridge - a mile or so south-west of the area where 2nd Rifle Brigade were. They were the second wave of attack that went in after the 1st Battalion of the Northamptonshire Regiment.

Whilst I don't have a description of what the 2nd Kings Royal Rifle Corps faced, the following is a letter describing the attack as the Northamptons found it:

Peterborough Advertiser 19th June 1915

Sergeant Yerrells Story of the 9th

Sergeant S Yerrell of the 1st Northamptonshire Regiment, whose mother lives at 78 Belsize Avenue, writes, “I hope you will be able to find space to insert this letter from two or three men of Peterborough who have been out here fighting since 12th August (1914) with the 1st Northants thus having been had about ten months good fighting. The names of us are, Corporal Bradley, Lance Corporal B. Cape {believed to be Cope, not Cape}, Private J Davey and the writer, Sgt S Yerrell. I will do my best to give you an idea of what it was like on the 9th of May, when our regiment suffered great losses. We were marched off on the night of the 8th to take up our position in the trenches, and the men went with good heart and only too eager to grapple with the enemy. All instructions were given to the men before hand as to what they had to do. The morning of the 9th broke upon us with the sun shining on the battlefield, the birds giving us a cheerful song as he partook of a little food just before the great attack. At 5am we heard the tumbling sound overhead, as if a lot of machines were working, it was the opening up of the bombardment by our artillery, by looking over the trench and seeing houses brought down to the ground in a cloud of red and black smoke, we knew that it was the firing of our big gun known to us as “Mother”. It fired three or four times when all of a sudden about a thousand guns of different calibre opened fire with terrible rapidity, and it was as if the air was alive with shells which played “Old Harry” with the enemy’s trenches. We crouched down behind our own trenches waiting for the word “Advance” whilst shells went on before us with a message of death, playing havoc with everything in front. At last the watches of the officers pointed to 5.31am with the artillery still coughing, and the Germans answering with “Jack Johnsons” which the plugged into our trenches with showers of shrapnel over our heads. When the order came down the lines, “Over the top and advance” all the soldier, some of whom had been fighting for months, some of whom were about to have their baptism of fire, joined in the biggest attack ever known. It was grand to see how everyone behaved, for it was as if the whole army jumped up like one man to go out for their revenge on an enemy who had debased himself by murdering innocent women and children. We went out to meet the dreadful fire of machine guns and rifles amid a constant rain of bursting shells which decimated our men, but still they went on, but with one object in front of them, to drive the enemy from the position and gain victory for England.

The front line consisted of “B” and “D” Companies of the 1st Northamptonshire Regiment, and two companies of the Royal Sussex, who have proved themselves to be a good lot of fighters. With men falling all round, the two companies of our regiment went on until within 300 yards of the barbed wire, with the remainder of the regiment coming upon on our left and at the rear. At this point we found that we could not get any further, and one officer gave the command for his men to get in line with him and lie down, unlucky it was for him, for a shot killed him there and then. It was awful, for the enemy, knowing how they were fixed, fired on us with machine guns. Killing our wounded as they tried to crawl back to cover, and the other men who were at their mercy. It was the worst thing I have ever been through, when I could see what had happened I made for cover myself, whilst the artillery on both sides kept up a terrible fire. It was awful to see our wounded start to creep back, only to be hit once again, very often fatally, I was sick at heart, for as I looked round I could only see men who had answered their country’s call, and had bravely laid dowm their lives for England’s sake.

It was about 4 o’clock when the bombardment started afresh, and looking around I could see the famous regiment, the Black Watch, steadily advancing over the same ground that we had covered in the morning, they did indeed gain the enemy’s first trench, but soon afterwards were forced to leave it again. Towards night the firing slackened a little, and I waited patiently for darkness so that I could creep back out of the firing zone. At 10 o’clock I chanced it, running as fast as my legs could carry me until I reached my own trench. With one bound I was on the other side, not caring who was there but only wanting to gain my regiment, or what was left of it. I tell you, I said my prayers when I got there, and it was not the first time that day, nor was I the only man. You may guess what we thought when we looked around and saw what was left of the 48th.

Now these four me who I am writing for are doing their duty, and I want to ask if anyone will send us out such a thing as a mouthorgan or melodian. A good smoke or in fact anything to remind us of the good old city. We had one melodian which was sent by Mr Claypole in February but it was unlucky, for it got mixed up with a German “Jack Johnson” sometime in April, thus having a short life, if a merry one in the trenches. If anyone is so kindly inclined as to forward such a gift it would be very thankfully received by Sgt S Yerrell. “D” Company, 1st Northamptonshire Regiment, 2nd Infantry Brigade, 1st Division, BEF.

Since the above letter was received Mrs Yerrell has received notice from the War Office that Sgt Yerrell is in hospital at Wimereux suffering from Enteric Fever.

The 2nd KRRC attack followed closely behind the 1st Northamptons. The attack met with exactly the same end, with the soldiers of the K.R.R.C. being machine gunned down in front of the same field of barbed wire as the Northamptons.

I hope this gives some idea of what the morning of the 9th May 1915 was like....

Steve.

• 5 weeks later...
Victoria,

2nd Lt William Edmund Gray MC was my Great Grand Uncle (My Grandmother's Father's Brother). I have only just managed to scratch the surface of this strongly military side of the family (the majority of them being Grenadiers).

It may be of interest for you to know that little more than a year later, his younger brother, Lance Corporal Victory Gray (of 4th Battalion Middlesex Regiment) was awarded the DCM for his action at Kemmel.

If anyone can furnish me with any more details about 2nd Lt Gray I would love to know.

I would have loved to attend the memorial day and represent my Great Grand Uncle.

Kindest Regards

Mark.

Hi Mark, I am William Edmund Gray's Grandson. My father was Major Cecil Donald Gray MC. late of the HLI. How can I help? My name is Jonathan Gray.

Jonathan,

I’m delighted that you have joined the Forum. Mark and I have been absolutely desperate to track you down. Mark, as you’ve probably worked out, is a distant cousin of yours. He’s done an astounding amount of research into the Gray family. Your grandfather got a special mention during the 9th May commemoration this year at Fromelles. He was one of the true heroes of the 1915 battle.

Because you have made less than 10 posts, you cannot send or receive PMs. Can you therefore contact me at Victoria.Burbidge@ntlworld.com?

You say that you have photos. Please tell me that you have photos of William ............

V.

Hi Mark, I am William Edmund Gray's Grandson. My father was Major Cecil Donald Gray MC. late of the HLI. How can I help? My name is Jonathan Gray.

Johnathan,

A pleasure to meet you, my Great Grandfather was George William Gray, William Edmund Gray's older brother (one of them at least :) ) which makes me your second cousin once removed

I have been researching the military credentials of the Grays for some time now, as Victoria has mentioned, I have pretty much all of his "mentions in despatches" from the London Gazette, his MC and DSO awards from the same paper, a partial copy of his service record from the MOD, from Victoria I have an copy of a print of the William leading his men into the enemy trenches on the 9th of May and as you may see from other posts on this board, I, my sister and my mother attended the memorial service arranged by Victoria, where we were honoured to lay a wreath in Williams name.

I have a lot of questions, and like Victoria would love a picture of the great man.

I have a "fair bit" of information on the Grays which I would be delighted to share with you if it was of interest.

my email address is mark.vent@gmail.com and I would be delighted to hear from you.

Warmest Regards

Mark.

• 3 months later...

What a **wonderful** surprise to find this group so interested in the 2 Bn. Rifle Brigade - I have really enjoyed the wealth of information on this site!

My great uncle William F Tate (born 1891 in Coventry - William Frederick Augustus Take) served in this unit and died on May 9th, 1915.

He is memorialized as an unknown soldier at Ploegsteert, so I assume he perished at the Battle of Aubers Ridge. This matches with some anecdotal information passed down by my grandfather before he passed - that he was "cut down by machine gun fire in an ill-advised battle near La Bassee Canal". My grandfather also wrote that his brother once wrote to him from Rawalpindi, India.

From reviewing his (tattered and very hard to read!) Service Records it looks like he may have enlisted in 1908, been in Dublin in 1910, and spent some time in the "Territorial Force". There's more information on these records but it's difficult for me to understand.

As I try to piece together his military service, would anyone volunteer to attempt to decipher the service records that don't always make much sense to me? Over the summer I photographed their micro-filmed remains at Kew and I have the over-exposed online versions as well. My email address is john dot take at stantec.com

Hopefully there are a few more threads to this story just waiting to be pulled upon...

Thanks,

John Take

Welcome to the Forum, John.

There are quite a few of us here with interest in the Battle of Aubers Ridge. The 2nd Rifle Brigade's actions were close to where the Australian "Cobbers" Memorial is at Fromelles.

It has probably been referenced earlier in the topic but the following topic is highly recommended for a taste of the 2nd Rifle Brigade's pre-war experiences.

Steve.

• 1 month later...

Just a few weeks ago whilst researching my family tree I found that I had three great uncles, all brothers who had perished in the Great War. This came as a great shock because I had for the previous 66 years of my life no knowledge of this terrible loss.

These boys, all Ruffells from Guildford, William, Albert and Ernest lost their lives in very different circumstances. Albert, service No Z/34 was a Corporal in the 2nd Bn. The Rifle Brigade and died of wounds on the 15th May 1915 in his 23rd year. This would indicate that he was perhaps wounded in the battle at Aubers Ridge on the 9th May.

Ernest’s resting place is Jerusalem and William is buried in Turkey. Albert is buried at Merville Communal Cemetery, France.

For a number of years now, my wife and I travelled in France, using the A26 from Calais completely unaware of Albert lying there as we sped past.

In future we shall stop!

• 1 month later...

Hello I am new

My great uncle William Fellowes was Rifleman 1088 with the 2nd Bn Rifle Brigade, and he died Sunday 9th May 1915. He was 29, unmarried, had a twin sister (and other siblings) whom died in 1910. He is remembered on the plaque in the church at Yarwell, Cambs. So great to see these men are not forgotten.